2011 Sport axle ratio

Edgieguy

Can someone explain the axle ratio of the Sport vs. the Limited? Sport is 3.39 Limited is 3.16. Will I be able to slap a hitch on the Sport and tow my 1800lb load? What would be the difference from my 2008 with its 3.16 ratio?

Numerically higher is actually better for towing - gives you more oomph off the line. Most towing packages give a numerically higher axle ratio which yields more power at lower RPM. As long as the vehicle itself is still rated for 1800 lbs (I think it's at least 3000) then you're actually better off with the Sport.

OK, that confirms all ive read. Strange then that the Sport will not include any type of towing package... More power, More Torque, taller gearing, no tow package? :shrug:

Hi Edgieguy. :D As akirby mentioned, a numerically higher axle ratio is used to help improve the acceleration ability of vehicles used for towing. Additionally, numerically higher axle ratios are also used for acceleration purposes/benefits of non-towng vehicles, sports cars etc.. So in the case of the Edge Sport, the purpose of the numerically higher axle ratio is twofold. First, to to give a quicker feel on off-the-line acceleration. And second, to help with that off-the line acceleration the higher axle ratio also helps make up for the heavier rolling stock and increased diameter of the Sport models 22" wheels/tires. Simply put, it takes more energy/power/torque to get a larger diameter and heavier wheel.tire combination moving, and a numerically higher axle ratio helps. Of course, keep in mind that same higher ratio hurts overall fuel mileage, since the engine will need to turn higher RPM'S at any given speed.

This last part is speculation and educated guessing: While I have not yet researched the load rating of the 2011 Edge Sports 22" tires, they may be the reason that there is no tow package. With the 22" wheels/tires, the sidewall ratio has to be decreased dramatically to keep the overall wheel/tire diameter within specs. Generally, when you decrease the sidewall ratio, the load rating of the tire also drops (in apples to apples comparisons). So it may very well be that the Edge Sports tires cannot handle a passenger and cargo load, and still maintain any type of realistic towing capacity.

Hope this information helps. And while I figured I would play it safe and reply, my apologies if you already know all of this information. At least it may help anyone else who possibly has similar questions concerning axle ratios, etc..

Good luck. :beerchug:

Edited by bbf2530