Dealer installed DVD - your experience

Just ordered my 2011 Ford Edge last week for February delivery, primarily to align with my existing car lease expiry, though I would have probably had to wait close to that long anyway. Quick question: What has been your experience with the dealer installed DVD-in-headrests? Positive? Negative? Specifics? Wondering what the audio quality is like (wireless headphones), their brand name, and how easily they might be to have stolen if, say, doors are accidently left unlocked?

Thanks in advance.

They no longer put them in at the factory although it was still listed as an option when I ordered mine in September. The dealer is putting it in. Mine was supposed to be done last Friday in fact, but the job took longer than the sales manager thought (6 hours) and I could not leave it that long and no loaner had been arranged. It's getting installed Wednesday and I have a loaner for the day. I'll take some shots and post them if you're interested. Let me know.

They no longer put them in at the factory although it was still listed as an option when I ordered mine in September. The dealer is putting it in. Mine was supposed to be done last Friday in fact, but the job took longer than the sales manager thought (6 hours) and I could not leave it that long and no loaner had been arranged. It's getting installed Wednesday and I have a loaner for the day. I'll take some shots and post them if you're interested. Let me know.

Thanks Baum and richy.

richy, if you don't mind, please post pics when you get the opportunity and include any early observations, like picture and sound quality. I've been told, rightly or wrongly, that both headrest units have the capability to work off different or the same DVD, on demand though I'm not sure how that can happen. I also wonder how the wireless sound quality is since they depend on an FM transmitter and there are virtually no idle FM frequencies in this part of Ontario (Burlington), which was frustrating (static) when I tried using a similar, but wired technology for the iPod. I believe they come with two wireless headphones and hope there's an available jack for an additional wired set for those occasions I am carrying a third rear passenger and have the sets on (the sales guys did not know and there were no cars on hand with the DVD installed to observe).

If you could also confirm the brand. In checking my brochure after reading Baum's reply (I swear, the brand wasn't listed in the brochure In my million or so previous reads, but it is there this evening): it is Invision. That company's website, in a subsequent check, lists two product series: Revolution and SL.

Finally, I would be interested in your opinion on the security of the headrest units in an inadvertently unlocked car since certain members of my family suffer all too frequently from this unfortunate habit despite my constant pleas to the contrary. :(

Again, many, many Thanks.

Edited by Hockey87

Thanks Baum and richy.

richy, if you don't mind, please post pics when you get the opportunity and include any early observations, like picture and sound quality. I've been told, rightly or wrongly, that both headrest units have the capability to work off different or the same DVD, on demand though I'm not sure how that can happen. I also wonder how the wireless sound quality is since they depend on an FM transmitter and there are virtually no idle FM frequencies in this part of Ontario (Burlington), which was frustrating (static) when I tried using a similar, but wired technology for the iPod. I believe they come with two wireless headphones and hope there's an available jack for an additional wired set for those occasions I am carrying a third rear passenger and have the sets on (the sales guys did not know and there were no cars on hand with the DVD installed to observe).

If you could also confirm the brand. In checking my brochure after reading Baum's reply (I swear, the brand wasn't listed in the brochure In my million or so previous reads, but it is there this evening): it is Invision. That company's website, in a subsequent check, lists two product series: Revolution and SL.

Finally, I would be interested in your opinion on the security of the headrest units in an inadvertently unlocked car since certain members of my family suffer all too frequently from this unfortunate habit despite my constant pleas to the contrary. :(

It'll be my pleasure to help you out in that regard. As far as leaving the car unlocked goes, I know the MKX has an autolock feature that locks the doors when the car has been turned off after a few minutes. The doors were always locked in my garage when I went to it and it was pissing me off so I read the manual for that and learned of that feature. Go into the menu on the left of the speedo to the autolock feature (different from autounlock) and set it to on. That way when you leave it, it should lock itself after a predetermined period of time. Hope that helps.

Rich

Edited by richy

It'll be my pleasure to help you out in that regard. As far as leaving the car unlocked goes, I know the MKX has an autolock feature that locks the doors when the car has been turned off after a few minutes. The doors were always locked in my garage when I went to it and it was pissing me off so I read the manual for that and learned of that feature. Go into the menu on the left of the speedo to the autolock feature (different from autounlock) and set it to on. That way when you leave it, it should lock itself after a predetermined period of time. Hope that helps.

Rich

Thanks Rich. I did notice in the brochure that there is a reference to an "Auto Lock" feature, which the sales guy I concluded the transaction earlier this month concurred with your statement above. Just that I had read elsewhere in this forum that "Auto Lock" was a different feature and that it doesn't auto lock when the car is off, but when the car is running and hits a certain speed, e.g. 12 MPH.

I am hoping it is what you and the sales guy state (my initial response too, which is what my Volkswagen does) given the family habit.

