2011 Sport With HID and Adaptive Cruise?

Bummer. I wonder why they limited it to the Limited. Do HID headlamps conflict with the Sport's smoked lenses? You would think the cruise wiring, etc. would be the same since the brake systems are probably the same between the two models. Does anyone have any insight?

Bummer. I wonder why they limited it to the Limited. Do HID headlamps conflict with the Sport's smoked lenses? You would think the cruise wiring, etc. would be the same since the brake systems are probably the same between the two models. Does anyone have any insight?

It has to be a marketing decision rather than a technical decision but nobody knows. You can see all the options at the edge website.

The other more likely explanation is they're trying to limit sport sales for CAFE reasons. I've seen it before.

Edited by akirby

Thanks for your insight akirby. I've been to the website several times and the options seem goofy. You can order the best performance model, but without the of the best safety features. I find that weird.

Does anyone know of an order option code or "sekret handshake" or something that will allow someone to order these options on the Sport? Wifey wants the safety options, I want the performance. Help!

• 1 month later...

It's probably done for wiring harness complexity. Not creating a 3.7L Edge with HID/ACC would reduce the number of wiring harnesses needed by 1.

If that's the case (and it may very well be), it would be one of the worst possible reasons - and precisely the kind of inherited "car-think" decisions Ford has to move away from to continue building its brand equity and make the critical transformation from a maker of some great cars into a great car maker. These include the myriad other "nickel and dime" decisions that are made in which certain obvious cost-savings decisions are made that compromise value or functionality - because the ultimate message to the marketplace is "this is a cost savings burden we expect the consumer to bear - without given them so much as the courtesy of paying for it if they choose". And it plays worse the more trivial and less expensive the item involved - because there's so much less rational justification from the consumer's point of view.

Hopefully, Ford will quickly learn that the value of its positive perception (and continuing to enhance it further) likely FAR outweighs the bottom-line profit benefit than any additional nickels and dimes it hopes to save by even allowing buyers, reviewers and competitors to have something to talk about - and the fact that 2011 Edge is SO good doesn't make it better, it only makes matters worse because it compromises a vehicle that's been so obviously and thoughtfully improved in SO many ways.

I think I solved the mystery. In order to get the 3.7L motor, adaptive cruise control, and HID headlamps, I'll have to get an MKX.

By the way, there is both an Edge and an MKX at the MN State Fair. I sat in them both, and I got to say the interior of the MKX is incredible.