Edge Rear Mud Flaps

I am the proud owner of a 2008 Ford Edge Limited. I take very good care of my car as my Ford dealer service manager will attest. I want to keep the car looking good all the time. When I first bought it I went ahead and purchase the factory add ons to protect the exterior of the car. I bought the hood deflector , rear bumper edge guard and mud flaps (they only sell ones for the front). First; I wanted flaps on all four wheels and second; I didnt want to drill holes into the fender lips to mount them. I have owned several foreign cars and had purchase mud guards for them. The foreign manufacturers did some planning and made it so you use the existing hole locations to mount the mud flaps. No drilling!!!. So in order to mount the flaps I made a tracing the shape of a left and right flap. I removed the screws that hold the inner fender well in place. I positioned the tracing where I wanted to located the flap and maked the exisitng holes on the tracing. I transfered the holes to the flaps and using the exising screws attached the flap at each wheel. It took a littel time but the results where worth it. I havent seen any Ford Edges around me with mud flaps on. I think in part because it is not an easy add on. Who wants to drill holes into their $30K vehicle. Anyone else tried this?

Edited by Hirpms55

I ordered the splash guards my 11 sport from my Ford dealer (Ford made part). I made sure that I didnt need to drill hole. The dealer confrimed that yes holes are predrilled and you use the existing screws to mount the splash guard. Ford doesnt want anyone drilling holes in their vehicle either.

Once they come in I'll see if I can make them work for the rears.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I ordered the splash guards my 11 sport from my Ford dealer (Ford made part). I made sure that I didnt need to drill hole. The dealer confrimed that yes holes are predrilled and you use the existing screws to mount the splash guard. Ford doesnt want anyone drilling holes in their vehicle either.

I asked my dealer about splash guards/ mud flaps for the Sport and they said they have nothing. Can you post the Ford Part number for the 2011 Sport Splash guard / mud flap you purchased?

I guess Ford got smart with the later versions. Hope the factory ones you order work. Foreign car manufacturers have been doing this for years. Post a pic when you can. Good luck!

• 2 months later...

[

Any followup about these mud flaps and the predrilled holes on the 2011 Ford Edge limited? My dealer has a set for me .I have not seen them.Will be going in this PM to see.Not sure if I will get them installed.

Just got back from the dealer.The mud guards from Ford were black flexable plastic .Very cheap looking and you need to drill holes to secure them.I did not take them.They were free .I guess they had them in stock for some time ,can't even give them away.Oh and they were for front wheels.None are in the system for the back wheels.End of that story for now.

I wish I had done what herp did......sounds like a clean install. I was really weary of drilling holes on the fender lip because the space is very small. Whatever you do, use a center punch and you should be fine. They are chintzy looking and generic as they have like 15 holes on the flap to drill for other ford vehicles. Once on the vehicle they do look nice IMO. Definitely keep the rocks/debris off the side of the car.

So when you take out the old screws and put them back in is just like drilling a hole. Paint will be chipped in the threads unless you decide to seal up the screw holes after removing them. This goes for any screw that is in metal on your vehicle. You can not remove a screw with out exposing fresh metal to the environment!

Anyway if you do drill holes all you need to do is clean the holes after drilling and apply touch-up paint to the area you drilled in, let the paint dry thoroughly and then apply touch-up paint to the threads of the screw and screw it in. This will seal the fresh metal and prevent rust. Been doing this for years with no rust issues.

• 1 month later...

I wish I had done what herp did......sounds like a clean install. I was really weary of drilling holes on the fender lip because the space is very small. Whatever you do, use a center punch and you should be fine. They are chintzy looking and generic as they have like 15 holes on the flap to drill for other ford vehicles. Once on the vehicle they do look nice IMO. Definitely keep the rocks/debris off the side of the car.

I just ordered front splash guards for my 2008 Edge on Ebay. OEM Ford part. I'll let you know how it goes. Will have them next week.