Snow chains/cables for 20" tires

lormend

I have a 2008 Edge Limited AWD with 20" tires (P245/50R20). According to the owner manual, neither chains or cables can be used on the 18" or 20" tires. When I bought my edge, I specifically stated to the salesperson that I would be going up to the mountains to snow ski. Unfortunately, nothing was ever mentioned that chains or cables could not be used on the 20" tires. Although the AWD will be an asset in the snow plus the mud/snow tires, there are times when you are required to put on chains or cables in order to get to the mountain. Has anyone gone against the owner manual and used cables and if so, what experiences did you have?

I have a 2008 Edge Limited AWD with 20" tires (P245/50R20). According to the owner manual, neither chains or cables can be used on the 18" or 20" tires. When I bought my edge, I specifically stated to the salesperson that I would be going up to the mountains to snow ski. Unfortunately, nothing was ever mentioned that chains or cables could not be used on the 20" tires. Although the AWD will be an asset in the snow plus the mud/snow tires, there are times when you are required to put on chains or cables in order to get to the mountain. Has anyone gone against the owner manual and used cables and if so, what experiences did you have?

If you need chains or cables then you probably need winter tires anyway - why not get a set of 17" wheels and winter tires?

If you look into the front wheel well with the tires on you will not see very much clearance between the inner part of the tire and the bottom of the spring mount on the macpherson strut. Chains and possibly cables will "strech" after a few miles. When this happens the chain/cable will beat the spring mount to pieces and possibly damage the strut itself. The last time I bought struts they were $300 each not including the installation and alignment.

Do what you think is best for you.

Well if your going up to the mountains you'll need these...... http://www.mattracks.com/html/88_series_model.htm

Here's a video.

Edited by bender

• 4 years later...

I know this is old post, but to help others you can use SCC Super Z6 SZ435 or the Z-575 with no problems. There is plenty of clearance to fit them and the Z-575 don't touch the wheel if you're worried about scratching the wheels. I've driven a few hundred miles in Big Bear with them this season, and they work great with no problems.

Before anyone wants to bash me for using them, if you don't know they are required to even go up the mountain when any snow or ice is present. Put them on the front by the way.