The first 70 Days!

Wizard

Ok I admit I have never even considered buying a Ford in the past (I am 52). But because Ford stood on its own two feet while the other car companies were taking tax payers money, I thought that should be rewarded, and took a look. Having driven my Jeep Grand Cherokee Ltd for 8 years and 130,000 miles and loving every minute I was sure I would be buying its replacement from Jeep.

I actually went to the dealer to test drive an Escape and was not all that impressed with the car but the whole touch screen Navigation and Microsoft sync was intriguing. The salesman suggested I test drive an Edge and the rest is history. I have had the car for 70 days now and have not had second thoughts about my purchase; this could easily become the best car I ever bought.

Additional items I had added:

Roof rack including the cross bars

Front mud flaps

Backup camera (this actually took 6 different trips to the dealer to get it working correctly)

Tow package (class b hitch) I pull a small trailer.

Cargo area liner

Items that I had on my jeep and wish I could have.

Memory Seats

Home Link (garage/gate opener)

Automatic windshield wipers

Top three things I like:

The ride and feel of the car

Microsoft sync and Touch screen Navigation with real-time traffic

Power lift gate and push button to lower the back seats

Top three disappointments:

Gas Mileage (I got 15 MPG from my V-8 Jeep, and only get 16 in my V-6 Edge)

No Memory seats

No home link

Only 16 mpg...you do a lot of stop and go driving (and stop and go fast driving)? I was averaging 16.5 for a while and then decided to 'ease up' off the gas pedal some. It improved to close to 18.5 and I'm mostly around town for my daily commute. It's some stop and go with a few 45+ mph stretches (26 miles one way) and the occasional 0 to the speed limit+ as quick as it will go.

I basically drive 20 miles a day now to and from work. It is about 50-50 city and hwy miles. I have been doing the same for the past 3 years in my jeep. I have not changed the way I drive the only change was the car; I was expecting 18-19 MPG after down grading from a V-8. I am not a fast driver, have not had a speeding ticket in 20 years, and my wife says I drive like an old man :shift:

I basically drive 20 miles a day now to and from work. It is about 50-50 city and hwy miles. I have been doing the same for the past 3 years in my jeep. I have not changed the way I drive the only change was the car; I was expecting 18-19 MPG after down grading from a V-8. I am not a fast driver, have not had a speeding ticket in 20 years, and my wife says I drive like an old man :shift:

Just picked up a 10 Limited on Friday and getting in town 21, and my wife says the same thing, it is like driving Ms. Daisy... LOL..

What I would like to see (Standard)

- How to get the outside temp displayed

- NAV is connected to the phone Address book

- Memory tied to the steering column (like in other cars)

- More "Monitoring" like tire pressure, not some dummy light (this is key for better gas mileage...)

- Rear Camera

- Can play MP3 (currently does) but other formats as well, just like others can, MA4 WAV, etc....

- Change the Voice for NAV

Just my thoughts over the weekend...

I've had my 2011 Edge for 3 weeks now. I love it. one exception is the clock, it keeps changing on me. Does anyone know how to change the time zone? Where I live we just recently went from one time zone to another. I know when we first picked up the edge we had to pick the time zone, but now I can't seam to find where I can change it.

Moving from my 2008 Limited to my 2011 Sport there seem to lots of things to cheer about.

Here's a few of my favorite improvements

1. Firmer and more controlled ride. I thought the 2008 was a great ride...until I spent time driving the 2011. Whatever they improved, they did a great job. Riding on 22's I expected a harsh crashing ride, so pleasantly surprised... thrilled even.

2. Transmission. Unlike the ride in my 2008, the trans was never a high point with me. The 2008 felt disjointed, shifts weren't smooth, and often times the trans would hunt for a second and then slam into gear (very unsettling). This new 6 speed trans is smooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooth! I love it.

3. Power. 305 Horsepower feels great. When you combine it with the taller gearing of the Sport it works well. Hey, listen, we all know the Sport isnt a Sports car but its no slouch with get up and go anymore. Again, I thought my 2008 felt good, the 2011 just feels great. The fact that im already averaging 18.3MPG at 400 miles is nice too.

4. New dash, door interiors. finally a clean design language from Ford. The textures and finishes in my 08 Limited were all over the map. Smooth, rough, pebbled, stainless steel, rubber, leather.... Geez I hoped someone would get fired for that lousy combination, looks like someone did and who ever stepped into their place did a nice job.

5. Quieter. I came from a 2005 Escape, went into a 2008 limited and thought it was as quiet as a Lexus. Then after a year and half I coated the doors and floors with quietcar viscoelastic spray. WOW I thought that was quiet! 2011? Yea even quieter.

6. New exterior design. My 2008 was different and cool. Made me think of that movie TRON. Something kinda spacey. most used phrase when people see my new Edge? BADASS! I like Badass a lot more than spacey.

Here's to hoping that the MyTouch will begin working as well as SYNC did in my 2008. Its off to a rough start, but I understand the bugs need to be worked out. I like the interface so far, and the only problem im experiencing is not being able to get my bluetooth audio streaming Pandora. I have 6 months of free Sirius radio to pacify me so im not to bad off, after that I hope they have this problem figured out.