Found the horrible smell

igcitng

Dealer already called to tell me they cannot fix it. It needs a new 'special' revised seal that they have to order, will take three weeks. Three more weeks of nausea from the smell.

Can anyone enlighten me on this seal issue?

Said I could have a loaner next time no problem. They washed it. At least I will look good.

Dealer already called to tell me they cannot fix it. It needs a new 'special' revised seal that they have to order, will take three weeks. Three more weeks of nausea from the smell.

Can anyone enlighten me on this seal issue?

Said I could have a loaner next time no problem. They washed it. At least I will look good.

Then it may have turned out to be the PTU Seals. Hopefully it doesn't take the full 3 weeks. Most place over exaggerate how long it takes just to be on the safe side. :finger:

Then it may have turned out to be the PTU Seals. Hopefully it doesn't take the full 3 weeks. Most place over exaggerate how long it takes just to be on the safe side. finger.gif

I wondered that. Maybe they took it apart and saw more than they did Monday. I was told that they put in a rush order, "that means top priority" he says. Really? Why would I get priority over anyone else? He was trying to smooth things over even though I did not react to it. Guessing he thought I would go nuts after the whole offering me a loaner after I inconvenienced half the world today. wacko.gif

• 2 weeks later...

My wife just complained today of a burning smell but no smoke. Is this the same kind of odor??

No smoke. The smell is absolutely horrible. Very nauseating, at least to me. When I first smelled it I thought I was driving near a natural gas leak. When I got home and out of the car I realized it was the Edge. Get it checked for her.

I'm gonna have too. Apparently after asking her it's happened more than once. Just a relatively small odor right now.

Mine started after the Edge sat for about 6 weeks. At that point it was very cold out. At first it was once in awhile and then it was more often and it also happens sooner now. The other day it smelled before I even pulled out of the garage. Just today I got the call that the parts are in so tomorrow it is going back to the dealer.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm gonna have too. Apparently after asking her it's happened more than once. Just a relatively small odor right now.

Look in the maintenance section, there is a many page discussion on this. The problem seal is on the passenger side axle, it is a double seal. Both axle and PTU, that is why the red vs brown described above. You need to get under the car and look at the passenger side axle where it exits. It is right above the exhaust pipe, that is why the burning smell, it drips onto the hot exhaust and smells bad.

It will not get better if yours is leaking. It is worse in cold temps and after longer high speed drives and coming to a stop. Look in the maintenance section discussion and you will learn all about it in detail.

Here, I looked it up for you, click on this thread, 36 pages of information:

http://www.fordedgeforum.com/index.php?/topic/1654-burning-smell/page__st__700

Edited by TerryTwoUtes

• 9 months later...

Well just like many of you I have a 2007 Ford Edge SEL AWD. Great car other than this problem. It started in Sept of 2009 but no smell only a leak. Now for me it is a little more complex as I am in the US Air Force and I am based in Germany. The warranty is covered here at the local European Ford Garage, but it takes longer to get parts. So after about 30 days, $500 worth of rentals, and 4 visits to 2 different garages...The first garage said nothing was wrong. The second garage said there was a problem and replaced the seal kit twice then replace the entire PTU. Now a year later and I have both the odor and the leak(noticed it on the snow today). so now i must take it in to the German Ford Garage and hassle through the language barrier again to try and get my car fixed. it now has just under 40,000 miles and is just over 3 years old. thankfully it is still under the power train warranty!