2011 sport hitch

I just installed a Curt 13067 hitch and the 56120 wiring kit on my 2011 sport.

Installation went smooth you do need to notch out the rear spoiler about 2 1/2 inches for the reciever but it looks good when finished

the hardes part was running the power wire to the battery for the light kit

Installation went smooth you do need to notch out the rear spoiler about 2 1/2 inches for the reciever but it looks good when finished

any chance you could post a pic of the install? I was about to order this hitch, but I'm leery of a 2.5" cutout.

Please post a picture!! I'm interested in putting one on mine.

• 4 weeks later...

Pics as well, I'd like to see this myself as I am interested in installing one on my 2011 Sport

I also installed the hitch, and did it slightly different. I did not cut the bumper. I used longer bolts, and spaced the hitch down with an extra nut between the car and the hitch. I did need to grind the hitch a little as the mufflers were not even from below, but once I did that, it all fit perfectly. (the muffler slightly touched the hitch and was vibrating). now there is no noise, and did not have to cut anything on the car.

I can post a picture of my install later today if you want.

Edited by _12121

Here are some pictures I just took. The first to are how it looks. the last is the method that I used to lower it by about 1/2-3/4"

-Dan

Thanks for the pics, which hitch is that? It's a class II, and not the Class III Curt 13067 mentioned at the top of this thread. Probably good to keep track of which hitches work, and how.

Scott

'11 KB Edge Sport

I have a class III hitch, maybe from hidden hitch? Anyway, I had planned on mounting this in the same manner (by dropping it 3/4 of and inch down), only I was making a plate from aluminium in order to allow the hitch to contact the unit body of the edge completely and not just by the surface area of the nuts. Since we just purchased an explorer with a tow package I no longer need to do this. But as i stated in a different thread, 3/4" will bring you under the rear bumper valance.

Thanks for the pics, which hitch is that? It's a class II, and not the Class III Curt 13067 mentioned at the top of this thread. Probably good to keep track of which hitches work, and how.

Scott

'11 KB Edge Sport

This is the CURT Part Number: C12036. It is a 1-1/4" Receiver. I only do some occasional Light Duty Towing, so I had no need for the 2". I would do a Full extension plate if I was going with the 2" as was stated by Edgieguy, but for the smaller hitch, only 350lbs max tongue weight, and I'm only towing about 1250 lbs, I was comfortable with this setup.

I have a class III hitch, maybe from hidden hitch? Anyway, I had planned on mounting this in the same manner (by dropping it 3/4 of and inch down), only I was making a plate from aluminium in order to allow the hitch to contact the unit body of the edge completely and not just by the surface area of the nuts. Since we just purchased an explorer with a tow package I no longer need to do this. But as i stated in a different thread, 3/4" will bring you under the rear bumper valance.

Edgieguy - Any chance you would want to get rid of that hitch (and aluminum plates)?? Might be interested if you no longer need it, and if the price is right. You can shoot me an email to lummot2002 at yahoo dot com with details if you are interested in selling. Thanks!

Edgieguy - Any chance you would want to get rid of that hitch (and aluminum plates)?? Might be interested if you no longer need it, and if the price is right. You can shoot me an email to lummot2002 at yahoo dot com with details if you are interested in selling. Thanks!

PM sent.

• 4 months later...

Here are some pictures I just took. The first to are how it looks. the last is the method that I used to lower it by about 1/2-3/4"

-Dan

Dan,

Is this install still working for you. That seems a tad unsafe since you are trusting the strength of the bolts alone since the entrire hiflange is not in contact with the frame. I am about to do this install and wanted to lower mine as well to get under the lower bumper fascia. Thanks!

Marty

• 2 months later...

Dan,

Is this install still working for you. That seems a tad unsafe since you are trusting the strength of the bolts alone since the entrire hiflange is not in contact with the frame. I am about to do this install and wanted to lower mine as well to get under the lower bumper fascia. Thanks!

Marty

I would ditch the grade 2 washers and nut for a spacer and get a plate in there as soon as possible. The frame on the edge is like litmus paper and I wouldn't want to be putting loads from towing into concentrated areas of the frame, you can see your washers are bent from tightening the fasteners already.

• 3 months later...

I recently bought the Curt Class III hitch and was going to have the body shop install it since the rear bumper cover was going to be off after being lightly rear ended. They told me there was nothing that lined up in the frame to bolt it to. I hadn't looked at the instructions or opened the box before taking it to them so nothing would get lost. Sounds like I am going to be installing this myself and just want to know what I'm in for so I am sure I set aside enough time to do it all once we get the car back. I have all the tools necessary but was being lazy in hoping they'd do it and it would be easier with the bumper cover off. Any install help and info would be great. Thanks in advance.

• 3 months later...

Has any industrious Edge Sport owner fingered out a good way to get a trailer hitch mounted and make it look non-utility? And if so would you mind sharing with the group on what you used and how it was done please? I have jelly beans and I will certainly share if someone has a good answer! Thanks.