Thanks Rich. I did notice in the brochure that there is a reference to an "Auto Lock" feature, which the sales guy I concluded the transaction earlier this month concurred with your statement above. Just that I had read elsewhere in this forum that "Auto Lock" was a different feature and that it doesn't auto lock when the car is off, but when the car is running and hits a certain speed, e.g. 12 MPH.

I am hoping it is what you and the sales guy state (my initial response too, which is what my Volkswagen does) given the family habit.

It does both, while it's driving and when it's shut off. I had originally kept it on b/c I liked it doing it while it was driving, but having it lock when I parked the car in my garage made me nuts.

According to the online manual 2nd printing it only works when the vehicle is moving, just like it has always done on previous models and like Hockey87 states.

Where in the manual did you see a reference to it locking the doors after the vehicle is turned off?

Autolock feature (if enabled)

The autolock feature will lock all the doors when:

• all the doors are closed,

• the ignition is on,

• you shift into any gear putting the vehicle in motion, and

• the vehicle attains a speed greater than 12 mph (20 km/h).

The autolock feature repeats when:

• any door is opened then closed while the ignition is on and the vehicle

speed is 9 mph (15 km/h) or lower, and

• the vehicle then attains a speed greater than 12 mph (20 km/h).

According to the online manual 2nd printing it only works when the vehicle is moving, just like it has always done on previous models and like Hockey87 states.

Where in the manual did you see a reference to it locking the doors after the vehicle is turned off?

akirby, I was sharing my experience. Have you played with it yourself? shut off the ignition, leave it unlocked and return to it a few minutes later. If autolock feature is on, the doors should be locked. That was my experience several times. I disabled the feature and it ceased locking the doors. Maybe the first line is an exclusive: ie, if the doors are closed period whereas the other factors need to be co-existent, like being in drive and going a minimum speed. I'm not saying I can't be wrong, but it happened enough times I went hunting for the answer. Please do share your experience. I had read the manual several times in the 8 weeks waiting for my MKX to be built.

akirby, I was sharing my experience. Have you played with it yourself? shut off the ignition, leave it unlocked and return to it a few minutes later. If autolock feature is on, the doors should be locked. That was my experience several times. I disabled the feature and it ceased locking the doors. Maybe the first line is an exclusive: ie, if the doors are closed period whereas the other factors need to be co-existent, like being in drive and going a minimum speed. I'm not saying I can't be wrong, but it happened enough times I went hunting for the answer. Please do share your experience. I had read the manual several times in the 8 weeks waiting for my MKX to be built.

Do you have the Intelligent Access feature with push button start?

It's certainly possible it works that way and isn't documented in the manual, but I could see complaints from someone who left their keys in the car unlocked (but not in the ignition) and came back to find them locked. Of course the keypad would still work.

And I can't test it - mine is a 2008.

Do you have the Intelligent Access feature with push button start?

It's certainly possible it works that way and isn't documented in the manual, but I could see complaints from someone who left their keys in the car unlocked (but not in the ignition) and came back to find them locked. Of course the keypad would still work.

And I can't test it - mine is a 2008.

Yes, I do. I know it won't let you lock the Intelligent key in the car after you've shut it off. And, yes, the outside keypad would certainly help there. If I run into somewhere for a moment and want to keep it running, I close the door and either touch the outside button or the last 2 keypad buttons simultaneously to lock it.

Just ordered my 2011 Ford Edge last week for February delivery, primarily to align with my existing car lease expiry, though I would have probably had to wait close to that long anyway. Quick question: What has been your experience with the dealer installed DVD-in-headrests? Positive? Negative? Specifics? Wondering what the audio quality is like (wireless headphones), their brand name, and how easily they might be to have stolen if, say, doors are accidently left unlocked?

Thanks in advance.

OK, got the system installed today so now I can answer your questions. (sorry for hijacking the thread on the whole lock issue). The system looks great IMO. The headrests MAY be a tiny bit more uncomfortable than before, although I have found them to be the least comfortable thing on the car. Their purpose is for safety and not for comfort so I can live with it. The picture seems fine. I used a Kings of Leon "Live at the OZ" concert in England DVD as my test DVD...beats the Hell out of testing it with something from Disney, LOL...which is all it will ever see now. The audio quality is great. The headphones are IR. You may be getting confused about the whole FM thing. From what I understand, the FM frequency is used only when you want to hear the music over the car's speakers instead of the headphones. You can watch the same thing on both monitors or run different movies on each. There are 2 remotes and 2 sets of headphones.

Thanks Baum and richy.

I'm going to post pics in a minute in another post from my iphone. I can't log into photobucket from work. It is a very neat installation and looks very professional. They are hard wired in so I don't think theft would be that big of a concern. With crooks these days, who knows?? Personally, I'd be more concerned about an external Nav system than this. Stay tuned for pics.

And one other thing, the FM transmitter is just like having an MP3 player that you run through an FM transmitter to have it go over your car's speakers. You do not want to have an FM station on the frequency or else you won't hear it, only the station. I believe there are 6 different frequencies on which it transmits.

