oil filer over tighten by robot

crzjorge

I was thinking the same thing when I had my dealer change oil and filter on my MKZ (Same engine as MKX/Edge). Tech had no problems removing the filter.

I.E., it was not put on by an 800 pound gorilla.

HOWEVER, tech found that the oil drain plug was only on FINGER TIGHT, and he could remove it without a wrench.

Dealer allows owners to stand and watch, so I stood and talked with tech while he was doing the job. Dealership did not object to having me in shop. Tech went out of his way to make me happy. Not my selling dealer, but of the L-M dealers within 35 miles, I use this one 25 miles away, because all the others will not allow me to watch. Took it to this L-M dealer because my local Ford dealer could not give me the free oil changes Lincoln will give me in the first year. I do take my Continental to my local Ford dealer as he also allows me to watch, although from not as close up.

I was thinking the same thing when I had my dealer change oil and filter on my MKZ (Same engine as MKX/Edge). Tech had no problems removing the filter.

I.E., it was not put on by an 800 pound gorilla.

HOWEVER, tech found that the oil drain plug was only on FINGER TIGHT, and he could remove it without a wrench.

Dealer allows owners to stand and watch, so I stood and talked with tech while he was doing the job. Dealership did not object to having me in shop. Tech went out of his way to make me happy. Not my selling dealer, but of the L-M dealers within 35 miles, I use this one 25 miles away, because all the others will not allow me to watch. Took it to this L-M dealer because my local Ford dealer could not give me the free oil changes Lincoln will give me in the first year. I do take my Continental to my local Ford dealer as he also allows me to watch, although from not as close up.

it was all tight the plug was simple with a wrench and a 15mm but the filter like i said was a major pain to take off very tight.. i have heard (in other forums) some people just jam a screw driver through the filter to get it out the first time.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

:cheerleader: The oil filters are sometimes put on by a 90 lb girl i went to school with,with a electric touque wrench . the 3.5 is assembled in lima ohio where i work. :poke:

make sure you have the right tool to take the oil filter off for the first oil change. that thing was over tightned by the robot that puts it in @ the factory. i had to use a special oil filter wrench that actrually bent in the filter to grasp it.

• 1 month later...

You guys were not kidding. Changed my oil for the first time yesterday. Dang filter was on so tight it almost broke my filter wrench. I crushed the end of the filter in a bit and was worried I wouldn't be able to get it off without jamming a screwdriver through it.

My oil plug was tight, but not too tight. I was also shocked that the oil plug was metric (actually the same size as on my Honda). I thought American made vehicles would be totally SAE :headscratch: