Ipod and charging via usb

NewEdgeForMe

I leave my ipod touch plugged into the usb port in my edge all the time. Problem is the battery drains down to nothing, so when I take the ipod out to go to the gym, I have no battery power.

Am I doing something wrong? I thought that the usb would charge my ipod. Does that feature only work when the engine is running? Not sure what is causing the battery to drain...perhaps someone could enlighten me?

I leave my ipod touch plugged into the usb port in my edge all the time. Problem is the battery drains down to nothing, so when I take the ipod out to go to the gym, I have no battery power.

Am I doing something wrong? I thought that the usb would charge my ipod. Does that feature only work when the engine is running? Not sure what is causing the battery to drain...perhaps someone could enlighten me?

The usb ports are not powered unless the radio is on. I could be wrong but I don't believe the usb ports on computers are powered when the computer is turned off so this is no different. You could always put your music on a usb stick instead of the ipod.

I haven't given this any thought before. I plugged my old iPod gen 5 into the USB port of my new 2011 Edge and haven't looked at it since. It's always worked.

I just went out and took a look at it. It's fully charged. When I start the car the iPod starts charging. the iPod continues to charge even when the radio is off.

This is an old iPod gen 5 so not sure how the touch would act.

The usb ports are not powered unless the radio is on. I could be wrong but I don't believe the usb ports on computers are powered when the computer is turned off so this is no different. You could always put your music on a usb stick instead of the ipod.

You are correct about the PC's USB ports but wrong about the 2011 Edge's ports.

Careful. I think the 2011 Edge has a few features that were not available in years past.

You are correct about the PC's USB ports but wrong about the 2011 Edge's ports.

Careful. I think the 2011 Edge has a few features that were not available in years past.

Actually most current higher-end notebooks have at least one always-on USB port.

I've assumed the USB ports in my MKX are always powered as well since my iPod nano is always fully charged.

Edited by Ctrl-z