Performance Chip/Modules

silverbackedge

I wanted to know if anyone out there has installed a performance chip/module on their edge. I read all over the internet on hundreds of different websites of how they can improve overall quality of the engine, gas mileage, etc. Would it be worth getting one and do you have a link to one that has actually worked. Thanks for your input.

Steeda has a tuner that sets your ECU to fit pre-made profiles. Lots of people have mentioned them on here. Some people have enjoyed success, while others have pulled their hair out and sent them back.

Ā 

I just want something that will change the way my transmission shifts from first to second under WOT, it seems to almost throw you forward it shifts so hard (I have a fascination with acceleration)

• 1 month later...

You said you haven't seen anyone on here talk about a "chip". I was just clarifying that the reason for that is that they do not exist - just in case some people were still wondering.

Are the Jet Performance Module for the Edge classified as a chip? They are found here http://www.autoanything.com/performance-chips/10A50207.aspx . Also has any one used the Hypertech Max Energy Programmer ? It says that it is the most hp Programmer out there for the Edge.

Are the Jet Performance Module for the Edge classified as a chip? They are found here http://www.autoanything.com/performance-chips/10A50207.aspx . Also has any one used the Hypertech Max Energy Programmer ? It says that it is the most hp Programmer out there for the Edge.

Ā 

Not sure but I haven't heard of any type of "chip" on a late model Ford. You need a programmer. As for hypertech advertising the "most horsepower" - they can only change a few parameters - there is no magic hp switch. Go with a reputable brand like SCT.

Not sure but I haven't heard of any type of "chip" on a late model Ford. You need a programmer. As for hypertech advertising the "most horsepower" - they can only change a few parameters - there is no magic hp switch. Go with a reputable brand like SCT.

Thanks akirby, I agree with you on the programmer. I have the X3 from Evolution and it works fine. I was just wondering if any one had tryed these other programmers or modules on there Edge yet.

... but I haven't heard of any type of "chip" on a late model Ford.

Ā 

so wait.. now, like I originally said and you "confirmed", you say you have not heard of a chip?

Ā 

I said "never seen anyone here talk about a "chip" for the Edge" and now you say "but I haven't heard of any type of "chip" on a late model Ford." :shades: :)

so wait.. now, like I originally said and you "confirmed", you say you have not heard of a chip?

Ā 

I said "never seen anyone here talk about a "chip" for the Edge" and now you say "but I haven't heard of any type of "chip" on a late model Ford." :shades: :)

Ā 

I have no idea what you're babbling about. We both said there is no such thing as a chip for an Edge and that you need a programmer. I wasn't sure if the Jet performance module was really a replacement chip or if it was one of those plug-in inline modules that modify the sensor values.

• 3 months later...

I will order a nice air intake and a G-Force Sensor Module, and dyno it before and after, for my 2011 AWD Sport.

Ā 

I will also look into the x-3 from Evolution, and see what the claims are there.

Ā 

If the g-force does not work, it will go back, and I will order the Evolution system programmer.

Ā 

The car is due in 2-3 weeks.

I will order a nice air intake and a G-Force Sensor Module, and dyno it before and after, for my 2011 AWD Sport.

Ā 

I will also look into the x-3 from Evolution, and see what the claims are there.

Ā 

If the g-force does not work, it will go back, and I will order the Evolution system programmer.

Ā 

The car is due in 2-3 weeks.

Sounds good, plz keep us posted. I don't think I'm familiar with the "G-Force Sensor Module"?

You said you haven't seen anyone on here talk about a "chip". I was just clarifying that the reason for that is that they do not exist - just in case some people were still wondering.

Ā 

And thank you for following up akirby, cause i was one of those folks confused!! :D Damnit, I'm always that guy.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm also wondering about any available performance tuners for the 2011 Edge 3.5L. I'm considering getting a Limited AWD, but it feels slow and I don't like the lagging shifts (upshifts and downshifts). I'm hoping a programmer can wake it up a little and firm up the shifts too. The trans calibration is probably what bothers me most.

Ā 

I use an SCT XCal2 programmer on my Explorer (4.0L 4x4) and it makes a huge performance improvement. It has 3 tunes: 87 octane "mild performance", 93 octane "torque", and 93 octane "performance". With any of the tunes, it is much quicker off the line and through all the gears. Shifts are crisp and very quick without being harsh. The front end actually kicks upward on the 1-2 at WOT instead of dropping and waiting for the next gear. Yet shifts feel normal during light acceleration. It also increased my average fuel economy by 3 mpg. This is basically what I want to see for the Edge.

I'm also wondering about any available performance tuners for the 2011 Edge 3.5L. I'm considering getting a Limited AWD, but it feels slow and I don't like the lagging shifts (upshifts and downshifts). I'm hoping a programmer can wake it up a little and firm up the shifts too. The trans calibration is probably what bothers me most.

