Etched windshield from wiper blade

I have noticed for the second time a etched or scratched mark on my 2008 Limited Edge. The first time the dealership replaced the windshield because if was visually scratched from the wiper blade and it was still the original blade. This time I have noticed another mark on the windshield not quite as deep as the other time. When looking at the wiper blade, it looks like it should not be scratching. The rubber part is clearly in the blade holder with no metal part touching the windshield. I am not sure what to do now, unless I take it to a glass place and see if they can buff it out. Has anyone else had this problem with the factory wiper blades? I am close to changing them to another kind. My warranty is up this December but I doubt that they would replace the windshield a second time.

Help anyone.

Hi Cindy,

Your windshield can most certainly be polished. If you have a local professional detailer in your area, they should have a polish made specifically made for glass. Your detailer will need this particular polish along with glass polishing pad. The difference between an older scratched windshield and a freshly polished one is incredible. :)

Hi Cindy,

Your windshield can most certainly be polished. If you have a local professional detailer in your area, they should have a polish made specifically made for glass. Your detailer will need this particular polish along with glass polishing pad. The difference between an older scratched windshield and a freshly polished one is incredible. :)

Or with the right insurance plan - you call the window replacer people and they pay most of your deductible for a new windshield... then it is new and polished. :)

I am hoping the angle on this windshield is better than the truck's.

Hi Cindy,

Thank you, I think I probably will do this, I certainly don't want a mess by trying this ourselves.

Or with the right insurance plan - you call the window replacer people and they pay most of your deductible for a new windshield... then it is new and polished. :)

I am hoping the angle on this windshield is better than the truck's.

Just curious, you make a comment about the windshields on the trucks. We have two F350 trucks that we seem to have the same thing happening with. We also have an Expedition that does have the same problem, although I have changed out the wiper blades from ford to Bosch, and am wondering if this has made a difference. I think I probably will have the wiper blades changed out on the Edge once the windshield is better. We do have good insurance but I don't think it is bad enough yet to get a replacement, especially since it was changed one time before for a deep scratch. That's why I feel it may be the wiper arms that are doing it.

Thanks, Cindy

Just curious, you make a comment about the windshields on the trucks. We have two F350 trucks that we seem to have the same thing happening with. We also have an Expedition that does have the same problem, although I have changed out the wiper blades from ford to Bosch, and am wondering if this has made a difference. I think I probably will have the wiper blades changed out on the Edge once the windshield is better. We do have good insurance but I don't think it is bad enough yet to get a replacement, especially since it was changed one time before for a deep scratch. That's why I feel it may be the wiper arms that are doing it.

Thanks, Cindy

Oh my problem is rocks.... sanding the icy roads and the rocks get kicked up and chip the windshield. We keep a $100 deductible for the windshield and have it replaced about once a year.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Cindy,

What products do you use for this? Can you order them from detailedimage?

Also, I love using RainX is the a better product that last longer?

What products do you use for this? Can you order them from detailedimage?

Both Diamondite Glass Repair System and DP High Performance Glass Restorer work well. I'm not sure if Detailed Image carries these products though.

Edited by KLC