turn by turn directions

My SEL AWD due in a week, ordered Black Friday. Looking online I saw the turn by turn feature. Is this available without NAV?

Unrelated, when paired to your cell, I assume it automatically puts the phone on speaker mode? If so, does it automatically revert to non-speaker when you leave the car?

My SEL AWD due in a week, ordered Black Friday. Looking online I saw the turn by turn feature. Is this available without NAV?

Unrelated, when paired to your cell, I assume it automatically puts the phone on speaker mode? If so, does it automatically revert to non-speaker when you leave the car?

I have had my SEL for about a month. We are very pleased with the vehicle and all parts of the MFT (MyFordTouch) system have been working flawlessly. I did not order the NAV.

The turn-by-turn navigation works well IMO. You have to initiate the service by going to syncmyride.com. Once you have registered, all you do is press the input button on the steering wheel. When MFT asks what you want, you say DIRECTIONS. Then MFT asks for an address. It picked up the street number and name I requested perfectly and used my cell phone to make a short call to sync. In less than a minute, it ended the call and had the directions for my destination. The directions were read out as I drove. My initial reaction was that the directions were better than my TomTom. The turns were also graphically represented on the touch screen and to the right side of the speedometer.

My cheap LG cell phone paired immediately and every time I enter the car with the cell phone on, MFT tries to connect with the phone. My phone requires me to hit a button to accept the connection. When I leave the car and take the phone with me, the connection is automatically closed and I have to accept the connection on my cell phone each time I restart the car.

I have read about a lot of problems associated with MFT. It seems to me most of those problems involve IPhones with compatibility issues, problems with the optional NAV, problems with phones that stream audio and a few early failures of the computer. I do not use those devices and I have not experienced any problems. Everything works exactly as advertised.

Good Luck and enjoy your ride.

I have had my SEL for about a month. We are very pleased with the vehicle and all parts of the MFT (MyFordTouch) system have been working flawlessly. I did not order the NAV.

The turn-by-turn navigation works well IMO. You have to initiate the service by going to syncmyride.com. Once you have registered, all you do is press the input button on the steering wheel. When MFT asks what you want, you say DIRECTIONS. Then MFT asks for an address. It picked up the street number and name I requested perfectly and used my cell phone to make a short call to sync. In less than a minute, it ended the call and had the directions for my destination. The directions were read out as I drove. My initial reaction was that the directions were better than my TomTom. The turns were also graphically represented on the touch screen and to the right side of the speedometer.

My cheap LG cell phone paired immediately and every time I enter the car with the cell phone on, MFT tries to connect with the phone. My phone requires me to hit a button to accept the connection. When I leave the car and take the phone with me, the connection is automatically closed and I have to accept the connection on my cell phone each time I restart the car.

I have read about a lot of problems associated with MFT. It seems to me most of those problems involve IPhones with compatibility issues, problems with the optional NAV, problems with phones that stream audio and a few early failures of the computer. I do not use those devices and I have not experienced any problems. Everything works exactly as advertised.

Good Luck and enjoy your ride.

Thanks, very helpful. I have a LG too, the ENV 3

I've had the opposite luck with the "turn by turn" Synch directions. Better than nothing for sure, but if you are in even a slightly poor cell area it will keep dropping the call during the download and you have to start all over again. Also if you take a brief detour off the course, it has to download a new set of directions all over again. Very kludgy (IMO) comapared the Synch with Nav I had in my 2009 Platinum F-150. So far I'd have to say I'm not a fan of the Synch II (MyTouch) as on my 2011 Edge Limited it is not nearly as reliable as my '09 Platinum Synch/Nav system was. We still haven't been able to get the factory Nav working on the new Edge. Like anything else, this is a new system and there are bugs...Ford will get it right, but I wish they would have gotten it better before rushing it to maket...better to delay the introduction to mid year (Job 2) or even the next model year than put customers through so much grief.

• 5 weeks later...

I'm pretty new at this myself, but Juscruzn, have your turned on your Bluetooth on your phone? My phone wasn't linking up without me "accepting" Sync everytime I got in the car. It would only temporarily turn on Bluetooth to accept Sync. I found that I needed to set my Bluetooth to the "on" position and leave it there. Now my phone and Sync are in sync!