Autoblog - 2011 Edge Sport

akirby

Nice first drive, but I want to see how the 2011 Edge compares against the Nissan Murano and Toyota Venza. Why is the Sport Edge so much heavier than the competition? If it lost some weigh it would be as quick as the Venza.

Who cares if it's faster than a Murano or Venza?

I do. Do you have a problem with what I care about?

Do I have a problem with it? Of course not. I just don't understand it. To me that seems the same as asking if a Fiesta can tow more than a Honda Fit or if you can get a child's car seat into the back seat of a Shelby GT500 comfortably.

So seriously - what would you do differently if it was slightly faster than the Murano vs. slighly slower?

Do I have a problem with it? Of course not. I just don't understand it. To me that seems the same as asking if a Fiesta can tow more than a Honda Fit or if you can get a child's car seat into the back seat of a Shelby GT500 comfortably.

So seriously - what would you do differently if it was slightly faster than the Murano vs. slighly slower?

Why would Ford go to all trouble of putting in a new 3.7 liter 305hp engine in the 2011 Sport if they didn't want it to be at least faster than the competition?

Why would Ford go to all trouble of putting in a new 3.7 liter 305hp engine in the 2011 Sport if they didn't want it to be at least faster than the competition?

They want it to be competitive - that doesn't always translate into faster 0-60 times.

What matters is how it feels in the vehicle. When you drive it does it have enough power for you? That's more important than statistics. The vast majority of buyers don't know any specs on the engine and while it's nice to have bragging rights in C&D I doubt it helps that much to sell vehicles, especially with what is essentially a tall station wagon.

The only people who typically compare 0-60 times are bench racers - usually guys who memorize every car's 0-60 time and compare their vehicles in conversation in person or on the internet. as in:

I have a 2011 Ford Edge Sport. It does 0-60 in 6.5 seconds which is 0.3 faster than your Nissan Murano.

Not saying you're a bench racer, but you get the drift. It would make a little more sense in a sports car like a Mustang Boss (but only a little).