SelectShift Automatic Transmission (SST)

ewmiller

Since the owners manual has little to no information on this topic I'd like to ask some questions if anyone has experience. I'm looking to use this feature for highway driving to increase gas milage even further.

1. Will the SST shift automatically, up and down, basically allowing you to manually adjust gears as you see fit?

2. Can you shift from D to M (SST) during driving?

Edited by ewmiller

1. Yes, with some exceptions. The Select Shift system will not let you do something stupid like overrev the engine or stall it. If your downshift will overrev it will blink and keep you in the current gear. Also if your upshift is too many gears for the speed it will also blink and keep you in the same gear (for example going 5 mph it will only let you shift from 1-2, if you try 3 it will stop you.)

2. Yes you can shift between M and D as you see fit. You have to push the shift lock button to go from D to M. From M to D you just push the knob back to D. The MyFord Display will switch to a tachometer reading with the gear number indicated if you don't already have a tachometer displayed. In this case it will not go back to your previous display when you go to D. If you already have a tachometer in the display it will add the gear number in red to the display.

Edited by jpelt

If you think you can outsmart Ford's engineers and the Edge's computer into getting higher mileage you're dreaming.

If you keep the throttle pressure light and smooth, there's nothing SST can do to improve mileage.

SST is designed for performance driving, not fuel economy.

Edited by Waldo
  • Like 1

I just wanted to add a note, even though it might have been in the previous posts but this might help clarify.

When in D and cruising at say 50 mph, the car will probably be in 6th gear. Now you want to quickly pass a vehicle, so you hit the left paddle (downshift) or the button if you have that, and the left screen goes to TACH, shows M5 for manual fifth gear and you pounce on the gas. If you ease off the gas after passing OR continue at the same new speed the car will automatically go back to 6th gear and the M5 vanishes because you are back in full automatic mode. It is very useful for passing or street light yellows (if you drive like that). If you wish to control the up and down shifts entirely, you must be in M.

1. Yes, with some exceptions. The Select Shift system will not let you do something stupid like overrev the engine or stall it. If your downshift will overrev it will blink and keep you in the current gear. Also if your upshift is too many gears for the speed it will also blink and keep you in the same gear (for example going 5 mph it will only let you shift from 1-2, if you try 3 it will stop you.)

2. Yes you can shift between M and D as you see fit. You have to push the shift lock button to go from D to M. From M to D you just push the knob back to D. The MyFord Display will switch to a tachometer reading with the gear number indicated if you don't already have a tachometer displayed. In this case it will not go back to your previous display when you go to D. If you already have a tachometer in the display it will add the gear number in red to the display.

I could swear that if I don't have a tachometer already displayed then I don't receive any gear indication in Manual mode. Can someone confirm the display is supposed to switch to a tachometer display?

I just bought an 2011 Edge Limited with SST shifting but I don't see any paddles anywhere. I remember seeing them in one of the marketing materials. Do you guys have the +- on the shifter as well as actual paddles on the steering wheel?

hoping for some clarification...

-TK

I just bought an 2011 Edge Limited with SST shifting but I don't see any paddles anywhere. I remember seeing them in one of the marketing materials. Do you guys have the +- on the shifter as well as actual paddles on the steering wheel?

hoping for some clarification...

-TK

The sport has paddles - the limited has the button on the shifter.

I could swear that if I don't have a tachometer already displayed then I don't receive any gear indication in Manual mode. Can someone confirm the display is supposed to switch to a tachometer display?

I know it does because it will switch to the tach screen and show the gear number. When you switch back to Drive however its will not change the display back. I found that a little bit annoying so I know that is what happens.

I know it does because it will switch to the tach screen and show the gear number. When you switch back to Drive however its will not change the display back. I found that a little bit annoying so I know that is what happens.

Jpelt is correct in last post.

Yes the paddle shifters are ONLY on the sport model. The Limited has the shifter version (the sport doesnt have the shifter buttons).

it doesnt matter what screen you have the left display on, when you shift it will go to the tach screen and show Mx where x=gear.

• 9 months later...