Ā 

I use an SCT XCal2 programmer on my Explorer (4.0L 4x4) and it makes a huge performance improvement. It has 3 tunes: 87 octane "mild performance", 93 octane "torque", and 93 octane "performance". With any of the tunes, it is much quicker off the line and through all the gears. Shifts are crisp and very quick without being harsh. The front end actually kicks upward on the 1-2 at WOT instead of dropping and waiting for the next gear. Yet shifts feel normal during light acceleration. It also increased my average fuel economy by 3 mpg. This is basically what I want to see for the Edge.

Ā 

Did you check with SCT? I'm pretty sure they make one that will work with the Edge. Maybe even the Xcal2 that you already have.

Sounds good, plz keep us posted. I don't think I'm familiar with the "G-Force Sensor Module"?

Ā 

I will keep you guys informed. The car is awaiting trucking into the US and then down to FL.

Ā 

It could take three more weeks. I will then order the Module and Air Intake after delivery of the car. They take just a week or so to arrive.

• 3 weeks later...

I will keep you guys informed. The car is awaiting trucking into the US and then down to FL.

Ā 

It could take three more weeks. I will then order the Module and Air Intake after delivery of the car. They take just a week or so to arrive.

Ā 

Being in the industry, I would never use one of those "chips." All it will do is trick the IAT into thinking it is actually cooler in temperature. The reason this "works" is the factory parameters are set to retard timing (minimally) as IAT increases so in theory if it is cooler less timing is taken out. You're tricking the computer and not measuring true temperature.

• 2 weeks later...

Being in the industry, I would never use one of those "chips." All it will do is trick the IAT into thinking it is actually cooler in temperature. The reason this "works" is the factory parameters are set to retard timing (minimally) as IAT increases so in theory if it is cooler less timing is taken out. You're tricking the computer and not measuring true temperature.

Can tricking the ecu or the IAT into thinking it has a slightly cooler running temp than it really has, be harmful the car?

Ā 

I live in South Florida and it is always really hot out anyway. That is why our cars are always running around slightly in Retarded mode, more than not.

Ā 

It is too hot out and 90%-100% humidity almost all year long.

Ā 

WE lose a good 30 HP and most cars here, bog out on turns, stops, and Stop&Goes. They get, "not great mileage" from this condition and just run at bear minimum factory specs for gas mileage.

Ā 

So, fooling the IAT into correcting the timing a little and running closer to 14:1 air/fuel ratio, should keep it better, cleaner,and running near the higher end of the factory midrange specs, right?

Ā 

and know about it when I have my car serviced, with no reprocussions at all by them.

Ā 

Do you think I could cause any more (or less) damage to the longevity of the engine over, using a Tuner instead? The tuner can really mess things up for the engine,.... running at maxed out levels, on every plane, if I screw it up or don't get it tuned well enough, right?

Ā 

With this thing, I think it is safer for us, and if we put a tankful of Premium fuel, into the car here and there, then the car will run "good and fired up" for just that one tankful, with a good extra punch of power and gas mileage, right?

Ā 

Then, back to regular gas and just the few extra miles per gallon, all the while, having an extra 30HP or so, just enough extra that is wanted and needed for this.

Ā 

So, is there anything else that might be damaging over the long term by doing the Module hook-up?

Ā 

Let me know please. Ps. I am also putting in a 3" aluminum long tube to the divers side far corner of the engine bay, with a K&N filter cone, and some adapter plates to keep the MAF sensor from triggering a Check Engine Light and then the Limp mode sequence, if it is needed. The adapters if needed will change the air flow circulation just a little bit to make sure the intake air is not too high or swirled ahead of the MAF, if that triggers the sensor. So, do I have this part correct? I think this is all I will need on the airfilter set up at worst case. Please advise.

Can tricking the ecu or the IAT into thinking it has a slightly cooler running temp than it really has, be harmful the car?

Ā 

I live in South Florida and it is always really hot out anyway. That is why our cars are always running around slightly in Retarded mode, more than not.

Ā 

It is too hot out and 90%-100% humidity almost all year long.

Ā 

WE lose a good 30 HP and most cars here, bog out on turns, stops, and Stop&Goes. They get, "not great mileage" from this condition and just run at bear minimum factory specs for gas mileage.

Ā 

So, fooling the IAT into correcting the timing a little and running closer to 14:1 air/fuel ratio, should keep it better, cleaner,and running near the higher end of the factory midrange specs, right?

Ā 

and know about it when I have my car serviced, with no reprocussions at all by them.

Ā 

Do you think I could cause any more (or less) damage to the longevity of the engine over, using a Tuner instead? The tuner can really mess things up for the engine,.... running at maxed out levels, on every plane, if I screw it up or don't get it tuned well enough, right?

Ā 

With this thing, I think it is safer for us, and if we put a tankful of Premium fuel, into the car here and there, then the car will run "good and fired up" for just that one tankful, with a good extra punch of power and gas mileage, right?

Ā 

Then, back to regular gas and just the few extra miles per gallon, all the while, having an extra 30HP or so, just enough extra that is wanted and needed for this.

