2011 Towing Capacity

Does anyone have any info on the towing capacity of the 2011 Edge with the bigger engines? Bearing in mind that both the Highlander and Pilot can both tow 4500/5000 lbs and use a Class III hitch, there was some speculation that ford may increase the Edge's rating, especially since the MKT and flex can both tow 5000 lbs (4500lbs -cannot remember).

• 2 weeks later...

Answer my own question. According to the Ford web page the 2011 Edge still has only 3500lbs towing capacity. Shame!

The engines aren't that much better plus the frame isn't changing. The MKT and Flex are on the D3 platform (or D4 according to some) while the Edge remains on CD3. It's smaller.

The 2011 Explorer will do at least 5000 lbs, maybe 5500. And it has 3 rows like the Pilot and Highlander. That's the competition, not the Edge.

Just looked at the Explorer. IMHO not even in the same class. V6 is very basic until the Eddie Bauer which is an arm and a leg. Almost have to get the V8. Mileage on both is poor. I suggest that the Flex and MKT are the real challengers but both weigh quite a bit more than the highlander or Pilot and to get reasonable power to compensate for the increased weight (ecoboost) requires the use of premium gas. After analysing my options I think I will stay with the Edge since I really like it and buy a lightweight travel trailer. Will revisit the situation next year when the 2011 Edge and MKX and I find out how much I miss not having the Harley to ride. At that point I may buy a truck and a toy hauler.

Just looked at the Explorer. IMHO not even in the same class. V6 is very basic until the Eddie Bauer which is an arm and a leg. Almost have to get the V8. Mileage on both is poor. I suggest that the Flex and MKT are the real challengers but both weigh quite a bit more than the highlander or Pilot and to get reasonable power to compensate for the increased weight (ecoboost) requires the use of premium gas. After analysing my options I think I will stay with the Edge since I really like it and buy a lightweight travel trailer. Will revisit the situation next year when the 2011 Edge and MKX and I find out how much I miss not having the Harley to ride. At that point I may buy a truck and a toy hauler.

Not the current explorer - the NEW 2011 explorer based on the same platform as the Flex and MKT. It should compete directly with the Pilot and Highlander.

• 2 months later...

These towing posts always crack me up...

The big question is always "how much power does it have?".... An obvious question from someone who doesn't pull a trailer very much.

How many times have you heard someone say "I couldn't avoid the accident while pulling my trailer because I didn't have enough POWER..."?

Never.

The issue with towing is the tow vehicle's ability to STOP

Engine power is important, but the ability to CONTROL and STOP the vehicle and trailer in an emergency situation is far more important that the ability to pull it "fast".

The "shorter" wheelbase of many of the crossover vehicles and lighter duty brakes (to save $ and help in fuel economy) don't make these vehicles good towing platforms. Yes, they will pull a properly set up light trailer, but most of the time people tend to "overload" their setups.

Sorry.....I'll get off my soapbox now... :)

Edited by StrongWind