Winter's coming, how to scrape ice off windshield without scratching the glass?

I'm turning in a Volvo XC70 once on '11 Limited arrives, but want to keep from scratching the glass when scraping off ice. I managed not to scratch the Volvo's windows, but other cars, saw the micro scratches in the glass.

How can we prevent the scratching? Anyway to polish out the fine scratches in the Spring? I've used the Prestone Anti-Ice to melt ice, but looking for alternatives. Plastic scrapers seem to have burrs on the blade's edge and I've filed down the burrs, but looking for some advice.

Thanks

I'm turning in a Volvo XC70 once on '11 Limited arrives, but want to keep from scratching the glass when scraping off ice. I managed not to scratch the Volvo's windows, but other cars, saw the micro scratches in the glass.

How can we prevent the scratching? Anyway to polish out the fine scratches in the Spring? I've used the Prestone Anti-Ice to melt ice, but looking for alternatives. Plastic scrapers seem to have burrs on the blade's edge and I've filed down the burrs, but looking for some advice.

Thanks

Move to a warmer climate ---- :shades:

Nope, found plastic scrapers with burrs on their blades. I had a metal edged one which worked great, it broke.

Ordered an Edge Limited with remote which will definitely help. However, when thick ice covers the windshield................... Also, used RainX for years, but never noticed the ice came off any easier. I use De-Icers which help some. Movng to warmer climates; I'm not a hot weather fan!

Nope, found plastic scrapers with burrs on their blades. I had a metal edged one which worked great, it broke.

Ordered an Edge Limited with remote which will definitely help. However, when thick ice covers the windshield................... Also, used RainX for years, but never noticed the ice came off any easier. I use De-Icers which help some. Movng to warmer climates; I'm not a hot weather fan!

We have issues with rock dings in our windshields in Alaska - so just keep your deductible low for that and get a new one every couple of years then it doesn't matter if you scratch it.

I have never noticed that my windshields are that scratched...

• 2 weeks later...

We have issues with rock dings in our windshields in Alaska - so just keep your deductible low for that and get a new one every couple of years then it doesn't matter if you scratch it.

I have never noticed that my windshields are that scratched...

Choff tell me about the rock dings...spent time driving Alaska this past summer...4 dings. Of course I drove the Top of the World Hwy Yukon to AK and then up toward Prudoe Bay (not all the way) so what can one expect lol.

Choff tell me about the rock dings...spent time driving Alaska this past summer...4 dings. Of course I drove the Top of the World Hwy Yukon to AK and then up toward Prudoe Bay (not all the way) so what can one expect lol.

Wow - I would be impressed if you didn't need a whole new windshield at the end of that drive! We did the Alcan almost 9 years ago and that windshield looked like it have been shot with and an fully automatic be be gun. promptly replaced. so ice scraper scratches are nothing.

Were you here for a vacation? or do you live here?

Wow - I would be impressed if you didn't need a whole new windshield at the end of that drive! We did the Alcan almost 9 years ago and that windshield looked like it have been shot with and an fully automatic be be gun. promptly replaced. so ice scraper scratches are nothing.

Were you here for a vacation? or do you live here?

As far away from AK as I can get lol. We are in Newfoundland. We were on a long long vacation. New Mexico, Arizona, Nevada, Wyoming, Utah, Montana, Calgary, Yukon and AK. Put approx 30,000 km on the van. I have ordered the j2011 Edge Ltd. Really enjoyed AK, it is like Newfoundland in a lot of ways.

As far away from AK as I can get lol. We are in Newfoundland. We were on a long long vacation. New Mexico, Arizona, Nevada, Wyoming, Utah, Montana, Calgary, Yukon and AK. Put approx 30,000 km on the van. I have ordered the j2011 Edge Ltd. Really enjoyed AK, it is like Newfoundland in a lot of ways.

Sounds like an awesome trip.