Updating Sync with USB flash dive...

bigalx58

I haven't updated my Sync as yet...I have a few questions about it. Is it really necessary? Can I use a USB flash drive that has other data already on it and still be able to update Sync without erasing previously loaded data? How much memory do the updates use? Any other comments/tips would be appreciated. Thanks.

I haven't updated my Sync as yet...I have a few questions about it. Is it really necessary? Can I use a USB flash drive that has other data already on it and still be able to update Sync without erasing previously loaded data? How much memory do the updates use? Any other comments/tips would be appreciated. Thanks.

The data that goes onto the USB from PC to vehicle and then back again appears pretty small as far as USBs go, I think they are normally about 6MB downloading to PC and then less than 100k (maybe far less, I don't remember exactly) to upload the confirmation files.

The only issue I've ever had was getting my USB drive to work the first time, which required me to reformat it to FAT32 and try again and then all went well.

I don't believe there will be any issues having existing files on the drive but always have those USB files backed up just in case.

I am going to get a cheap small one that I will use exclusively for the updates.

• 2 weeks later...

I just tried to install the app that finds out which SYNC version I have and I couldn't open the folder that has that app in it. I have other folders on the same usb stick. I'm assuming that I should remove the other folders from the usb stick in order for the SYNC app to be downloaded into my radio. Any suggestions? Thanks.

I just tried to install the app that finds out which SYNC version I have and I couldn't open the folder that has that app in it. I have other folders on the same usb stick. I'm assuming that I should remove the other folders from the usb stick in order for the SYNC app to be downloaded into my radio. Any suggestions? Thanks.

You can't put other stuff on the Sync usb stick. It needs to be clean.

OK...I used a clean USB stick and the installation seemed to have gone smoothly. I got a "congratulations' after I reported back my successful installation. Should I now see on my account page that I have SYNC v3.1? I still have v3.01 showing. According to what I've read, I should have to 'pair' my cell again after doing an update...but my cell still works like it did before the update. Is this normal or is there something wrong? I didn't do the 'Traffic, Direction etc' update.

Ooops!!! I was premature !! It seems that you have to wait quite a while before all of the info gets registered...I did my updating yesterday and the changes were not noted at that time, but this morning I did find that my cell didn't work so I had to 'pair ' it again and my SYNC version is now 3.1 ! All's well. Thanks.

Edited by bigalx58