Found the horrible smell

igcitng

Took the Edge in for an oil change and to ask about the horrible smell coming from underneath. I let the service manager know I had done some research and asked if it was maybe the PTU. Unfortunately since I had been driving it all morning the smell had gone away. He said they would be happy to check it out while it was up in the air.

Not the PTU. It is the front axle seal that is leaking. Have to find a time to leave it for the day when I can hitch a ride to work so they can replace it, maybe Friday.

This is the dealer that was so helpful after I had a tire rotation at another dealer in October and the Edge was pulling hard to the left. He made sure the tech knew about the front tires being switched at that time to properly rotate them today. The service manager came into the waiting room and sat down with me to explain what the leak was. Made my day to be treated so well. So nice not to be talked down to and scolded like the other dealer has done twice. Going for service does not seem so scary anymore. happy%20feet.gif

According to our dealer "you only get a loaner car with the extended warranty" :redcard:

i took our 07 in today for some work.

*PTU

*AC not working (sometimes does, sometimes doesn't)

*tranny seems to be slooooow to think

*wheel corosion (he said it was cleanable, i'll probably have to push this issue

*heater core issue (doesn't warm up properly, or at all at times

asked about a loaner "we don't have any right now" as usual. oh well.

So if the seals are in the same place shouldn't they replace both? I was told this seal is in the front in a different location than the PTU seal. Seems like whenever I think I got it I don't. Is there a diagram available to look at?

It is under warranty, I only have 10,000 miles on it. I was not offered a loaner. Maybe because I did not buy it there? Silly me, thinking if I bought a new car that I would not spend my days getting it fixed like the old one.

So if the seals are in the same place shouldn't they replace both? I was told this seal is in the front in a different location than the PTU seal. Seems like whenever I think I got it I don't. Is there a diagram available to look at?

It is under warranty, I only have 10,000 miles on it. I was not offered a loaner. Maybe because I did not buy it there? Silly me, thinking if I bought a new car that I would not spend my days getting it fixed like the old one.

Attached is a diagram of the PTU [its labeled as #12] the compression seal is #13 (part # 7086) [not sure if thats the same seal which leaks or not ]

post-8414-12662812760705_thumb.png

Edited by k_m

Attached is a diagram of the PTU [its labeled as #12] the compression seal is #13 (part # 7086) [not sure if thats the same seal which leaks or not ]

Thank you very much. To me it looks like one seal, #13. #12 is shown without a seal or is it assumed there is a seal? Or is #13 the double seal?

Thank you very much. To me it looks like one seal, #13. #12 is shown without a seal or is it assumed there is a seal? Or is #13 the double seal?

Just some tips to remember.

1) PTU Leaks From the RH Side

- If the leak is red automatic transmission fluid, then the PTU intermediate shaft seal needs replacement #1 from the attached diagram labeled "Intermediate & Cover seals Rt Hand Side". This is inside the bore of the PTU shaft behind the deflector

- If the leak is brown/black gear lube, then the PTU larger cover seal part needs replacement #3 from the attached diagram labeled "Intermediate & Cover seals Rt Hand Side". This is located on the PTU cover behind the deflector.

2) PTU Leaks From the LH Side

- If the leak is the red automatic transmission fluid, the compression seal needs replacement [#13] also see the other attached diagram breaking the compression seal into sections #1 is the PTU-to-transaxle compression seal (part # 7086) & #2&3 are the Transfer case driver gear seal which are included in the compression seal This is between the PTU and transmission.

- If the leak is brown/black, the PTU is overfilled and venting fluid from the top of the PTU. Flush and fill the PTU.

So I am not sure exactly what was meant by a double seal but the compression seal could technically be considered a double seal since it includes the Transfer case driver seal

Hope this helps put things into better perspective. :shades:

post-8414-12662910298367_thumb.png

post-8414-12662910423971_thumb.png

Edited by k_m

Took the Edge in for an oil change and to ask about the horrible smell coming from underneath. I let the service manager know I had done some research and asked if it was maybe the PTU. Unfortunately since I had been driving it all morning the smell had gone away. He said they would be happy to check it out while it was up in the air.

Not the PTU. It is the front axle seal that is leaking. Have to find a time to leave it for the day when I can hitch a ride to work so they can replace it, maybe Friday.

This is the dealer that was so helpful after I had a tire rotation at another dealer in October and the Edge was pulling hard to the left. He made sure the tech knew about the front tires being switched at that time to properly rotate them today. The service manager came into the waiting room and sat down with me to explain what the leak was. Made my day to be treated so well. So nice not to be talked down to and scolded like the other dealer has done twice. Going for service does not seem so scary anymore. happy%20feet.gif

That sucks that you are having a leak but good that you found a good service department to deal with. Most dealers don't have free loaner cars, Ford doesn't provide them for free unless you have the extended warranty but if you have a Lincoln product they give you a free loaner if they keep the vehicle over night, I think all dealers are different but this is what I have run into in my area (with having Ford and Lincoln products)

That sucks that you are having a leak but good that you found a good service department to deal with. Most dealers don't have free loaner cars, Ford doesn't provide them for free unless you have the extended warranty but if you have a Lincoln product they give you a free loaner if they keep the vehicle over night, I think all dealers are different but this is what I have run into in my area (with having Ford and Lincoln products)

Yeah, they seem decent enough. The fact that I did not leave mad is a good sign for me. My first service experience ever was with my first new car, a 1992 Grand Prix. It had electrical problems from the start, and when the power window stopped working the service guy asked me if I was sure it was broken or did I not know how to use it? Have never had a warm fuzzy feeling for service departments.

