Question - AWD

mskin

My wife and I are considering a 2007 Ford Edge AWD SEL. We test drove it tonight. My wife drove for 3-5 miles with no issues. When back in rainy parking lot, we noticed a noise/feel from the rear tire area. Sounded almost like something shifting, or a "thud", not a terribly loud noise, but noticable none-the-less.

Anyways, we re-created the sound for the dealer (Ford dealership) and he took it for a ride and then told us that feeling or noise was the AWD kicking in when the wheels were "slipping". We weren't going very fast when we noticed the shift/noise.

Can anyone please let me know if this explanation is accurate, and if it is an issue, or is it just normal? Obviously we do not want to be buying a faulty vehicle, but we also don't want to be over-reacting. We plan on calling around to some other dealers tomorrow and asking if this phenomenon is common with the AWD. It has 30k miles on. Thanks for any help in advance!

My wife and I are considering a 2007 Ford Edge AWD SEL. We test drove it tonight. My wife drove for 3-5 miles with no issues. When back in rainy parking lot, we noticed a noise/feel from the rear tire area. Sounded almost like something shifting, or a "thud", not a terribly loud noise, but noticeable none-the-less.

Anyways, we re-created the sound for the dealer (Ford dealership) and he took it for a ride and then told us that feeling or noise was the AWD kicking in when the wheels were "slipping". We weren't going very fast when we noticed the shift/noise.

Can anyone please let me know if this explanation is accurate, and if it is an issue, or is it just normal? Obviously we do not want to be buying a faulty vehicle, but we also don't want to be over-reacting. We plan on calling around to some other dealers tomorrow and asking if this phenomenon is common with the AWD. It has 30k miles on. Thanks for any help in advance!

Hi, we have 09 AWD and I never notice any noise to engage the AWD system. I even drove on the ice to test the AWD system. Be careful before you buy ..

• 3 weeks later...