power lift gate

smcmurray

power lift gate  

17 members have voted

1. 1. When closing the power lift gate it will:

• close every time all the time (unless obvious obstruction)
    • never close properly
    • close properly 99 times out of 100
    • close properly 9 times out of 10

I am very frustrated with my power lift gate. The dealer cannot resolve the issue. They claim they cannot fix it until the vehicle acts up while hooked to the diagnostic computer. That's been next to impossible because it fails when I am far from the show room and have to manually close it to drive over. Once manually closed it is reset and works until the next time it fails which can be up to a month later. Even if they towed it I think they'd manually close the lift gate to get it over there. I'm not convinced the computer will tell them anything we don't already know - the door senses an obstruction when there is not one.

Anyway, I created another post a few months back looking for solutions and so far there do not seem to be any. With this post I am not seeking a solution but I'm trying to understand if maybe my expectations are jut too high. Maybe what I am seeing as a major problem most other owners brush off as a minor quirk. They close the lift gate manually and just carry on.

Edited by smcmurray

• 3 weeks later...

Well I did a pile of searching and I came across various websites that list the TSB's. None of them had anything about the liftgate. If there is anyone on here that works for Ford, could you please look into this and provide the TSB number if it exists ?? Many thanks in advance !!

• 3 months later...

After more trips to the dealer and having them finally hook up the computer while it was malfunctioning they decided to replace the pinch strips. That did not work so they finally broke down and replaced the closer motor. So far, about 5 months, it's been working. Just annoyed it took that long for something that is that obvious. There were only two possible failure points so it should not have taken that long to resolve.