REPLACEMENT TIRES

sanche

Hello again fans,

It's time for new tires. Should I stick w/ the current mich... Latitude HP's?

I am concidering the regular Latitudes b/c tire rack says they last longer and are a little better on the snow. They cost less too.

I have an '08 ltd w/ AWD, 18" ers, w/ 40000 miles. Live in North East USA.

Any other tire brands to concider?

Looking forward to Forum advice, Thank you.

I just replaced mine and went with the regular Latitudes. In my opinion, they are a better tire than the HP's. They ride much smoother and are quieter. Plus I was able to get a set for $552.

Thanks for the reply.

I read somewhere that the regular Lats are made of a harder rubber compound and might reduce handling and braking performance.

What kind of driving do you do, agressive, sporting, passive? Did you feel a difference in those areas? How are they in the rain?

I already "pulled the trigger" and ordered the HP's from Tire Rack, but if they feel the same, maybe I will change my order.

Thanks again.

I do a mix of driving and have found them to provide a better overall ride. The only thing you gain with the HP is the higher speed rating, which is meaningless with an Edge. The big plus with the regular Latitudes is that they will last longer. I have not seen any change with the handling or braking. And, they handle just the same as the HP's in the rain.

I do a mix of driving and have found them to provide a better overall ride. The only thing you gain with the HP is the higher speed rating, which is meaningless with an Edge. The big plus with the regular Latitudes is that they will last longer. I have not seen any change with the handling or braking. And, they handle just the same as the HP's in the rain.

KLC,

I'm sold.

I just called Tire rack to switch my order to the plain Lats.

The plain lats are a little better on the snow, have a higher treadwear rating (as you implied), and they are less expensive too. I could live w/ slightly less performance, if there is any.

The icing on the cake is that they offered a $70 rebate on top of it all.

Many Thanks :yup:

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone else try Goodyear Assurance CS Fuel Max (new tire) in 245/60 18. Our Mich Latt Tour HP's were at 1/32 by 33,000mi and all area replacements were @1k$+. Also the load was 105t and the OE were 104h. The installer (bought tires elsewhere from local distributor) cried foul that it would be "unstable" with the lower t rating. I questioned the 17" OE being 103t but to no avail. I've been with this shop for a while and they are the best in the area, maybe liability conscious or something of the sort. Just curious. The CS's are quite smooth and were good in the recent snow outside of Buffalo this week. Time will tell how they wear or affect mileage. I'll re-post after more time with them.

Edited by bward77

Anyone else try Goodyear Assurance CS Fuel Max (new tire) in 245/60 18. Our Mich Latt Tour HP's were at 1/32 by 33,000mi and all area replacements were @1k$+. Also the load was 105t and the OE were 104h. The installer (bought tires elsewhere from local distributor) cried foul that it would be "unstable" with the lower t rating. I questioned the 17" OE being 103t but to no avail. I've been with this shop for a while and they are the best in the area, maybe liability conscious or something of the sort. Just curious. The CS's are quite smooth and were good in the recent snow outside of Buffalo this week. Time will tell how they wear or affect mileage. I'll re-post after more time with them.

Last winter I picked up a set of 17" General Grabber HTS's. Since then, they have had about 13,000 miles put on them. The wearing isn' t noticible. These tires have a lot of tread on them. They hold the road great, dig in great in snow, and claim that the rolling resistance is lower increasing gas mileage. I haven't seen any mileage improvements, but will say that these all seasons grip in the snow like all-terrains. Save some money and get these tires. Forget Michelin...

• 8 months later...

We have almost 8k and there is little wear. They fared well in the winter and are only slightly louder than new OEM. The MPG picked up @1. From 18.4 to 19.7.

• 2 months later...

I already have these in the 235/65/17 size (H Rated) and can honestly tell you they aren't a bad tire but are definitely more of a touring type of tire. These tires do protest when pushed but are quite civil under normal driving. I did see some improved fuel economy over the stock Hankooks. My next tires are going to be Pirelli Scorpion Verde (V Rated).

• 1 month later...

I bought the Michelin LTX at Costco installed for about $1000 for the 18's. After the original tires wore out at 35,000 miles I didn't want any more of those "performance" tires. The Michelins from Costco came with a 60,000 mile wearout warranty which other venders didn't offer, and got filled balanced and with nitrogen a bonus.They perform just fine although the load rating is not the same at the originals. I'm not worried about that since the local Ford dealer also recommended them - but at a $250 premium over Costco. These LTX Michelins are more agressive and are a good all round tire IMO. I don't need the so called performance tires as we pretty much stick to the speed limit (well maybe 10mph over) and don't carry heavy loads that would require the Latitude specs. I think the term 'performance tire' should also include good mileage not just because it is stickier in the summer and wears out too fast. The is an SUV - not a Mustang GT afterall.