oil filter not changed with 1st oil change

partime46

I Engine Performance problem

2008 Ford Edge 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 20,118 miles

I have a fairly big problem. I leased a 2008 Ford Edge and had the oil changed once, or at least I thought I had at a local car wash. Went to Ford Dealership March 31st 2009 at approx 17,000 miles for 2nd oil change and they informed me the factory filter has never been removed. To top it off, I just got a check engine light and found out some cam phaser and VCT Solenoid pull codes POO18 AND PO021 and they want to remove/teardown the entire engine to check for sludge. $1,700 which I can not afford. its running fine, but idles rather shakey and the dealership just told me if i could live with the chk engine light on, keep driving it until time to turn it in at end of lease. Does anyone have any suggestions or ideas they may wish to share with me that may resolve the issue that the dealer has not mentioned. I appreciate any and all input.. thanks

Edited by partime46

I have a fairly big problem. I leased a 2008 Ford Edge and had the oil changed once, or at least I thought I had at a local car wash. Went to Ford Dealership two months ago at approx 17,000 miles for oil change again and they informed me the factory filter has never been removed. To top it off, I just got a check engine light and found out some cam sensors or something like that are plugged with sludge and they have to remove the entire engine to put on new sensors. $1,700 which I can not afford. its running fine, but idles rather shakey and the dealership just told me if i could live with the chk engine light on, keep driving it until time to turn it in at end of lease. Does anyone have any suggestions or ideas they may wish to share with me that may resolve the issue that the dealer has not mentioned. I appreciate any and all input.. thanks PS, I Currenntly have 20,118 miles on the engine

Sounds like they not only didn't change the filter, but they didn't change the oil either. Only two changes in 17K is bad enough when the stuff is changed--- but when it's not changed, it's reaally bad news to your engine. So, at this point, you could just live with the rough idle or attempt to clean the sludge up using an engine oil flush with a strong detergent.

There's nothing to lose by trying a flush! :banghead:

• Like 1

Sounds like they not only didn't change the filter, but they didn't change the oil either. Only two changes in 17K is bad enough when the stuff is changed--- but when it's not changed, it's reaally bad news to your engine. So, at this point, you could just live with the rough idle or attempt to clean the sludge up using an engine oil flush with a strong detergent.

There's nothing to lose by trying a flush! :banghead:

I finally found the dealer invoice, here is the exact issue:Engine Performance problem

2008 Ford Edge 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 20,118 miles

I leased a 2008 Ford Edge and had the oil changed once, or at least I thought I had at a local car wash. Went to Ford Dealership March 31st 2009 at approx 17,000 miles for 2nd oil change and they informed me the factory filter has never been removed. To top it off, I just got a check engine light and found out some cam phaser and VCT Solenoid pull codes POO18 AND PO021 and they want to remove/teardown the entire engine to check for sludge. $1,700 which I can not afford. its running fine, but idles rather shakey and the dealership just told me if i could live with the chk engine light on, keep driving it until time to turn it in at end of lease. Does anyone have any suggestions or ideas they may wish to share with me that may resolve the issue that the dealer has not mentioned. I appreciate any and all advice,

First find a new dealer. 2nd I cant see a reason for a motor tear down. I'm not sure about the edge motor but most solenoid's can be changed with out pulling the motor. My advice get an oil change then change it again around Miles then maybe,maybe again after 500 miles. Try to flush it out but odds are everything is fine with the motor and your solenoid is a separate issue. I guess there could be sluge messing with the VCT solenoid but I dought it. You really think your the only person to ever go 17k miles with out an oil change? Nope. Go back to the place you thought you had an oil changed,with your recite. You never know they might use an OEM filter. Even if you dont have your recite it cant hust to ask about the oil filter.

• Like 1