Scorpion Tires in the Snow

spridell

Has anyone tried the 22" Scorpion Tires in the snow yet?

I have heard mixed review about these tires. Some say they are not good at all in the snow.

Yea, I've had it out a few times in the snow. They have fairly good traction when moving forward and I didn't see much wheel spin in areas where others couldn't make it up the hill. I did notice a lot of ABS kicking in when stopping though, they would slide quite a bit. I've had much worse, but I'm putting snows on next week! I often travel through Southern Ontario's "snow belt", so there is no substitution for real show tires, all seasons don't come close, I don't care what tire you have!

Yea, I've had it out a few times in the snow. They have fairly good traction when moving forward and I didn't see much wheel spin in areas where others couldn't make it up the hill. I did notice a lot of ABS kicking in when stopping though, they would slide quite a bit. I've had much worse, but I'm putting snows on next week! I often travel through Southern Ontario's "snow belt", so there is no substitution for real show tires, all seasons don't come close, I don't care what tire you have!

Thanks for the response.

That is what I have read that braking with them is not that great. My cousin had them on his Range Rover and stopping in the snow was not that great.

I am on Long Island, NY. Not as much snow as you guys up there but last year we had tons more then usual.

Are you keeping the rims or getting a whole new setup for the snow tires?

Thanks for the response.

That is what I have read that braking with them is not that great. My cousin had them on his Range Rover and stopping in the snow was not that great.

I am on Long Island, NY. Not as much snow as you guys up there but last year we had tons more then usual.

Are you keeping the rims or getting a whole new setup for the snow tires?

I picked up a full winter package from Tirerack, 18's and Blizzaks. Very similar to many users here as you can see from whiteis33's response. Not on yet, I just had them delivered last night.

Mind posting some pics once you get them on? The Edge is my wifes and they happen to fit the wheels off my car (96' Mits 3KGT). I have dedicated snow tires on my car so just for kicks threw one of my summer wheels (18") on the Edge. Tirerack recommends 17" or 18" but the gap is big enough in the well that I'm considering stepping up to 20" as we don't get a massive amount of snow in the Seattle area, just a bit of ice for a couple of weeks (combined with poor service by the WADOT).

Thanks

The tires actually work real good on snow and ice. The AWD and the 22's are a great combination. I live in an area that is constantly snowing and chinooking all in the same week. We get a snow and ice mixture constantly here. My wife uses this vehicle daily and she is more than happy to drive this opposed to my 09 chevy silveardo 4X4 in the winter.

• 1 month later...

After getting caught driving home in a heavy snow last night 1-21-11 I am not impressed with the 20" all weather Scoripins on my 2010 MKX AWD. My wife was driving in a 2010 Infiniti G37X AWD and had half the stopping distance. After trading in my 2007 EDGE AWD I am not sure if I should get a better all season tire or go for some winter tires. Make no mistake! These wlll NOT stop you and are also terrible in turns compaired to my EDGE with all weather Conti tracks.