damage from flying ice

dwtc

I just got back from a trip to Columbus and on my back I was passing a pickup truck pulling a big box trailer and all of the sudden a large sheet of ice came flying off the top of the trailer, I tried to swerve to miss it but it was flipping in the air and broke into several large pieces, I couldn't avoid all of them and one big piece hit the front on my Edge, the sound was terrible. I got to the next exit a couple of miles up the road and pulled over afraid to get out and look, I thought there would be a lot of damage. I am not happy about what I did find but at the same time I am glad it wasn't worse.

From what I can tell the lower spoiler is split/cracked, the lower grille is pushed back but I can't tell if it is broken or snapped out of the clips, the outside temp sensor is broken and the a/c condenser is bent. I was worried about the grille and bumper cover but at this time I didn't see any damage.

Just keep in mind when you are driving in cold weather and there are trucks with snow on them, watch out for flying ice. A few years ago I saw a full sized Dodge Ram that had a sheet of ice go through the windshield and tore up the roof and have tried to stay away from trailers on the highway, I was trying to get around this one but I wasn't fast enough.

Good advice. Sorry that happened to you and glad everyone is ok. Last week I was driving to work doing 55 and some jerk in a snow covered Jeep pulled out in front of me and had to slam on the brakes to avoid him while at the same time I was totally blinded by the snow flying off of his car. Appartently not just the roads that are dangerous in the winter.

Good advice. Sorry that happened to you and glad everyone is ok. Last week I was driving to work doing 55 and some jerk in a snow covered Jeep pulled out in front of me and had to slam on the brakes to avoid him while at the same time I was totally blinded by the snow flying off of his car. Appartently not just the roads that are dangerous in the winter.

Wow, that sucks. Yes, the snow coming off of roofs can blind you, there really is no excuse for not removing the snow on the roof of a vehicle (unless they are too large to reach the top) you just have to be so careful while driving in the winter.

Didn't you get him/her to pull over and exchange info for insurance purposes,ande ream the driver a new hole :censored:

I was on the highway and no good place to pull over, so I didn't know if or how much damage I would have, I had to go about 2 miles to the next exit. I did get there plates, It was a old couple and I don't think they even knew what happened. Most people wouldn't think about ice on there roof's. I don't know if the insurance can do anything about it but I will give them the info Monday.

I accidentally made a double post on this subject and thought I had posted photos but I guess I didn't so I will post them now.

post-7930-12662001117439_thumb.jpg

post-7930-12662001290071_thumb.jpg

post-7930-1266200168182_thumb.jpg