My god this vehicle is turning into a nightmare.

Jamie Stross

Of course. He is a great guy... he just doesn't let me check tires anymore. I tend to do it wrong. :) Didn't you see I thought they were putting nitrous in the tires? I am trying to be a car girl now that I have a cool car, but have a long way to go.

That's the same trick us guys use with housework. Do it wrong enough times and pretty soon they just stop asking you to do it at all!

But I do 95% of the cooking and grocery shopping in my house (plus all the other "man" chores) so I can talk.

Except bugs. I don't do bugs, not even crickets. Or reptiles.

That's the same trick us guys use with housework. Do it wrong enough times and pretty soon they just stop asking you to do it at all!

But I do 95% of the cooking and grocery shopping in my house (plus all the other "man" chores) so I can talk.

Except bugs. I don't do bugs, not even crickets. Or reptiles.

We don't have bad bugs here - worth the cold for that factor alone. Moved to Washington for a few years and our cat started hunting grasshoppers. I don't do crunchy bugs.

Of course. He is a great guy... he just doesn't let me check tires anymore. I tend to do it wrong. :) Didn't you see I thought they were putting nitrous in the tires? I am trying to be a car girl now that I have a cool car, but have a long way to go.

Baby steps ,you can't learn it all in a day

so i called the dealer and i have to stop by tomorrow to get them to look at it. apparently they have to take pictures and send them off to ford and then i get dealt with or not

hopefully it does :)

as for cleaner, i recently bought some lucas oil slick mist spray and it seems to work pretty good on most everything

not sure if i should be using it on these but it says it works on everything from leather to chrome so it seems to be working great

otherwise its mothers chrome polish

Edited by _11680

so i called the dealer and i have to stop by tomorrow to get them to look at it. apparently they have to take pictures and send them off to ford and then i get dealt with or not

hopefully it does :)

as for cleaner, i recently bought some lucas oil slick mist spray and it seems to work pretty good on most everything

not sure if i should be using it on these but it says it works on everything from leather to chrome so it seems to be working great

otherwise its mothers chrome polish

Hi _11680. :D If you are referring to using Mothers Chrome Polish on your aluminum wheels, do not (unless it clearly states it is "Clearcoat safe"). The Edge factory aluminum wheels are clearcoated (all of them), and over the long run chrome polish will damage the clearcoat finish. Think about it: Would you use chrome polish on your clearcoated fenders, hood or roof finish?

If you read about caring for aluminum wheels which are clearcoat finished (which is all Ford factory aluminum wheels), you will find that the recommendation is to simply wash them with the same good quality car wash shampoo you use for the paint finish, then wax them periodically to protect the clearcoat finish.

Or you can read the Edge Owners Manual, which clearly states (copied and pasted):

"ALUMINUM WHEELS AND WHEEL COVERS

Aluminum wheels and wheel covers are coated with a clearcoat paint

finish. In order to maintain their shine:

• Clean weekly with Motorcraft Wheel and Tire Cleaner, which is

available from your authorized dealer. Heavy dirt and brake dust

accumulation may require agitation with a sponge. Rinse thoroughly

with a strong stream of water.

• Never apply any cleaning chemical to hot or warm wheel rims or

covers.

• Some automatic car washes may cause damage to the finish on your

wheel rims or covers. Industrial-strength (heavy-duty) cleaners, or

cleaning chemicals, in combination with brush agitation to remove

brake dust and dirt, could wear away the clearcoat finish over time.

• Do not use hydrofluoric acid-based or high caustic-based wheel

cleaners, steel wool, fuels or strong household detergent.

• To remove tar and grease, use Motorcraft Bug and Tar Remover ,

available from your authorized dealer."

Now, of course we don't need to use the Motorcraft products mentioned, but we should use a good quality clearcoat safe cleaning product. And the best is simple washing and waxing with good quality paint care products.

You can verify this information by visiting the Mother's or Meguiar's websites and reading their wheel-care "How-to's" and "FAQ's".

Whatever you decide to do, good luck. :beerchug:

Edited by bbf2530

Hi spridell. :D Just to avoid any confusion: They are clear-coated. I won't speak for all other manufacturers, but all modern Ford passenger car aluminum wheels are clear-coat finished. Otherwise, they would oxidize and look horrible in no time (yes, aluminum oxidizes but does not rust). So yes, the polished wheels are manufactured with a "polished" aluminum finish and the wheel is then clear-coated with either a polyester or acrylic clear-coat protective coating. The machined aluminum wheels are manufactured with a "machined" aluminum finish and the wheel is then clear-coated. The painted (or painted pocket) aluminum wheels are manufactured with a painted finish and the wheel is then clear-coated, and so on....

Therefore (as you advised), you must use a clear-coat safe wheel cleaner. It is even advisable to simply wash them with a good quality car shampoo then protect the finish with a coat (or two) of wax and buff (in both cases, you can use the same wash and wax products as used on your paint finish). If washed, waxed and maintained on a regular basis, special cleaners are not needed for clear-coated wheels.

Hope this information helps.

Good luck. :beerchug:

Thanks for the reply.

I have been looking into a good sealent for the winter and have heard good things about "Rejex" Wax Sealent.

Now when the spring comes need to find a good Polish .