My god this vehicle is turning into a nightmare.

Jamie Stross

Okay, so I bought my edge back in october, received it december 9th and it is just one problem after another.

Its shitty on gas, I didn't receive locking wheel nuts on my rims and the dealer wanted to charge me $100 for 4 locking nuts, I cant find the gorilla locking wheel nuts for my vehicle anywhere, my seat makes a loud ass noise everytime it moves back, my screen keeps shutting off on my vehicle and wont turn on, and now I was cleaning my vehicle today and noticed that my 2 rear rims are chipping, yes the chrome is chipping! and i emailed the dealer and i know the response already "sorry we cant do anything for you"

After a year of having it i could MAYBE see this happening, but a month?? It's ridiculous. So needless to say im not impressed. Now I need to fork out $1000 for winter tires and rims just to prevent it from chipping further.

Is it just me or is anyone else having problem after problem with the dealer/vehicle??

Thanks. Sorry I had to vent.

While I have people here. What is a good winter tire/rim setup/size? And with the 9006 hid kit, what did you need to modify and do you need that DRL relay?

Okay step back and take a few long slow breaths.

Winter blend fuels always wreck your fuel economy numbers, give it a chance and let the vehicle break in. Check your tire pressure often. I know by me it's cold 1 day it's warm the next.

go back to your dealer and demand that they give you the wheel locks that were supposed to come with your sport . if you get nowhere with a salesman than ask to speak to a manager or the owner .

check amazon.com for the gorilla wheel locks, they have the best price and if you apply for the amazon credit card they will take 30 dollars off of the purchase price .

our aluminum rims are not chrome plated theyre polished...so I'm not sure what's chipping off your wheel maybe they never remove the plastic coating that was on it when they shipped it? wash your wheels with warm soapy water and take a close look at it again, post up some close up pictures so that we can all see it maybe we could give you an idea.

I used the ddmtuning.com HID headlight kit, same as other members. I bought the 9006 bulb 55 watt 5000 k kit and it fits perfectly without any modification to the bulb. The price was very reasonable, $45.00 I have a lifetime warranty, and their customer service was great, in 3 days I had my order. Check the pics I posted in my gallery with high beam / low beam shots etc.

So you see, its not so bad... this summer once you have the new MFT update, your HIDS installed, your wheels all polished and your cruising around w your windows down and your tunes on you'll be happy as a clam.

Edited by Edgieguy

Yeah, I have like 5 kits from DDM tuning and i love their products, too bad they dont have slim ballasts in stock right now :(

as for the chrome thats peeling off, ill take a picture. and the locks they said dont come with it, not sure if country matters but i saw the order guide for the states and it says comes with locking wheel locks but nothing in canada ive seen. can someone find documents to show this so i can show them at the dealer?

thanks for the help lol, i guess i should relax.

If your Edge is only a month old it is under Warranty. The warranty is there and the dealer should make it right. Ford reimburses them for any repairs or replacements to the Edge. I went through this with our HHR we ad. Never will I buy another GM product again unless it is from the 50's.

Your rim looks like it has a rock chip in it. Once chrome rims get rock chips and they are clear coated it will continue to get worse. The 22 inch rims are nice but it is a bigger area to get damaged. As for the wheel locks the dealer needs to just put them on and be done with it. I mean that is something simple to keep a customer happy.

If your Edge is only a month old it is under Warranty. The warranty is there and the dealer should make it right. Ford reimburses them for any repairs or replacements to the Edge. I went through this with our HHR we ad. Never will I buy another GM product again unless it is from the 50's.

Your rim looks like it has a rock chip in it. Once chrome rims get rock chips and they are clear coated it will continue to get worse. The 22 inch rims are nice but it is a bigger area to get damaged. As for the wheel locks the dealer needs to just put them on and be done with it. I mean that is something simple to keep a customer happy.

No ones warranty covers rock chips. Thats one problem with having 22's they kick up a lot of debris from the roads.

ive had alot of rims in my time on my vehicles and NEVER have i seem something chip this easily. its crap.

and as for the wheel locks you think it'd be an easy problem to go away, but its not the case.

although im hoping the first poster is correct in the fact that the specs do say 'polished aluminum' with tuxedo black accents

so im hoping its not a chip and just that plastic...

Edited by _11680

and now ive had to fill up my front two tires twice in 2 days.

i bought a new vehicle to get away from problems not get more. gah, this is bad.

Just because you have a problem doesn't mean it's Ford's fault. I don't recall anyone else having worse than normal chipping on their wheels (peeling, yes and that would be a warranty issue). And tires losing air? Once again not a common problem.

And watch the slurs. Not only was it uncalled for it didn't even make sense.

Im going to assume that the round yellowish spot in the center of your photo is what you're complaining about. Its definitely not peeling. The rims on the 2011 Sport are polished, non clear coated aluminum. If you use metal polish on them your polishing rag will turn black. If they were clear coated it wouldn't. So, with that said, is it a chip from a flying stone? Possibly. Is there anyway to protect your wheels from small stones picked up by your tires or someone else's on the road? NO. Not sure if you have to drive anywhere off of paved roads, but if you can avoid those roads maybe youll lessen your chances of getting more?

Its not a design flaw, its life. When the spring time comes, get a drill, a polishing ball, some metal polish and go to work shining them up to look like chrome. If you're the type that doesn't enjoy detailing your ride, then pay someone else to do it.

Take your attitude down to the dealer and demand your wheel locks. Ask them who unpacked the blister pack from the vehicle that held them in the first place. Get a copy of the accessory catalog and show them the statement 22" polished aluminum wheels with locking nuts.

