MFT NOT WORKING

Onedge11

JUST GOT BACK FROM DEALERSHIP. MY CAR AS OF TODAY HAS BEEN IN THE SERVICE DEPT. FOR 2 WEEKS. THEY TOLD ME THAT FORD HAS PUT ME ON A HIGH PRIORITY LIST AND THAT THEY ARE WAITING FOR A NEW 8 INCH MAIN SCREEN TO COME IN ANY DAY NOW. WHEN I ASKED IF THIS WAS GOING TO BE THE ANSWER TO THE PROBLEM THEY SAID THEY HOPE SO BUT CAN NOT PROMISE ANYTHING. I WAS TOLD THAT IT IS A NEW PART # SO IT LOOKS GOOD. KEEP YOU POSTED ON PROGRESS.

OKAY! SORRY TO HEAR ABOUT YOUR.... wait a minute...why am I yelling? Damn, your post got me so wound up with your capital letters I lost it

Anyway, that does suck. Try to get something free from this headache. Free service for a year or three. Free wheel locks (you can have mine, I didn't get em) and keep us posted. Best of luck.

JUST GOT BACK FROM DEALERSHIP. MY CAR AS OF TODAY HAS BEEN IN THE SERVICE DEPT. FOR 2 WEEKS. THEY TOLD ME THAT FORD HAS PUT ME ON A HIGH PRIORITY LIST AND THAT THEY ARE WAITING FOR A NEW 8 INCH MAIN SCREEN TO COME IN ANY DAY NOW. WHEN I ASKED IF THIS WAS GOING TO BE THE ANSWER TO THE PROBLEM THEY SAID THEY HOPE SO BUT CAN NOT PROMISE ANYTHING. I WAS TOLD THAT IT IS A NEW PART # SO IT LOOKS GOOD. KEEP YOU POSTED ON PROGRESS.

Got home from work last night and got a call from the dealership regarding my car. They said it should be fixed by Wednesday. I asked what was being done and the reply was I am getting a new 8 inch main screen with a 1 tb chip which is supposed to beable to handle everything the car has to offer. they said it would be about a 4 hour procedure :doh:. They are supposed to call me today when it is ready if everything goes well. I will keep everyone posted on progress.

Got home from work last night and got a call from the dealership regarding my car. They said it should be fixed by Wednesday. I asked what was being done and the reply was I am getting a new 8 inch main screen with a 1 tb chip which is supposed to beable to handle everything the car has to offer. they said it would be about a 4 hour procedure :doh:. They are supposed to call me today when it is ready if everything goes well. I will keep everyone posted on progress.

Did you say a 1 Terra Byte chip????

I think he misunderstood or typed the wrong information. If you look at the original myFord Touch Specs below, you will see there are only 2 items that would benefit from a "boosting" up to 1 something.

Freescale i.MX51 SOC

ARM Cortex A8 @ 600mhz

2D/3D graphics controller

512MB RAM

2GB NAND Flash Memory

Specs found here (http://media.ford.com/images/10031/MyFordTouch_July10.pdf)

From reviewing information of the site about the Freescale i.MX51X line (http://www.freescale.com/webapp/sps/site/taxonomy.jsp?code=IMX51_FAMILY), they have units in this family line that have the capability to go up to 800mhz on the CPU side for consumers but it is downgraded to 600mhz on the automotive side, which leads me to believe this is our unit (http://www.freescale.com/webapp/sps/site/prod_summary.jsp?code=i.MX516&webpageId=123596270972270609633B&nodeId=0162468rH31143ZrDR633B&fromPage=tax).

Nothing is ever mentioned about RAM, of course the 1 number could be a RAM upgrade but I doubt that as 512MB is more than adequate considering most smartphones run extremely well with that amount while performing similar tasks. I do know that the ARM Cortex A8 has the ability to clock up to 1ghz, but it doesn't appear they sell any that clock that high on the i.MX51X line

So that would leave me to believe, based on the wording of "chip" in the original post, along with the above information that this is a processor upgrade from 600 to 1ghz. So if they don't have that capability in the i.MX51X line, and they are adding new units, they would need some that ran at 1ghz right? Which would mean a different family.

The new i.MX53X line is stated as "Currently sampling to high volume Automotive customers. Available through distribution early 2011." This line says it goes up to 1ghz, so that fits the bill but it says the automotive is downclocked to 800mhz, so that doesnt fit the bill.

So confusing... maybe someone with more hardware expierence can "chip" in, I'm more software.

Oh and by the way, the current Freescale i.MX51 SOC line does have a few Linux development folks poking at it, so I bet this thing could be hacked but that's beyond my skills and so far it doesn't appear there is critical mass.

Hard to say. I mean it is significantly WAY more cost effective to pay a bunch of programmers $$$ to optimize the ish out of the software versus recall. The system in place should be able to handle the tasks it has been given with aplomb, but clearly the software sucks HARDCORE, and we should remember that it was Ford that designed it and not M$. If it were M$ that designed the software, they'd tell Ford they need better hardware and talk to you later. Because the ecosystem is all Ford here (software and they purchased the hardware) they are more like Apple... only minus the ability to squeeze every ounce out of hardware through optimized code.

There are several possibilities for an outcome, and both sides have had evidence alluding to them.

1) New software thats optimized for the mediocre system

2) New hardware that just has the power to handle junk.

3) New software and new hardware for all.

4) New software for some, hardware for others.

Number 1 seems plausible because folks are reporting software upgrades, but it seems to address bugs more so than optimizations. Number 2 is plausible because of this thread and others getting new units, although we have yet to hear if they are faster, and it should be noticeable. Number 3 would be best for us, but costly and worse case for Ford. Number 4 is how it is right now, and would be the worst solution from a servicing/ software support standpoint.

Who knows?!?!?

Wilson... I have come up with a new term inadvertently while typing too fast. Instead of Ford, I keep typing Frod, which reads like fraud. I'm really not that pissed (mine unit has been "ok") but I thought you'd appreciate that. :)

Let me start this rumor now....

Ford will soon announce an across the board recall to have our systems upgraded to the new 1 ghz model.

This will help to speed up the stupid Flash animations on the menus. Whoo Hoo.

We'll have the same POS software, just running faster.

rockon.gif

Yes I have, and its certainly the worst piece of Apple software, most would agree.

As far as the software, yes I have seen worse, but you cannot tell me that there are not issues with it. To be honest, mine has been ok but holy crud, is it SLLLOOOOWWWW. And knowing the specs, it shouldn't be slow had this been properly coded and tested bt we already know it was rushed out the door.

The software isn't that bad. I've seen far far worse. Ever use ITunes on a slower machine?

If they would just set the thing up to do its "Maintenance Cycle" every time you turned it off, it would already fix 98% of the issues people have. Then they could focus on optimization.

I was wondring how big of a problem this could be as there are not major problems with all of the MFT out there ( I have an 11 Edge with very few problems and they are all just minor inconveniences) Also, how many people are getting MFT.

From the November sales report, I think there were about 12,000 Edges sold. Assume same for October and assume all sold in Oct and Nov were 11's and not 10's. (this gives highest possible number) Article also stated that about 80% of buyers are getting MFT. So there are ABOUT 19,000-20,000 Edges out there with MFT.