Edited by richy

Yes, I do. I know it won't let you lock the Intelligent key in the car after you've shut it off. And, yes, the outside keypad would certainly help there. If I run into somewhere for a moment and want to keep it running, I close the door and either touch the outside button or the last 2 keypad buttons simultaneously to lock it.

Thanks Rich and akirby.

Rich: how did the patient do after today's scheduled 6 hour appointment in the operating room? Pleased with the results, ie DVD install? If I may ask, were you getting anything else done such as the software update or have you been trouble-free? Can you tell the series of Invision?

Finally, is there any chance the MKX could be different than an Edge on the auto lock feature? Mine is an Edge Limited, though I won't see it until mid-February and I will also have the intermittent access.

Pat

Thanks Rich and akirby.

Rich: how did the patient do after today's scheduled 6 hour appointment in the operating room? Pleased with the results, ie DVD install? If I may ask, were you getting anything else done such as the software update or have you been trouble-free? Can you tell the series of Invision?

Finally, is there any chance the MKX could be different than an Edge on the auto lock feature? Mine is an Edge Limited, though I won't see it until mid-February and I will also have the intermittent access.

Pat

Pat, the patient did well as you can see from the pics. I have the owner's manual in front of me, it is the Revolution series. There may be one model that has the 2nd monitor only as a slave that can't run its own DVD. Mine does, both can run one at the same time. You have to go online and register it after you get it installed or else they don't honour the warranty. The screens tilt forward and there are stickers behind that have the numbers you will need. As far as any other work, no I did not. My car was held at the factory for 3 weeks to get the sync update done so I am current. The only issue I'm having is the nightlight and as long as I lock the door from the outside (and that's only when I open another door after closing the driver's door) then it goes right out.

I have the Intelligent key, so that may be different, I don't know. You'll have to play with it when it comes in or ask someone on here who has the same model and options as you to try it and see how their's works. Sorry I can't be more help than that.

Thanks Rich. I hope you realize that by showing these pics and sharing with me these details, the next 8 weeks of waiting will be a living hell!!! :)

You're right: as I read the InVision website, the Revolution series has two variations: one monitor that doesn't play DVDs, just carries the signal of the main unit. The other can both play independently. What's less clear is if they also have the capability of carrying the same DVD signal too.

Is there a jack for a third set of headphones for an additional rear passenger?

But the patient looks great and seems identical to the chair (the headrest).

I hope my lagged delivery also affords the software update so i dont experience the frustrations of our peers. My constituion and marriage aren't that strong. :)

Thanks for taking the time to share the pics and insights.

Pat

Thanks Rich. I hope you realize that by showing these pics and sharing with me these details, the next 8 weeks of waiting will be a living hell!!! :)

You're right: as I read the InVision website, the Revolution series has two variations: one monitor that doesn't play DVDs, just carries the signal of the main unit. The other can both play independently. What's less clear is if they also have the capability of carrying the same DVD signal too.

Is there a jack for a third set of headphones for an additional rear passenger?

But the patient looks great and seems identical to the chair (the headrest).

I hope my lagged delivery also affords the software update so i dont experience the frustrations of our peers. My constituion and marriage aren't that strong. :)

Thanks for taking the time to share the pics and insights.

Pat

Pat, I understand your pain about waiting. I read the manuals over about 3 or 4 times each and knew most of the features prior to the vehicle's arrival. You should be as up to date as possible and hopefully problem free. They are an amazing vehicle, no question. As far as the headphone jacks go, there is one on each screen so you could have 2 hard wired phones in addition to the wireless ones. Both monitors can carry the same movie, regardless of which one it's playing in. My pleasure on posting the pics. This forum has been very helpful to me and I'm happy to contribute.

Pat, I understand your pain about waiting. I read the manuals over about 3 or 4 times each and knew most of the features prior to the vehicle's arrival. You should be as up to date as possible and hopefully problem free. They are an amazing vehicle, no question. As far as the headphone jacks go, there is one on each screen so you could have 2 hard wired phones in addition to the wireless ones. Both monitors can carry the same movie, regardless of which one it's playing in. My pleasure on posting the pics. This forum has been very helpful to me and I'm happy to contribute.

OK, I'm game: how do I access the manuals? (my wife's gonna kill me). :)

• 1 month later...

Richy,

Do you have a part number for these headrests in the Charcoal leather like you have? Did they leave you a box or owners manual that might list it? Id like to ask my buddy at the dealership to order them at cost and figure it would be a lot easier if I provided all the part numbers and such. Thanks

Richy,

Do you have a part number for these headrests in the Charcoal leather like you have? Did they leave you a box or owners manual that might list it? Id like to ask my buddy at the dealership to order them at cost and figure it would be a lot easier if I provided all the part numbers and such. Thanks

Andy, I'll check the model # when I get home from work. I was provided an owner's manual and 2 remotes and 2 sets of headphones.