Pusateri, it really depends on the HID kit you bought. The key thing to check out is whether or not it has a digital ballast. If it has it, you (may) not need a relay. Case in point, I have been running HIDs on our '08 since February of '08 and have had absolutely no problems, even without the relay.

• 5 months later...

Pusateri, it really depends on the HID kit you bought. The key thing to check out is whether or not it has a digital ballast. If it has it, you (may) not need a relay. Case in point, I have been running HIDs on our '08 since February of '08 and have had absolutely no problems, even without the relay.

What brand and where did you get yours? I'm looking for a kit for 2011.

• 2 weeks later...

You are correct once the bulbs have been started. However at the start the ballasts draw much more current. The digital ballasts draw less current and a harness may not be needed.

This really al depends on the vehicle and the kit. I installed a set of HIDS on a VW Passat that I had. I checked current draw on the headlamp circuit before and after the install using a labscope adn setting the itme at 1 ms. The stock headlights and the HID kit I used drew the same amperage at startup and the same once they were started. On different vehciels with differetn kits this will change either way I'm sure. On your Edge I highly suggest running a relay setup due to the fact that the headlights are powered through the Smart Junction Box, if this were to burn out due to an issue with your HID kit it is a pricey fix and I don't know about you but I would rather spend the $25-$30 (I think) for the relay kit from a forum sponsor than shelling out the $1000 to replace the SJB

you definitely need an HID relay harness...first off when the HID kit draws directly from the battery they function way better regardless of what companies may tell you...I bought $300 high end HID's for my 2007 Edge and without the relay they would just flicker on and off whenever there might've been a surge in the electric....Go for the $20 and save yourself a huge headache