Navigation

My 2011 Edge is two weeks old, and I cannot seem to set a navigation location in a large, stand-alone shopping mall that I am actually at. While I can get the map coordinates, I cannot set a destination. It REQUIRES a street name and street address, and there is none! This is typical of many large shopping center that are stand-alone. They do NOT have a postal address, a store may have one, but it is not where the location is.

What do I do? Especially, what do I do if it is out of town?

The Tiger

My 2011 Edge is two weeks old, and I cannot seem to set a navigation location in a large, stand-alone shopping mall that I am actually at. While I can get the map coordinates, I cannot set a destination. It REQUIRES a street name and street address, and there is none! This is typical of many large shopping center that are stand-alone. They do NOT have a postal address, a store may have one, but it is not where the location is.

What do I do? Especially, what do I do if it is out of town?

The Tiger

Search by POI name

Thanks, but it isn't listed. I have found the location and driving directions on "Google Maps", it is accurate, and it's free!!!

Now, how can I get the very expensive Navigator to use this information?

Tiger

I noticed the same problem, the cheap Nuvis will do it, but our expensive built-in navigation systems will not. I emailed Ford and they told me they don't even know if this issue is one they are wokring on. For now, you can not add a location in the Nav system.

What happens, if when you are at the mall you touch the blinking circle and select save to favorites. Or touch Dest and select map, find mall on map and touch the map and select save to favorites.

I just tried the 2 methods and I was able to save my current location and a destination out in the middle of a pasture to favorites.

Edited by curlysir

I noticed the same problem, the cheap Nuvis will do it, but our expensive built-in navigation systems will not. I emailed Ford and they told me they don't even know if this issue is one they are wokring on. For now, you can not add a location in the Nav system.

New Recall Body Control Module (BCM), and "Customer Satisfaction" Synch change.

Got my recall notice, as well as a "Customer Satisfaction" fix to the Sync Navigation System. Dealer says the first issue would be to verify that my BCM (Body Control Module) needs the upgrade by examination and test. Not all the BCM's have this fix needed, They will give me a rental car while it is being repaired.

The "Sync fix" is a software update, is not covered by a rental car, but would be if both fixes are on the same day. Schedule your appointment.

Notice, one can read "Customer Satisfaction" as "we are getting too many complaints, and bad press than normal"

The Tiger

:yahoo:

What happens, if when you are at the mall you touch the blinking circle and select save to favorites. Or touch Dest and select map, find mall on map and touch the map and select save to favorites.

I just tried the 2 methods and I was able to save my current location and a destination out in the middle of a pasture to favorites.

Cool. I'll try this tomorrow. If it works, then Sync REALLY does not know what they are talking about as they told me this was not possible.

Cool. I'll try this tomorrow. If it works, then Sync REALLY does not know what they are talking about as they told me this was not possible.

I know it works on mine as I have done it several times. Just touch the blinking circle or a location on the screen and a pop up shows up asking you several things to do, one is save to favorites.

Let us know if it works for you.

Edited by curlysir

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, but it isn't listed. I have found the location and driving directions on "Google Maps", it is accurate, and it's free!!!

Now, how can I get the very expensive Navigator to use this information?

Tiger

Since you brought up Google Maps...I thought I would mention a cool yet not well known feature: You can send a Goole Maps location to your NAV System!!!

Steps:

1. When in Google maps on your PC (does not work on mobile device Google Maps yet), find your location. Say like the mall or the restaurant your spouse just told you to meet them at.

2. Then under the location detail you want to go to, you will see "More" (with a little triangle). Under "More" select the "send" option.

3. In the "Send" window pop-up, select "Car"

4. Then in the "Car" window, fill in the stuff (make sure you say "Ford" and use your cell that is tied to your Sync Account) and press "Send"

5. When you get into your car, then hit the voice button and say "Services" (or use the touch screen).

Then from there, the Sync services should talk to you and say you have a destination from google maps and ask you if you would like to download. Say yes, and off you go...nav point downloads and your nav system takes over from there like normal. :yup:

Very cool stuff!! If only the google maps on my iPhone had the "Send to Car" option...maybe someday.

• Like 1

What is totally absurd these days is that they have to make a phone call to get the data, and that you can get only one at once.

They should team up with a cellphone carrier like Garmin does, my Garmin is fabulous, I can Google search directly from the unit anywhere and get instan results, and if I send something from google maps, it gets to the unit immediately. Using the phone as an old 56K modem is antiquated and slow.

Also the iPhone app for sync, a really nice concept and super fast to find places, but having to call services to get the places and go through that slow and awkward menu to get to the favorites, is slow... And don't even mention the pain it is if you English is less than perfect.

Since you brought up Google Maps...I thought I would mention a cool yet not well known feature: You can send a Goole Maps location to your NAV System!!!

Steps:

1. When in Google maps on your PC (does not work on mobile device Google Maps yet), find your location. Say like the mall or the restaurant your spouse just told you to meet them at.

2. Then under the location detail you want to go to, you will see "More" (with a little triangle). Under "More" select the "send" option.

3. In the "Send" window pop-up, select "Car"

4. Then in the "Car" window, fill in the stuff (make sure you say "Ford" and use your cell that is tied to your Sync Account) and press "Send"

5. When you get into your car, then hit the voice button and say "Services" (or use the touch screen).

Then from there, the Sync services should talk to you and say you have a destination from google maps and ask you if you would like to download. Say yes, and off you go...nav point downloads and your nav system takes over from there like normal. :yup:

Very cool stuff!! If only the google maps on my iPhone had the "Send to Car" option...maybe someday.

That is a very cool option ! I'm going to try it. Thanks for the tip.

FYI:

Google only sends destination to Sync. The route is created on your Edge.