Has anyone noticed the amount of NEW vehicles driving around the city without tail lights, usually well after dark until the driver discovers his lack of insight and actually turns the switch?

What I've noticed is that many of these vehicles have the dashboard all lit up like some kind of 80's disco and only the daytime running lights are on (In Canada)

My little survey has concluded that this can not only be blamed on poor driving habits but also a design flaw. It seems that all European (well German anyway) GM and Ford products do NOT suffer with this safety issue. I assume they have automatic lights or require the lights to be turned on so they can see the gauges etc.

Chrylser, Honda and Toyota products being the biggest offenders. Even the expensive Lexus and Accura have the same fault...???

PS: I'm waiting for my 2011 Edge to arrive that I know has the auto lights...!!!

Yep, seen them. I'm afraid that if you flashed your lights at these people, they'd panic and drive off the road. Some people have no clue :banghead:

PLUS 1

OFTEN when my morning ride pulls up at 6am (couple of times a week) I have to tell him to turn his lights on.

"Some people have no clue :banghead:"

But those BLUE lights sure look GOOD!

When we are driving around at night I make him turn them DOWN, I can't see out the windshield and THAT SCARES ME :titanic:

Wonder where the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety is…OH I forgot they are IN BED with the Asian manufactures!!

ab

PLUS 1

OFTEN when my morning ride pulls up at 6am (couple of times a week) I have to tell him to turn his lights on.

"Some people have no clue :banghead:"

But those BLUE lights sure look GOOD!

When we are driving around at night I make him turn them DOWN, I can't see out the windshield and THAT SCARES ME :titanic:

Wonder where the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety is…OH I forgot they are IN BED with the Asian manufactures!!

ab

This is my biggest issue with DRLs. The simple solution is to simply make DRLs fully automatic so that the DRLs are on in the daytime and regular headlamps come on automatically at night or if the wipers are active. And don't allow them to be turned off if the vehicle is moving. Not using your headlamps at all on overcast rainy days or at dusk and dawn is FAR more dangerous than driving without DRLs in the daytime.

I'm also perplexed when I flash my lights at these idiots (several times, usually) with absolutely no response. Even when it's dark enough that they should be able to see that their lights aren't on even if the dash is lit up.

• 4 weeks later...

This is my biggest issue with DRLs. The simple solution is to simply make DRLs fully automatic so that the DRLs are on in the daytime and regular headlamps come on automatically at night or if the wipers are active. And don't allow them to be turned off if the vehicle is moving. Not using your headlamps at all on overcast rainy days or at dusk and dawn is FAR more dangerous than driving without DRLs in the daytime.

I'm also perplexed when I flash my lights at these idiots (several times, usually) with absolutely no response. Even when it's dark enough that they should be able to see that their lights aren't on even if the dash is lit up.

I thought I would resurrect this post as I understand that Toyota (:redcard: of all companies) now recognizes this flaw and have installed all 2011's with automatic lights.

Your right, where is the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety on this one