2010 AWD PTU leak issue solved?- should I take a chance?

John223

My 08 SEL is in for its 5th repair. I am going to replace the car one way or another at this point(i'll leave that for another post). I don't know if I should take the chance with a 2010 Edge? Other than this PTU leak wifey and I love the car, its handling, style. I see some threads starting up on PTU seal leaks for 2010's. If anyone with a good insight on this can help I'd appreciate it. Also does anyone know if the 2011s use the same AWD system? I understand Flexs and Taurus uses it. It will be pretty foolish of Ford not the correct this.

I wouldnt.. Mine has been a dud in the build quality and there are several other on here having transmission problems and Ford not knowing how to fix em. This engine/tranny combo just hasnt been around long enough for them to work out the bugs I suppose. If I could, Id move on.

My 08 SEL is in for its 5th repair. I am going to replace the car one way or another at this point(i'll leave that for another post). I don't know if I should take the chance with a 2010 Edge? Other than this PTU leak wifey and I love the car, its handling, style. I see some threads starting up on PTU seal leaks for 2010's. If anyone with a good insight on this can help I'd appreciate it. Also does anyone know if the 2011s use the same AWD system? I understand Flexs and Taurus uses it. It will be pretty foolish of Ford not the correct this.

Ā 

My wife has a 2009 limited AWD. It now has approx. 25,000 and no PTU leak (actually, no leaks at all). After reading all I have on this forum about the PTU seal leak problem, I'm a little concern, and check it every so often.

Ā 

So to answer your question, I don't know..maybe it was fixed for the 2009's and on? If it means anything, her Edge is a later 2009 build (takes the FL500S oil fiter rather than the FL400).

Ā 

Good luck...and by the way, so far, very happy w/ the Edge.

My 2010 AWD Limited had the dreaded PTU leaking at 25k. The dealer did not just replace the seal, but the entire PTU. The only other problem I have had is replaced both rear wheel bearings. Seems this has been a problem for some time too. I understand that the control arms are the upgraded ones already, but the bearings had issues. Having driven Explorers for almost 10 years, the Edge is a very cool change!

• 7 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I have a 2008, had the PTU replaced early last year and have not had any new problems with it, and it has been cold here. I was told it got the new designed seal etc. I am told by someone in the biz that most dealerships will use their old parts stock even in a situation like this where the old parts are defective because they get paid to fix it once with a defective part and then again and again until it's right. Possibly why there are people that have to have it fixed multiple times.