Blue Smoke

Stang

Hi all, hope your all enjoying some nice weather.I have a 08 and I'm just wondering if any one has experienced any blue smoke out of the exhaust pipe when you start up after 2hr sit on a little bit of a hill grade, front of the Edge being higher then the back? This as happened to me twice, I start it up on level ground know smoke and move it to were I wash and clean my Edge and it is on a bit of a hill rise and it sets there for 2hr. and I start it back up and the blue smoke just rolls out of it. I run full synthetic Mobile ! and change it every 8000 km . It doesn't seem to lower the oil on the dipstick from one oil change to another so I guess it is nothing to worry about. I did a search on it and did a lot of reading but did not find anything on this problem but I was just wondering so I thought I would post a topic to see if any one else has seen this. I thought at first it must be letting oil by the valve rubbers but who knows. Any how any info would be greatly appreciated thanks.

• 1 month later...

Hi all, hope your all enjoying some nice weather.I have a 08 and I'm just wondering if any one has experienced any blue smoke out of the exhaust pipe when you start up after 2hr sit on a little bit of a hill grade, front of the Edge being higher then the back? This as happened to me twice, I start it up on level ground know smoke and move it to were I wash and clean my Edge and it is on a bit of a hill rise and it sets there for 2hr. and I start it back up and the blue smoke just rolls out of it. I run full synthetic Mobile ! and change it every 8000 km . It doesn't seem to lower the oil on the dipstick from one oil change to another so I guess it is nothing to worry about. I did a search on it and did a lot of reading but did not find anything on this problem but I was just wondering so I thought I would post a topic to see if any one else has seen this. I thought at first it must be letting oil by the valve rubbers but who knows. Any how any info would be greatly appreciated thanks.

Something like that has happened to me at least 3 times in less than two years but my car was park on my leveled road. I too have an 08. I ask the dealer about it and they of course never heard of it. I decided not to leave it because they will have my car for a week and do nothing. Next week I will be on vacation the entire week and the Edge will not be used for 7 straight days. So before I start it a week from now I am planning on videotaping the tail pipe to see if it does it. If it does I will have prove to show the dealer. If not then I have no clue of what going on.

My car is and 08 with 23k miles and oil is change by the dealer every 3k miles. I know is a waste but this CUV needs to last me at least 100k and I tow a boat with it.

Edited by cjb

my driveway is at an angle. I have an '08, never seen this issue.

if it happens during car washing, are you sure water and soap and such is not going down the exhaust and getting burned off and making this issue as blue smoke is often oil getting into the cylinder head and being burned off... which would happen on flat or incline.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the reply guys. It will be interesting to see what happened on the video. Lex you may be right. I was thinking that but the water should have run back out of the tailpipe cause the Edge was siting up hill ,but who knows it sounds logical. It has not happened since the last time and I have washed my Edge lot of time since that day.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the reply guys. It will be interesting to see what happened on the video. Lex you may be right. I was thinking that but the water should have run back out of the tailpipe cause the Edge was siting up hill ,but who knows it sounds logical. It has not happened since the last time and I have washed my Edge lot of time since that day.

Nothing. Car was park for 6 days

I'll add my $0.02 to the discussion...

I have not experienced this with my Edge (it's less than a month old now...), but I have experienced what you are describing with my previous Ford truck.

Truck was a 2001 F150 SuperCrew Lariat 2WD with the 5.4L

I would get the random puff of blue smoke from the exhaust when starting. I had trouble "repeating" the event. Sometimes I would see it for a day or two in a row, it would go away for months, then show up again for a day or two.

Never had any oil related issues with the truck. It would use a little oil between changes (less than a quart for 4,000 miles +/-). Truck was used as my primary commuter vehicle along with towing "toys" on the weekends (6,500# travel trailer, 5,000# boat, 7,000# trailer/Jeep combination, assortment of other smaller trailers...). One explaination I heard that makes some sense is that you can get a little oil from the top end running down the valve guides and settling in the combustion chamber. When you start up, the oil burns off. Was told not to worry if it just "puffs" and goes away.

For the record, I had the 2001 truck for 8 1/2 years, put over 160,000 miles on it at the time I sold it and NEVER had an oil related issue. Oil (conventional)/filter was changed every 4,000 miles. While I didn't "abuse" the truck, I used it like a "truck".

FYI - I replaced the 2001 truck with an almost identical 2007 model....Ford makes a good product.

I'd keep an eye on it and watch your oil level to see if anything significant changes. Good luck.

• 2 months later...

Something like that has happened to me at least 3 times in less than two years but my car was park on my leveled road. I too have an 08. I ask the dealer about it and they of course never heard of it. I decided not to leave it because they will have my car for a week and do nothing. Next week I will be on vacation the entire week and the Edge will not be used for 7 straight days. So before I start it a week from now I am planning on videotaping the tail pipe to see if it does it. If it does I will have prove to show the dealer. If not then I have no clue of what going on.

My car is and 08 with 23k miles and oil is change by the dealer every 3k miles. I know is a waste but this CUV needs to last me at least 100k and I tow a boat with it.

MY CAR IS AN 08 AWD AND IT TO HAS DONE IT MAYBE 3 OR 4 TIMES IN THE LAST YEAR AND HALF.. I TO ASKED MY DEALER AND GOT THE SAME ANSWER.. I DON'T GET IT.. IF IT HAPPENS AGAIN I AM WRITING CORP.. I PAID 38,900 FOR MINE AND I WANT ANSWERS...