New Owner 09 Edge SEL AWD

ncmountie

Signing onto the forum after a web search regarding our 2009 Edge SEL AWD, 19.5K miles, purchased last week. Love the vehicle for the looks, roomy cabin, AWD, especially with the constant snow conditions this year, and other features.

I must admit that I'm more than a little concerned after spending the last two plus hours reading mostly about the PTU problems with this vehicle, both on this forum and subsequent outside web searches. Someone please tell me Ford had gotten a handle on this issue BEFORE production of the 2009's! I did make a check of the vehicle for leaks before purchase, did other typical research and I feel some consolation given the Certified Pre-Owned and remaining new vehicle warranty; however, the apparent wide spread problems with the Edge's PTU makes me wonder whether I made the right choice.

Thanks for the good info on all topics I've reviewed in this forum so far and I appreciate those of you with solid backgrounds and obvious experience sharing your wisdom and insight. I look forward to using the forum as a valuable resource during what I hope will be many problem free years of service from our Edge.

Signing onto the forum after a web search regarding our 2009 Edge SEL AWD, 19.5K miles, purchased last week. Love the vehicle for the looks, roomy cabin, AWD, especially with the constant snow conditions this year, and other features.

I must admit that I'm more than a little concerned after spending the last two plus hours reading mostly about the PTU problems with this vehicle, both on this forum and subsequent outside web searches. Someone please tell me Ford had gotten a handle on this issue BEFORE production of the 2009's! I did make a check of the vehicle for leaks before purchase, did other typical research and I feel some consolation given the Certified Pre-Owned and remaining new vehicle warranty; however, the apparent wide spread problems with the Edge's PTU makes me wonder whether I made the right choice.

Thanks for the good info on all topics I've reviewed in this forum so far and I appreciate those of you with solid backgrounds and obvious experience sharing your wisdom and insight. I look forward to using the forum as a valuable resource during what I hope will be many problem free years of service from our Edge.

2009's are not immune. However, the problems appear to be confined to colder areas. Since you're in NC you may be outside the danger zone.

Thanks, but unfortunately for our Edge, we’ve received about 82” of snow in North Carolina’s NW mountains this year :doh:. While this is more than usual, our typical winter weather prompted us to go with an AWD vehicle for my wife and to supplement my 4x4 truck.

Can someone advise if there been any improvement with the PTU problems for later models? Also, at what mileage does this problem usually occur, if there is a pattern?

Thanks.

Thanks, but unfortunately for our Edge, we’ve received about 82” of snow in North Carolina’s NW mountains this year :doh:. While this is more than usual, our typical winter weather prompted us to go with an AWD vehicle for my wife and to supplement my 4x4 truck.

Can someone advise if there been any improvement with the PTU problems for later models? Also, at what mileage does this problem usually occur, if there is a pattern?

Thanks.

Our 09 AWD had the PTU leak. It only happened in really cold temperatures and after driving on the highway for while and then stopping at traffic lights. Good new is Ford has a fix right now and it seems to be working. We had our done in January and since then we have no problems. I talk to the mechanic and he sad, the new seals are made of new materials which are not affected by temperature. That means there is no shrinking or expending process with temperature change.

If you find some drops on your driveway or smell burning oil just make appointment and they will fix it.