PTU Repair Questions

As you can see by my User Name, i just bought a 07 ford edge sel awd. I have been reading about the PTU problems and i had them repair it two days after I bought it. I have a week to return the vehicle if I don't like it. I do like it, but was my question is, where the drive shaft connects to the PTU there is a white/ yellow plastic piece that I see, I noticed that it is cracked, and it wasn't before the fix and there isn't a dust cover covering the shaft to the PTU. If someone could post a pic of there PTU or of a repair manual that they have so I can see what a normal one should look like that would be great.

I guess I should really think about keeping this vehicle if there is problems already?

http://www.fordedgeforum.com/index.php?/topic/4583-found-the-horrible-smell/

Check out this topic. Hopefully it helps. I am having problems and k_m has been more than helpful with posting pics and explanations. It is a widespread problem in the Edge. There are tons of other posts about it also. I have an 08 with the same problem and am waiting weeks for repair parts.

http://www.fordedgeforum.com/index.php?/topic/4583-found-the-horrible-smell/

Check out this topic. Hopefully it helps. I am having problems and k_m has been more than helpful with posting pics and explanations. It is a widespread problem in the Edge. There are tons of other posts about it also. I have an 08 with the same problem and am waiting weeks for repair parts.

I'm shocked you have to wait for parts that long. When I had mine 09 done they had the parts in same day and car was fixed the next day. Maybe it is because they build the edge here in Ontario. After they changed the seals there is no more smell or dripping on the driveway. Mine was done in January with the new seals and everything seems to be OK.

I'm shocked you have to wait for parts that long. When I had mine 09 done they had the parts in same day and car was fixed the next day. Maybe it is because they build the edge here in Ontario. After they changed the seals there is no more smell or dripping on the driveway. Mine was done in January with the new seals and everything seems to be OK.

Well, if you knew my luck, it would make total sense. yup.gif The planets are always out of alignment for me. I hope my fix works as well as yours. I will definitely be posting about my experience because everyone loves ANOTHER PTU story. (haha)

Well, if you knew my luck, it would make total sense. yup.gif The planets are always out of alignment for me. I hope my fix works as well as yours. I will definitely be posting about my experience because everyone loves ANOTHER PTU story. (haha)

That's kind of funny. My dad always told me that if it wasn't for bad luck, I'd have none at all. My Edge is the very first new vehicle purchased. I was hoping to not have problems for a while. so far I have been in for the PTU twice, both rear ABS sensors and I had a rear break pad separate from its backing and wedge against the rotor. I have been problem free for a while now, but for a bit it didn't want to seem to quit. I still love it though ...

That's kind of funny. My dad always told me that if it wasn't for bad luck, I'd have none at all. My Edge is the very first new vehicle purchased. I was hoping to not have problems for a while. so far I have been in for the PTU twice, both rear ABS sensors and I had a rear break pad separate from its backing and wedge against the rotor. I have been problem free for a while now, but for a bit it didn't want to seem to quit. I still love it though ...

Hey your dad stole that from me, ha ha. The Edge is my first new car since 1998 when I bought a new Cavalier Z24. Every vehicle I have ever bought, new or used, has given me trouble. Had an old Trans Am in high school and that thing was always broken down. Took my moms Camaro and it was always stalling. First new with the sticker on it car was a Grand Prix, had electrical problems. Then a Blazer with an eternal oil leak. Slightly used Tahoe blew a fuel pump. The Blazer I had before the Edge was used and had problems but was good to me, never left me stranded, always broke down at home or another safe place. The Cavalier was the only car out of them all that did not give me trouble but it was run over by a snow plow. doh.gif

Hey your dad stole that from me, ha ha. The Edge is my first new car since 1998 when I bought a new Cavalier Z24. Every vehicle I have ever bought, new or used, has given me trouble. Had an old Trans Am in high school and that thing was always broken down. Took my moms Camaro and it was always stalling. First new with the sticker on it car was a Grand Prix, had electrical problems. Then a Blazer with an eternal oil leak. Slightly used Tahoe blew a fuel pump. The Blazer I had before the Edge was used and had problems but was good to me, never left me stranded, always broke down at home or another safe place. The Cavalier was the only car out of them all that did not give me trouble but it was run over by a snow plow. doh.gif

All American cars ...Maybe you should give the foreign car market a chance, :headscratch:

You mean like a Toyota? Or roll the dice on a Honda? All cars have problems no matter who makes them.

