Cruise Control quit

pops52

I have a 2010 Edge and am on my longest road trip ever. My cruise control has just decided to quit. The manual does not list a fuse dedicated to the cruise control in either the kick panel or the under hood location. It simply will not turn on (showing the green speedometer icon on the dash.)

Would anyone have a suggestion to trouble shooting this?

I have a 2010 Edge and am on my longest road trip ever. My cruise control has just decided to quit. The manual does not list a fuse dedicated to the cruise control in either the kick panel or the under hood location. It simply will not turn on (showing the green speedometer icon on the dash.)

Hi pops. :D While some people sometimes seem to not like this recommendation, here is what I advise: The cruise control system is not generally an owner serviceable item. Therefore, since you have a 2010 model and assuming it is still within the 3 year/36,000 mile Bumper to Bumper Warranty (and even if it is not), you need to take it in for proper diagnosis and service. I know this is not much help while you are on a long road trip, but there is not much that can be done otherwise. Is there a chance you can take time out during the road trip to stop at a nearby Ford Dealership for service?

In my opinion, there is no sense trying to troubleshoot it yourself. For example, even if a fuse was blown, replacing the fuse does not address the underlying problem that caused the fuse to blow in the first place and it will usually just blow again.. This issue needs proper diagnosis and repair.

Well, for what it is worth that is one mans opinion.

Whatever you decide to do, good luck. :beerchug:

Edited by bbf2530

The cruise control isn't a separate device anymore. it's just a bunch of code in the engine computer, thus there is no fuse. But it still requires inputs from the switches, my first guess would be to check the brake pedal switch. If it's been bumped out of alignment then the computer will think the brakes are on and not allow the cruise. Could also mean the brake lights are on all the time. Another possibility is the steering wheel switches. Do the other switches (radio, horn) still work?

There's not much else you're going to be able to do without a diagnostic tool. Disconnecting the battery for a couple minutes will reset the PCM and might help if it's some kind of software bug.