No Home Link on Edge Sport?????

olesno

I just ordered my Edge Sport from a local dealer in NJ and I found out that this version has no Home Link or remote garage door opener . Isn't that ridiculous not to offer this simple device in an otherwise electronic loaded vehicle? What about HID in Sport? That's not available either. It's supposed to be the top of the line vehicle but at least couple of essential items are missing from the menu. Wonder who made that knucklehead decision...

I just ordered my Edge Sport from a local dealer in NJ and I found out that this version has no Home Link or remote garage door opener . Isn't that ridiculous not to offer this simple device in an otherwise electronic loaded vehicle? What about HID in Sport? That's not available either. It's supposed to be the top of the line vehicle but at least couple of essential items are missing from the menu. Wonder who made that knucklehead decision...

But it's not the "top of the line" vehicle just because it has a bigger engine. The MKX is the top of the line 3.7L vehicle which I presume is why you can't get HIDs or homelink on the Sport model. Yes, it sucks but that's marketing for you.

MKX is a Lincoln and not Ford. I presently have the MKX 2007 and it has the "home link" but the electronics are not even close to the 2011 Edge. What I am trying to say is that the home link is available on the 2011 Edge, but for whatever reaso not on the Sport version.

MKX is a Lincoln and not Ford. I presently have the MKX 2007 and it has the "home link" but the electronics are not even close to the 2011 Edge. What I am trying to say is that the home link is available on the 2011 Edge, but for whatever reaso not on the Sport version.

I know exactly what you're saying. Trust me - the Edge Sport competes against the MKX because they share the same engine and they both have the mytouch interface. Offering HIDs and homelink on the Edge Sport would cost some MKX sales and Lincoln dealers need help right now. If you don't think the Edge Sport competes with the MKX then you're not paying attention.

I don't like it either, but I understand why they did it.

I just don't think that the home link is a deal breaker for Ford buyers and I don't think that a potential Lincoln buyer would change his/her mind if they knew that the Sport has a home link. We are talking here about $20 garage door opener and not the the $4 - $6k price difference between the Edge and the MKX.

I just don't think that the home link is a deal breaker for Ford buyers and I don't think that a potential Lincoln buyer would change his/her mind if they knew that the Sport has a home link. We are talking here about $20 garage door opener and not the the $4 - $6k price difference between the Edge and the MKX.

It's not JUST that - it's also HIDs, etc.

Now you can get an Edge with the 3.7L but no bells and whistles (Sport) OR you can get the Edge with all the bells and whistles but not the 3.7L (Limited).

Or you can get the MKX which has both. This keeps the MKX somewhat exclusive while still allowing Edge buyers access to both the 3.7L and the bells and whistles, just not together.

So the sport does not come with HID? This may be a deal breaker for me. Ive had HIDs on all my cars for the last 6+ years. I dont care about the homelink (I do but not that much) but the HIDs are an issue. And my Sport is coming in on Thursday. I actually never thought of checking in on this.

Time to talk to the dealer!!

I hear what you're saying on competing with the Lincoln and agree except for 1 thing, I don't know ANY Lincoln buyers who would buy the Sport because of the 22s. They are a little flashy for your typical Lincoln buyer IMO. It is disappointing and may be a couple of the reasons why we stick with the Limited instead. Also, I believe it's been referred to as the "top of the line" Edge because it is in fact the most expensive version of the Edge available if equipped the same as the Limited.

I think this is a cop-out on Ford's part.

There is a huge difference between a Toyota Highlander and Lexus RX350. Big difference between Nissan Murano and Infiniti FX35. Both Murano and Highlander have most of these "differentiating features" such as homelink.

I think Ford is lazy in how they have handled Lincoln. If they want Lincoln to be successful like Lexus or Infiniti, they need to develop an identify for Lincoln and bake that into their cars, not just de-content a few nitpicky features like homelink and HIDs. We all know the MKX is 90%+ Edge. Ford needs to invest in some unique styling and content for LIncoln cars if they want to draw buyers toward that brand.

Just my $0.02.

I think this is a cop-out on Ford's part.

There is a huge difference between a Toyota Highlander and Lexus RX350. Big difference between Nissan Murano and Infiniti FX35. Both Murano and Highlander have most of these "differentiating features" such as homelink.

I think Ford is lazy in how they have handled Lincoln. If they want Lincoln to be successful like Lexus or Infiniti, they need to develop an identify for Lincoln and bake that into their cars, not just de-content a few nitpicky features like homelink and HIDs. We all know the MKX is 90%+ Edge. Ford needs to invest in some unique styling and content for LIncoln cars if they want to draw buyers toward that brand.

Just my $0.02.

They're not lazy. It was a business decision. Ford spent a lot of money on the Ford brand and once the new Explorer and Focus roll out it will be almost complete. They have just now begun to focus on upgrading Lincoln the way it should be. That's why the Taurus is nicer in some ways than the current MKS. Lincoln basically only got table scraps the last 3 years. Now it's their turn but it will take 3-4 years to get all the vehicles upgraded, starting with the refreshed MKS. The MKX will have to wait a bit to get totally unique sheetmetal and other features.

I wouldn't be surprised if the 3.7L becomes Lincoln only and the Edge only offers the new 3.5L at some point - like the Explorer. Same reason the new Fusion will likely only get 4 cylinder engines although at least one will be EcoBoosted.

I like to think of it that Ford has really upped their game to near luxury levels so that's why the gap has closed but I agree, an extra $7000 for the MKX seems a bit much for what you get. Just not sure how else to improve it to make up the price difference because the Edge is already so nice.

I too was all over the Edge Sport...wanted the wheels, the engine, the taps, oh wait...no HID, No home link, no trailer tow package, etc. etc.??? On top of this, the performance numbers are DOWN on Sport vs. Limited? Really? After looking into this i can now understand why...but still. And get this...i am paying how much more?? Didnt wash with me. I chose the Limited (yes smaller engine i know), got the sport rims seperate, so i got part of the 'look'...and i still have money in my pocket and all the features i wanted.

Personal choice i know...and yes...could have gone to Lincoln - but not my style at my age. Not quite ready for that yet.

I feel your pain...hope your conversation with dealer goes well.

That said...picked mine up last week...but it has been in the shop ever since - details in the Welcome forum. Not sure what to do :(

Agreed, but I still stand by my previous statement and include those buyers drawn to the Lincoln brand because of the MKX. Somehow those 22s on that Lincoln would look pretty silly. (And I REALLY like those rims)

I will take issue and disagree with you there. I have an 11 MKX on order and was bummed doing my research that 22" rims were not available. I'd love 22" chrome on my black/black MKX (as long as they were a nice style). I don't care for the black inserts on the Sport but the wheels overall are very cool.

I will take issue and disagree with you there. I have an 11 MKX on order and was bummed doing my research that 22" rims were not available. I'd love 22" chrome on my black/black MKX (as long as they were a nice style). I don't care for the black inserts on the Sport but the wheels overall are very cool.

?? You'll take issue then agree with me? I didn't say every 22 on the MKX would look funny, just the ones from the Sport. Straight spoked chrome 22s would like nice (like a bigger version of the 18s on the limited)

?? You'll take issue then agree with me? I didn't say every 22 on the MKX would look funny, just the ones from the Sport. Straight spoked chrome 22s would like nice (like a bigger version of the 18s on the limited)

A note to all that are sad that there is no Homelink on the sport. I put my garage door opener in the front cup holder, button up and it is quicker to access than pulling down the visor and finding the right button. Plus the batterys last practicaly forever and are not that costly . An add on honelink does not justify the extra cost. Just my two cents worth Zipscuba