All companys do have issues but some more than others.

This whole PTU thing doesn't make me feel good about my recent purchase.

Four model years and still the same problem is unacceptable.

If the PTU becomes an issue for me Ford gets the boot and i'll be heading to team Germany once again. :redcard:

All companys do have issues but some more than others.

This whole PTU thing doesn't make me feel good about my recent purchase.

Four model years and still the same problem is unacceptable.

If the PTU becomes an issue for me Ford gets the boot and i'll be heading to team Germany once again. redcard.gif

I have been concerned myself. I just got a call from the dealer saying that the seals that I need will be off backorder next week and begin to ship, so looking at minimum two more weeks. Today I was thinking about the long term on these affected vehicles. Right now it is under warranty but what happens when it is not and maybe the seals go again? How much is it to fix it? I would love to get a 2011 just not sure if the $$ will be there to do it.

This doesn't appear to be a durability problem. It's a design/engineering problem or a defective part that fails relatively quickly. Once it is fixed I wouldn't be too worried about it reoccurring after 1 or 2 winters with no leaks. There is no guarantee of course, but that's what it looks like to me.

• 8 months later...

I have been concerned myself. I just got a call from the dealer saying that the seals that I need will be off backorder next week and begin to ship, so looking at minimum two more weeks. Today I was thinking about the long term on these affected vehicles. Right now it is under warranty but what happens when it is not and maybe the seals go again? How much is it to fix it? I would love to get a 2011 just not sure if the $$ will be there to do it.

I am getting mine fixed as we speak,NOT under warranty. 4 and a half hours labour @ $118. per hour,parts around $300. plus 14% tax.Do the math $966.78 lucky me.I own a 97 F150 4X4 never had to do anything to except normal maintenance,brakes,a starter,altenater.Nothing else the motor has 150,000 mile and run great! Should have bought another truck

I am getting mine fixed as we speak,NOT under warranty. 4 and a half hours labour @ $118. per hour,parts around $300. plus 14% tax.Do the math $966.78 lucky me.I own a 97 F150 4X4 never had to do anything to except normal maintenance,brakes,a starter,altenater.Nothing else the motor has 150,000 mile and run great! Should have bought another truck

I'm surprised the repairs aren't under the warranty. I was told the PTU is part of the power train so it's under the extended warranty ....

The powertrain warranty is only 60K miles - not 150K!

Actually it wasn't that bad,I know the head of parts and he gave me the parts for his costs.So the axle shaft BT4Z-3A329-A was $200. the seal 8T4Z-7275-DC was $8.46 plus labour $413.so it costed me total $621.46 plus tax well ya know that I look at it ,it sucks! They gave me a years warranty on it so thats good. They updated my sync for free but I don't think they did it correctly.I see no change at all in it.I heard it was supose to install a 911 feature whick I don't have.It looks identical to what it used too.Dose anybody know how to check what version you have? I tried through -Media-user setting -information. So numbers came up but did not reconize them and they were darkened out,they were not brite like the rest of the words.My Edge is an 08 and from what I have found on the internet the newest version is 2.1.I don't no if they put a new version for the 2011(new style sync and it didn't take on my older equipment(sync).

Edited by superbond

• 1 month later...

Well just like many of you I have a 2007 Ford Edge SEL AWD. Great car other than this problem. It started in Sept of 2009 but no smell only a leak. Now for me it is a little more complex as I am in the US Air Force and I am based in Germany. The warranty is covered here at the local European Ford Garage, but it takes longer to get parts. So after about 30 days, $500 worth of rentals, and 4 visits to 2 different garages...The first garage said nothing was wrong. The second garage said there was a problem and replaced the seal kit twice then replace the entire PTU. Now a year later and I have both the odor and the leak(noticed it on the snow today). so now i must take it in to the German Ford Garage and hassle through the language barrier again to try and get my car fixed. it now has just under 40,000 miles and is just over 3 years old. thankfully it is still under the power train warranty!