Another wheel thread

edged out +

I have the 18" painted aluminum factory wheels on my Edge sel plus and was thinking of changing them out for the 'upgraded' chrome-clad wheels which Ford touts as the premium wheel package($750.00 option). Well, after careful investigation I have found out the the premium wheel package is just a plastic chrome cover for an 18" rim. Yes, just like the chrome "wheelskins" found on the Explorers and the new six spoke chrome design for the Edge is the same chrome plastic cover design! Now I am thinking my painted aluminum 18" wheel package is a bargain for the $395.00 sticker (which was actually less with my X-plan). Since when did a chrome plastic hubcap become a premium accessory? :redcard: So for those of you who didn't know, as good as they look, they are just plastic wheel covers.

So I have reconsidered my idea and now have decided to have my painted rims chromed which will give me an actual 18" chromed wheel.. not a faux set-up. Will post pics when wheels come back from chroming.

O.K. RANT OVER :shades:

I for one think that is a great idea, cause personally I think the painted wheel is a better looking design.

I think everyone would probably also be interested how much chroming would cost.

Again right on if the chromer does a good job, I'm betting it will look great, and maybe even start a trend.

Personally i didnt care which set of wheels came with my Edge, it just happened to be the one with all the other features we wanted had the chrome clad (the wording clad is in the ordering guide/info somewhere, not chrome). Its publicised that these are clad wheels. Would like to see a photo some time if you have one after its done.

Personally i didnt care which set of wheels came with my Edge, it just happened to be the one with all the other features we wanted had the chrome clad (the wording clad is in the ordering guide/info somewhere, not chrome). Its publicised that these are clad wheels. Would like to see a photo some time if you have one after its done.

Page 27 in the 2007 sales brochure under the wheel specifications directly states option C: " 18" Premium Aluminum Chrome-Clad Optional on SEL and SEL Plus" also above that on page 27 in the options category it's listed again as Chrome-Clad and gives the appropriate tire size.

When completed I will have pics to offer.

Just stating that $750.00 for 4 plastic wheel covers is not my idea of a premium wheel package.

FYI - the covers do not come off - it is a one piece rim - if search ebay you can see what they look like off the car with no tire.

My guess is this product type is new - hence the expense - if someone has any technical info on this type of product and why its expensive it would be nice to know.

Thanks

When I first saw Chrome clad I though an aluminum wheel clad in chrome insted of polished aluminum like some other auto mfg's do. Cool. :shades:

Once I found out it was a permanently glued on plastic hub cap with a chrome coating applied and designed to deliver a premium wheel "look" I was disappointed. I like the look of the wheels but I think the aluminum painted would be better bet and then send them for stripping and polishing. :banghead:

Non technical wording for the premium wheels - el cheapo rough cast aluminum wheel with a K-Mart special chrome like hub cap crazy glued to the middle - (tire mounting free with purchase of a set of 6) :hysterical:

Don't know why this bothers me so much as they do look sharp and you can't notice unless I tap on them or fell the edge near the spokes.

I think I'm just tired of everyone asking for more while tricking me into accepting less.

Update on Edge 18" painted aluminum wheels...

My extra set came in and I decided to put the painted aluminum 18" wheels on my AWD Ford Fusion. The offset and bolt pattern for the Fusion is exactly the same as the Edge. So I wrapped them in 225/45/18 Bridgestone Potenza RE960AS Ultra Performance All-Season Radials. It gives the Fusion a nice stance compared to 17" stockers. Now I am on the hunt again for another set of Edge 18" wheels to have chromed. I have a quote of $150.00 per rim to chrome with a 2 year warranty. If I can get another set of these rims at the same price I got the last set it would be worth the chroming effort. Here is the Fusion on the new Edge wheels and then a picture of the stock wheels at almost the same angle..

2386505790101139552S425x425Q85.jpg

2262402160101139552S425x425Q85.jpg

Edited by edged out +

• 4 weeks later...