18" Rims outer lip corrosion....again.

ThinLine

Already had my 18" chrome clad rims replaced due to the outer clear coated aluminum rim pitting with black spots. Well, this set is worse than the original ones. I have 30,000 miles on her now and these rims only have 10,000 miles on them. Ready to take car in for 30,000 multi-point inspection and will show service manager the rims. I just want to know if anyone here has had them replaced twice....as I do not want to have any problems getting these replaced under warranty.....again. The major thing that sucks is that these rims will do this indefinitely when out of warranty so I guess I am just going to have to live with these dalmatian rims when the replaced set starts to pit again.

Already had my 18" chrome clad rims replaced due to the outer clear coated aluminum rim pitting with black spots. Well, this set is worse than the original ones. I have 30,000 miles on her now and these rims only have 10,000 miles on them. Ready to take car in for 30,000 multi-point inspection and will show service manager the rims. I just want to know if anyone here has had them replaced twice....as I do not want to have any problems getting these replaced under warranty.....again. The major thing that sucks is that these rims will do this indefinitely when out of warranty so I guess I am just going to have to live with these dalmatian rims when the replaced set starts to pit again.

I have a 2007 with these wheels. W hen mine started to corode on the edges I thought this might be an ongoing problem. So I decided

to try to touch them up with crome paint from a can. They turned out ok. You can't tell anything has been done unless you look real close. The

rest of the cladding is still great looking. I know this is unacceptable to some owners but I didn't want the hassle of constantly taking them back.

I have a 2007 with these wheels. W hen mine started to corode on the edges I thought this might be an ongoing problem. So I decided

to try to touch them up with crome paint from a can. They turned out ok. You can't tell anything has been done unless you look real close. The

rest of the cladding is still great looking. I know this is unacceptable to some owners but I didn't want the hassle of constantly taking them back.

Ā 

So instead of getting band new wheels under warranty you decided to spray paint your wheels to hide the imperfections?

WOW, people never cease to amaze me. Unbelievable. :banghead:

So instead of getting band new wheels under warranty you decided to spray paint your wheels to hide the imperfections?

Truely amazing!!..... I am not commenting on the person that chose to touch up the imperfection on the rim, the "truely amazing" is directed straight to you..MOFSTEEL. In the short time that I have been a member on this forum, You have posted comments on "almost" every post, either putting people down, correcting ,or belittling them because they may have not listed info on the Edge correctly or wasn't to your liking or You chose not to understand , giving you the chance to get your rocks off by acting childish! The last time I checked, the Edge forum or any other forum was for People with similiar interests to meet, help and share experiences. Maybe you chose the wrong forum.... With that beeing my 2 cents, if you choose to respond to this post with hopes of this going back and forth, you will be sadly mistaken!

• Like 1

Truely amazing!!..... I am not commenting on the person that chose to touch up the imperfection on the rim, the "truely amazing" is directed straight to you..MOFSTEEL. In the short time that I have been a member on this forum, You have posted comments on "almost" every post, either putting people down, correcting ,or belittling them because they may have not listed info on the Edge correctly or wasn't to your liking or You chose not to understand , giving you the chance to get your rocks off by acting childish! The last time I checked, the Edge forum or any other forum was for People with similiar interests to meet, help and share experiences. Maybe you chose the wrong forum.... With that beeing my 2 cents, if you choose to respond to this post with hopes of this going back and forth, you will be sadly mistaken!

Ā 

I might have posted comments on 1/4th of the posts since you've been here.

This is a VERY slow forum in terms of posts relative to others ive been on in the past.

If someone is going to post false information I as well as anyone else has the right to correct them. If I personally do not agree with something then I will make it known.

If you do not agree with my corrections or comments then I suggest you put me on ignore.

Last time I checked correcting people or giving ones opinion was not childish. Do you get this upset in the real world when you're corrected or someone doesnt agree with you? I should hope not.

There is no need for this to go any further. In fact if you just use the ignore feature you wouldnt have polluted this thread with your whining. Grow up. :finger:

Edited by MOFSTEEL

The imperfections on my wheels were so slight that the"fix" to me was better than getting a new set, which may have

turned out to be worse in the long run. I still have warranty time to turn them in if they get worse. I appreciate tour response.

The imperfections on my wheels were so slight that the"fix" to me was better than getting a new set, which may have

turned out to be worse in the long run. I still have warranty time to turn them in if they get worse. I appreciate tour response.

I don't know if the warranty is going to be honored edgeout, now that you have tampered with the rims. My thread got hijacked, so if anyone else has had them replaced twice, I would like to hear from you. It seems Ford is doing nothing with the design of the rim......if they would just construct the 18's like the 20's.....with no outer lip...I think the issue would be resolved. I will continue to have the rims replaced under warranty....once out of warranty, I guess I'm SOL !

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

i just bought a 2007 edge with 18 chrome wheel and i have the same problem, are they still on warranty??

Ā 

Ā 

Hi Filion. :D The "New Car Bumper to Bumper Warranty" for the Edge is 3 years/36,000 miles from the original "In Service Date". The "In Service Date" is the date the first owner purchased the vehicle. So if you are over 36,000 miles, the New Car Warranty is expired. If you are under 36,000 miles, then your Bumper to Bumper Warranty coverage depends on when your "In Service Date" was. So if the original "In Service Date" was after today's date in 2007, and you have less than 36,000 miles, you may still have some Warranty coverage left.

Ā 

To find your "In Service Date": Unless another forum member here can run your VIN, you will need to check with your local Ford Dealers Service Department to find out.

Ā 

Next: Even if you still have some New Car Warranty Coverage left, whether the wheels would be covered would depend on what the Dealer/Ford determines may have caused he damage. Obviously, road hazard damage, wear and tear nicks, chips etc. would not be covered. So in the end, your best course of action would be a trip to the Dealership.

Ā 

Also, as an FYI, the Edge also has a 5 year/50,000 mile Powertrain Warranty. You may want to read your Owners Manual, Warranty Guide and Scheduled Maintenance Guide to become familiar with your vehicle, Warranty coverages and maintenance requirements.

Ā 

If you did not get those when you purchased, you can download PDF versions here: LINK: Ford Owner Guides Fill in the drop down boxes and click "submit". Then click on the Owner Guide you want to download.

Ā 

Good luck. :beerchug:

• 9 months later...

Warranty?????? The dealership I took my 2007 Edge to a couple of years ago said the rims were not covered under the warranty. I guess I should have tried at least two other dealerships to confirm this. Let me ask you this question, I have the extended Bumper to Bumper warranty (75k) will the rims be covered under that?

• 4 weeks later...

My wife has had ours replaced twice now and we've had the car for about two years. The last time was about 3-4,000 miles ago and we have 38,000 on it now. The tires are about shot so they haven't lasted too long either. But I like the car, just a couple of things bad with wheels and tires.