Ooops...foggy headlight

Apparently the little black plastic door/cover that clips on over the high beam/turn signal bulb on our MKX was not latched all the way when I went to detail the vehicle last weekend. Did my usual engine compartment cleaning/hose out and didn't notice it. Now after soaking the water out as much as possible with paper towels, It is sitting out in the driveway with the hood up and bulbs pulled out to dry out. Fortunately there is no water inside the chrome portion of the headlight, just in the black plastic behind it which was causing the whole headlight to fog up from the inside. Hopefully I don't end up with any water spots inside the headlight chrome portion or lens but no water actually entered there so I should be OK, just foggy. A new headlight assembly with the adaptive headlight function is over $700 from Ford...Yikes!

If you have an MKX, make sure to check those out before you spray out your engine area. Obviously I don't use high pressure water and always cover the coil pack with a zip lock bag but never thought about this happening. Just an FYI for you all. I may put a thin coating of vaseline or clear grease on the gaskets of those doors when I put it back together for extra measure.

Edited by klc317

Apparently the little black plastic door/cover that clips on over the high beam/turn signal bulb on our MKX was not latched all the way when I went to detail the vehicle last weekend. Did my usual engine compartment cleaning/hose out and didn't notice it. Now after soaking the water out as much as possible with paper towels, It is sitting out in the driveway with the hood up and bulbs pulled out to dry out. Fortunately there is no water inside the chrome portion of the headlight, just in the black plastic behind it which was causing the whole headlight to fog up from the inside. Hopefully I don't end up with any water spots inside the headlight chrome portion or lens but no water actually entered there so I should be OK, just foggy. A new headlight assembly with the adaptive headlight function is over $700 from Ford...Yikes!

If you have an MKX, make sure to check those out before you spray out your engine area. Obviously I don't use high pressure water and always cover the coil pack with a zip lock bag but never thought about this happening. Just an FYI for you all. I may put a thin coating of vaseline or clear grease on the gaskets of those doors when I put it back together for extra measure.

Hair Dryer! Than, put it all back together should be just fine.

Yup...did that. Its taking a few nights with the bulbs removed and hood up in the garage but Its getting better. And no water spots either...WHEW!!!

Hell, use a shopvac to put a vacuum on it and shine a utitly light into the lense to heat up the inner cavity. Like a a/c unit the moisture should disappear.