Polished Aluminum Wheel

Hello All,

I'm actually a 2011 Explorer owner that has been lurking on this site for some time. Was looking at the Edge, and came over from the Ford Sync sister site. I've learned a ton about the right products to detail cars etc from everyone over here, so I thought I would ask about cleaning my wheels, specifically polished aluminum wheels (from Ford). When clean, they really sparkle, I love them, but haven't really figured out the best way to clean them.

I'm assuming that since they are factory provided, they most likely have some sort clear coat on them -- is that a safe assumption? Should I just clean them as I would the paint or do you recommend a certain product? I have some Meguirs Hot Rims Aluminum Wheel cleaner that I've used for my other car, is it safe to assume this is ok for my explorer's rims?

"Hot Rims® Aluminum Wheel Cleaner is the ultra-safe solution for cleaning uncoated aluminum. The specially designed formula is guaranteed safe for uncoated and polished aluminum wheels as well as anodized and powder-coated wheel surfaces – it’s even safe on all brake components. Our unique formula features Xtreme Cling™ foam technology that grabs vertical surfaces to deliver effective cleaning and gently remove brake dust and grime."

I read somewhere that the product is fairly pH neutral, so is it safe to assume that this won't stain the rims? Thoughts? Other products etc?

Thanks!

Hello All,

I'm actually a 2011 Explorer owner that has been lurking on this site for some time. Was looking at the Edge, and came over from the Ford Sync sister site. I've learned a ton about the right products to detail cars etc from everyone over here, so I thought I would ask about cleaning my wheels, specifically polished aluminum wheels (from Ford). When clean, they really sparkle, I love them, but haven't really figured out the best way to clean them.

I'm assuming that since they are factory provided, they most likely have some sort clear coat on them -- is that a safe assumption? Should I just clean them as I would the paint or do you recommend a certain product? I have some Meguirs Hot Rims Aluminum Wheel cleaner that I've used for my other car, is it safe to assume this is ok for my explorer's rims?

"Hot Rims® Aluminum Wheel Cleaner is the ultra-safe solution for cleaning uncoated aluminum. The specially designed formula is guaranteed safe for uncoated and polished aluminum wheels as well as anodized and powder-coated wheel surfaces – it’s even safe on all brake components. Our unique formula features Xtreme Cling™ foam technology that grabs vertical surfaces to deliver effective cleaning and gently remove brake dust and grime."

I read somewhere that the product is fairly pH neutral, so is it safe to assume that this won't stain the rims? Thoughts? Other products etc?

Thanks!

Hi Hopper and welcome. :D You are correct in assuming that the Ford factory polished aluminum wheels are clearcoated. And you are also correct in assuming that the safest way to care and protect them is to simply wash and wax them as you would your cars paint finish.

Concerning Meguiar's Hot Rims Aluminum Wheel Cleaner: While I use and recommend Meguiar's products, I would not use the Meguiar's Hot Rims cleaner (at least not from what you quoted the package states). If you read what you quoted carefully, it states it is formulated for "uncoated" wheels. As you assumed, while your factory wheels are polished, they are also clearcoated, so that eliminates them from the "uncoated" category. Unless that bottle of Meguiar's Hot Rims wheel cleaner states somewhere on the packaging that is it "clearcoat safe", it should not be used on your factory rims..

Clearcoated wheels should be treated just as the cars paint finish. Wash them often to remove brake dust and other contamination, then wax and buff periodically to maintain the shine and protect the finish. There are good products made specifically for clearcoated wheels that I am sure other members will jump in to recommend. As long as they clearly state "clearcoat safe", then you are okay. I won't say you should not use other products, as many are very good. I will only state that thoroughly washing and waxing clearcoated wheels will do the job of cleaning and protecting them just fine.

Whatever you decide to do, good luck. :beerchug:

Edited by bbf2530

Great! Thanks. I figured just treating them like regular paint (with separate mits / towels) would be the best bet. I saw in another post that the group recommended a sealant like Poor Boys Wheel Sealant...would this be a good product to apply ever couple of weeks etc?

Great! Thanks. I figured just treating them like regular paint (with separate mits / towels) would be the best bet. I saw in another post that the group recommended a sealant like Poor Boys Wheel Sealant...would this be a good product to apply ever couple of weeks etc?

Hi Hopper. :D You are very welcome. While I have not used it myself (I use Meguiar's Cleaner Wax for my wheels), I have heard good things about Poor Boys Wheel Sealant. While I don' know that you should need to use it as often as every few weeks, it certainly would be a good product to use on your wheels.

And yes, for the sake of your cars paint finish, you are 100% correct when you added that you should use separate mitts and towels for the wheels.

I am sure others will also weigh in soon with more advice.

Good luck. :beerchug:

Edited by bbf2530

^ While using a regular wax is completely fine, it won't last very long whatsoever as the heat from the wheels will remove it rather quickly. Products like Wheel Wax and Poorboys Wheel Sealant are made for protecting your wheels and will last much longer.

Hi Canuck. :D I would not disagree. As previously stated, I have heard nothing but good things about Poorboys Wheel Sealant. I simply have not used it yet, preferring to whittle down the glut of car care products I already have before buying more. :banghead: It will certainly be one I will try in the future. :shift:

Thanks for the information.

Hi Canuck. :D I would not disagree. As previously stated, I have heard nothing but good things about Poorboys Wheel Sealant. I simply have not used it yet, preferring to whittle down the glut of car care products I already have before buying more. :banghead: It will certainly be one I will try in the future. :shift:

Thanks for the information.

Hahahaha, I totally know what you mean. Unfortunately for me, I like to keep trying new products for my business so my inventory keeps growing as opposed to getting smaller. :wacko:

You'll really like PB's Wheel Sealant. Greatly reduces the amount of brake dust and lasts quite a long time. You can layer it as well for added durability. Smells good also. :)