Good luck and lighten up, you have an Awesome new truck that strangers will compliment you on for years, don't let your world fall in on you cause you got a rick chip on one of your wheels.

My attitude is not uncalled for nor is my language when it comes to a brand new vehicle. I'm not wasting $50,000 on something that needs as much maintenance this soon on my part. I don't care if it's luck or a bad batch from ford, if you had these problems I think you'd be at the same level I am. When it does nothing but snow for 2 weeks and you get a chip in your brand new $1300 rim and your tire keeps going flat in -30 degree weather I think you'd be where I am. So stop telling me to lighten up please.

I really think you need to lighten up watch your language and take your problems to Ford makes no sense complaining on here about it. .. I assume when you bought the car you got a warranty, go dow there show them the problems and see what they can do.. Thats what warranties are for. Either that or sell it

Edited by 07mass

True enough. I apologize. I contacted the dealer and from what the email seems to say I'm supposed to make an appointment to come in and see if they can do something for me. I guess looking at it from the other way not much can be done about chips, it just sucks. and as for the tire the roads arent the dealers fault. so sorry everyone about my rambling and i'll let you know how the process plays out in a calm manner lol

True enough. I apologize. I contacted the dealer and from what the email seems to say I'm supposed to make an appointment to come in and see if they can do something for me. I guess looking at it from the other way not much can be done about chips, it just sucks. and as for the tire the roads arent the dealers fault. so sorry everyone about my rambling and i'll let you know how the process plays out in a calm manner lol

Try and get your tires filled with nitrous (I think? Don't laugh if that is the wrong gas, just know it isn't just air...) might help with the cold. I know they do that here in AK in the winter. Those tires were the seal the deal against the sport for me. They are beauties, but I was looking to not have to switch out summer/winter tires. Good luck with your dealer.

Edited by choff1138

Try and get your tires filled with nitrous (I think?)

Close. It's nitrogen. Nitrogen supposedly leaks out more slowly due to the larger molecules and it doesn't expand as much when hot. I don't see where it would help with colder temps though.

Personally I use a carefully measured mixture of 78% nitrogen, 21% oxygen with a few other inert gases and check my air pressure every 3-4 weeks. Seems to work just fine!

Im going to assume that the round yellowish spot in the center of your photo is what you're complaining about. Its definitely not peeling. The rims on the 2011 Sport are polished, non clear coated aluminum. If you use metal polish on them your polishing rag will turn black. If they were clear coated it wouldn't. So, with that said, is it a chip from a flying stone? Possibly. Is there anyway to protect your wheels from small stones picked up by your tires or someone else's on the road? NO. Not sure if you have to drive anywhere off of paved roads, but if you can avoid those roads maybe youll lessen your chances of getting more?

Its not a design flaw, its life. When the spring time comes, get a drill, a polishing ball, some metal polish and go to work shining them up to look like chrome. If you're the type that doesn't enjoy detailing your ride, then pay someone else to do it.

Take your attitude down to the dealer and demand your wheel locks. Ask them who unpacked the blister pack from the vehicle that held them in the first place. Get a copy of the accessory catalog and show them the statement 22" polished aluminum wheels with locking nuts.

Good luck and lighten up, you have an Awesome new truck that strangers will compliment you on for years, don't let your world fall in on you cause you got a rick chip on one of your wheels.

Are we 100% sure that our 22" rims are NOT clear coated?

Makes a big difference on what to buy to clean them.

Close. It's nitrogen. Nitrogen supposedly leaks out more slowly due to the larger molecules and it doesn't expand as much when hot. I don't see where it would help with colder temps though.

Personally I use a carefully measured mixture of 78% nitrogen, 21% oxygen with a few other inert gases and check my air pressure every 3-4 weeks. Seems to work just fine!

I don't know - like I said - I just know it isn't just regular air if you go to a tire shop to fill them. Science never was my forte. :)

I don't know - like I said - I just know it isn't just regular air if you go to a tire shop to fill them. Science never was my forte. :)

There is a lot of debate whether nitrogen is really beneficial or just a placebo. The biggest advantage seems to be that it's drier than air but then again I've never had a wheel or tire rust from the inside out.

Bottom line is if you check your tire pressure regularly either one is fine.

I hope you use your husband for more than that??

Of course. He is a great guy... he just doesn't let me check tires anymore. I tend to do it wrong. :) Didn't you see I thought they were putting nitrous in the tires? I am trying to be a car girl now that I have a cool car, but have a long way to go.

Edited by choff1138

Are we 100% sure that our 22" rims are NOT clear coated?

Makes a big difference on what to buy to clean them.

Hi spridell. :D Just to avoid any confusion: They are clear-coated. I won't speak for all other manufacturers, but all modern Ford passenger car aluminum wheels are clear-coat finished. Otherwise, they would oxidize and look horrible in no time (yes, aluminum oxidizes but does not rust). So yes, the polished wheels are manufactured with a "polished" aluminum finish and the wheel is then clear-coated with either a polyester or acrylic clear-coat protective coating. The machined aluminum wheels are manufactured with a "machined" aluminum finish and the wheel is then clear-coated. The painted (or painted pocket) aluminum wheels are manufactured with a painted finish and the wheel is then clear-coated, and so on....

Therefore (as you advised), you must use a clear-coat safe wheel cleaner. It is even advisable to simply wash them with a good quality car shampoo then protect the finish with a coat (or two) of wax and buff (in both cases, you can use the same wash and wax products as used on your paint finish). If washed, waxed and maintained on a regular basis, special cleaners are not needed for clear-coated wheels.

Hope this information helps.

Good luck. :beerchug:

Edited by bbf2530