Back in the day the dealers used to hand out loaners but things changed about 10 years ago or so. I think a lot of it has to do with insurance and liability. At one point the Chevy dealer I went to offered to set up rentals thru Enterprise, but that was expensive. A day in the shop would cost two days rental. Ouch. Around here I notice a lot of luxury courtesy cars.

Just some tips to remember.

1) PTU Leaks From the RH Side

- If the leak is red automatic transmission fluid, then the PTU intermediate shaft seal needs replacement #1 from the attached diagram labeled "Intermediate & Cover seals Rt Hand Side". This is inside the bore of the PTU shaft behind the deflector

- If the leak is brown/black gear lube, then the PTU larger cover seal part needs replacement #3 from the attached diagram labeled "Intermediate & Cover seals Rt Hand Side". This is located on the PTU cover behind the deflector.

2) PTU Leaks From the LH Side

- If the leak is the red automatic transmission fluid, the compression seal needs replacement [#13] also see the other attached diagram breaking the compression seal into sections #1 is the PTU-to-transaxle compression seal (part # 7086) & #2&3 are the Transfer case driver gear seal which are included in the compression seal This is between the PTU and transmission.

- If the leak is brown/black, the PTU is overfilled and venting fluid from the top of the PTU. Flush and fill the PTU.

So I am not sure exactly what was meant by a double seal but the compression seal could technically be considered a double seal since it includes the Transfer case driver seal

Hope this helps put things into better perspective. shades.gif

Wow, more pictures. :) Thanks. Unfortunately, I have not been able to catch it in the act of leaking. I keep checking the garage floor and do not see anything out of the ordinary. No puddles or funny colored drips. I think it starts leaking after I start driving and burns off shortly after, ridding of the evidence. I am definitely printing this and the other post with the information.

Wow, more pictures. :) Thanks. Unfortunately, I have not been able to catch it in the act of leaking. I keep checking the garage floor and do not see anything out of the ordinary. No puddles or funny colored drips. I think it starts leaking after I start driving and burns off shortly after, ridding of the evidence. I am definitely printing this and the other post with the information.

Just to clarify, I am NOT trying to prove its the PTU. I was only explaining where its located and what it looks like while also providing tips on how to diagnose/determine if it could be a PTU issue. It appears that you dealer is an honest one and from what you described they seem to be trying to help out. Plus without looking at a vehicle its difficult to say for certain what exactly your are experiencing, hence, the dealer would have a more accurate understanding of whats going on.

Good Luck :shift:

Just to clarify, I am NOT trying to prove its the PTU. I was only explaining where its located and what it looks like while also providing tips on how to diagnose/determine if it could be a PTU issue. It appears that you dealer is an honest one and from what you described they seem to be trying to help out. Plus without looking at a vehicle its difficult to say for certain what exactly your are experiencing, hence, the dealer would have a more accurate understanding of whats going on.

Good Luck shift.gif

No worries, I totally understand, and I still appreciate the tips very much. shades.gif I was only commenting that it is unfortunate that I cannot find some drips myself to say it is such and such a color, etc. Hoping they diagnosed it correctly and will fix it the first time, and if they don't fix it, they will get it back until they do. Or soemone will get it as a trade when I buy a 2011. (We'll see . . .)

No worries, I totally understand, and I still appreciate the tips very much. shades.gif I was only commenting that it is unfortunate that I cannot find some drips myself to say it is such and such a color, etc. Hoping they diagnosed it correctly and will fix it the first time, and if they don't fix it, they will get it back until they do. Or soemone will get it as a trade when I buy a 2011. (We'll see . . .)

It would be smart to change all the seals in the PTU area, once they have the PTU apart? Does anybody know if that's the case? Would make sense if there is repeated problem from this area ....

I totally understand your position in hoping they diagnose it correctly and getting it fixed the first time around. Sometimes the consumer actually knows more than the service department b/c we are always researching and gathering experience from other Edge owners. Sometimes knowledge helps and encourages the Service department to work harder in getting it right the 1st time around. If the leak is minor sometimes you may not see any drips. However if you were to get under the vehicle and look around you may be able to see residual leaks on or around the PTU or wherever its leaking from. :banghead: Maybe by showing the images on this post or by asking if the leak is such or such color and which side is the leak coming from they can see that you are proactive and that you did your research/homework on the issue.

Hope everything works out well for you :wacko:

Edited by k_m

k_m--I printed your post and am working on trying to print the pictures. I may have to open them in photoshop at home. Not having any luck on my work computer. Any suggestions?

It was definitely leaking today. It is so horrible it makes me feel sick. Yuck.

It could have been b/c I uploaded them as .PNG now they are in a more universal image format .jpg See the attached images Let me know if it works and best of luck

post-8414-12664249365364_thumb.jpg

post-8414-12664249655033_thumb.jpg

post-8414-12664249747907_thumb.jpg

I saw they were png so thought photoshop would print it. Just tried the jpg's and not working here. I will try both file types tonite when I get home on my computer. Thanks for posting those. :) Will let you know if I get them printed.

One more option.... I combined them into a PDF file so that should be printable. See attachment... :stats:

Ford Edge PTU & Seals.pdf

Love you guys on this forum. yup.gif I was able to print the png files on one of my computers at home, so the files do work. I plan to take it in tomorrow, and considering the rotten day I have already had today, have mercy on anyone over there that makes it difficult. finger.gif Hope to have good news to post, not an arrest report.