Heat Shield

I ordered the Drawtite 75526 hitch and watched the how-to videos.

In the video, there appers to be recessed dimples in the heat shields where the oem bolts are located. The vid shows that the shield is sandwiched between the frame and the hitch when reinstalled. I'm assuming these dimples are compressd flat, but was wondering if I should hammer them flat first before reinstall.

Any comments from those who installed a hitch?

I honestly don't remember any dimples when I installed my hitch. I have a Curt hitch and the instructions called for trimming some of the heat shield where the hitch met the frame rails.

I'm going to venture to say that the dimples won't be a big deal. As a general rule, you should re-torque the hitch mounting bolts after your first towing trip to make sure they haven't loosened. If the dimples flattened out, the re-torquing will take care of that anyway.

I installed the hitch on Saturday and it was fairly easy. I did end-up flattening those dimples and just thought it would be better to do so before reinstalling the shields. The wiring will be next Saturday's project.

Edited by Franklee