Ā 

So, is there anything else that might be damaging over the long term by doing the Module hook-up?

Ā 

Let me know please. Ps. I am also putting in a 3" aluminum long tube to the divers side far corner of the engine bay, with a K&N filter cone, and some adapter plates to keep the MAF sensor from triggering a Check Engine Light and then the Limp mode sequence, if it is needed. The adapters if needed will change the air flow circulation just a little bit to make sure the intake air is not too high or swirled ahead of the MAF, if that triggers the sensor. So, do I have this part correct? I think this is all I will need on the airfilter set up at worst case. Please advise.

Ā 

I am in Florida too and drive a supercharged mustang (compressed air is hotter) and with a proper tune there are no issues with heat.

Ā 

Honestly I disagree with most of what you wrote. My suggestion would be to read more about what a tuner actually does and how it does it. Prior to OBDII standards when there were no flash devices there were bad things being done to "tune" vehicles. As things changed, people learned more and tuning became more of an art form. In a tune you are modifying parameters, not tricking them. You are adjusting transmission parameters to lower heat (which is what kills automatic transmissions) and you are doing many other things that increase the efficiency of the engine all while potentially increasing hp,tq and fuel economy in the process.

Ā 

Can a tune reduce longevity, yes absolutely...if done incorrectly. Can the IAT trickery reduce longevity, yes most definitely. Timing has to be retarded as a vehicle gets hot. The problem is, most manufacturers retard it too much. A tune will still allow this to happen but at a lesser degree. With tricking the IAT the engine is hotter than what the sensor tells the computer it actually is. So, the computer may think the temperature is 160 degrees but the actual temp may be closer to 200. Now, will you as a customer see this reduced longevity, probably not.

Ā 

Using a tuner allows the vehicle to still run completely within the factory parameters though at a modified level. Add in the ability to read and clear DTC's, and datalog sensor parameters and the device more than pays for itself.

Ā 

For your MAF, newer drive by wire vehicles are VERY sensitive in this area. Chances are no matter what you do, it will still set off the check engine light. This is why most cold air systems for newer vehicles require tuning.

Ā 

Ultimately you do what you want with your car and I am not here to sell anyone on SCT. I am not in the sales department, I am an engineer. If you want to use IAT trickery go right ahead.

G-Force has been around for a while now.

They stated to me by phone that their chip is an actual CHIP which is programmed on a Chip Burner with a Pre-Programmed TUNE that will actually change the ECU programming parameters just as a Tuner box will, but that it will be just one tuned program.

Ā 

It is not a resister of a system that changes the temperature readling. They say that those that do that out there are cheap ways to get your car to run a little more advanced than factory, but are really not very good.

Ā 

This is a Chip with a program that is individually burned for my 2011 Sport Edge 3.7 Engine and that programs are individually set with their our needed Tune based on the car, engine, etc.

Ā 

This is supposed to do just what the hand held will do, but is limited to just one nice 35-40HP increase on my engine and that it will show on a Dyno, and they do encourage me to do it and get the word out! $69 and it just plugs in ahead of the ECU.

Ā 

Mine arrive this week.

They stated to me by phone that their chip is an actual CHIP which is programmed on a Chip Burner with a Pre-Programmed TUNE that will actually change the ECU programming parameters just as a Tuner box will, but that it will be just one tuned program.

Ā 

It is not a resister of a system that changes the temperature readling. They say that those that do that out there are cheap ways to get your car to run a little more advanced than factory, but are really not very good.

Ā 

This is a Chip with a program that is individually burned for my 2011 Sport Edge 3.7 Engine and that programs are individually set with their our needed Tune based on the car, engine, etc.

Ā 

This is supposed to do just what the hand held will do, but is limited to just one nice 35-40HP increase on my engine and that it will show on a Dyno, and they do encourage me to do it and get the word out! $69 and it just plugs in ahead of the ECU.

Ā 

Mine arrive this week.

I hate to tell you but that is impossible. You cannot install a "chip" in the Edge's computer. The J3 port which a chip attaches to was done away with on all Ford computers starting in late 2004. A handheld tuner reprograms the processor through the OBDII port and is the ONLY way to do so on the Edge. Furthermore, no company has tuning support for the 2011 Edge yet including us. The 2011 is using a different processor from the 2010.

Ā 

I looked into it more. This is from their website: (http://www.gfchips.com/)

Ā 

"EASY INSTALLATION. Installation can be performed by anyone using simple hand tools. The GForce module installs into your FORD EDGE's engine bay and is connected via 2 wires that plug into the IAT sensor. Diagrams are included. The unit is then able to reprogram the ECU thus improving your car's performance. Everything needed for installation is included in this kit for a quick and easy installation that shouldn't take more than 15 minutes. There is absolutley nothing else needed to have this installed on your vehicle."

Ā 

So how is that not an IAT resistor?

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Mine arrive this week.

Edited by Blivit