2011 Edge Ambiant lighting question

Quick question, the cup holders in the front.

The one closest to the driver has 2 leds in it one in the front and one in the back of the round holder

but the first cup holder only has one in the back but not in the front?

does that make sense and is it possibly not working?

Thanks

Quick question, the cup holders in the front.

The one closest to the driver has 2 leds in it one in the front and one in the back of the round holder

but the first cup holder only has one in the back but not in the front?

does that make sense and is it possibly not working?

Thanks

Well, our '11 Edge Limited has the same lighting. I suspect that if there was an led in the front edge it might be distracting as intent of ambient lighting is to be indirect. My 2¢

Well, our '11 Edge Limited has the same lighting. I suspect that if there was an led in the front edge it might be distracting as intent of ambient lighting is to be indirect. My 2¢

That is a good observation, I was just wondering if that is the normal setup though and by what you are saying your edge is the same with only one light in the first cup holder

The installation guide for the lighting states that the cup holder lights should be located at 7:00 position to not distract driver

Installation Guide

Edited by wilsons66604

• 4 weeks later...

I'm glad someone else already asked this question. My Edge is going in to the dealer for another problem and I was going to ask them to check the front cupholder LED while they were at it as it appeared to have a light not working. I think I'm already in the running for "customer pain in the butt" for making them fix the passenger door that won't do the correct color (seems to be missing yellow from what I can tell). If I had them disassembling the center console to fix a light that wasn't there I might have had to find myself a new dealer. :-)

At least it has one non-trivial problem as an excuse for them to work on it. The right rear seatbelt will not latch. The makes the second noticable defect we have found in our car, both related to the right rear seat. The first problem was found when they were prepping my car for delivery in that the right rear seat would not latch in the upright position. I have to say I was fairly disappointed in that one, I'm not sure how that could have been missed at the factory. Whomever was working that side of the car that day must have been having a bad day.

• 2 weeks later...

That is a good observation, I was just wondering if that is the normal setup though and by what you are saying your edge is the same with only one light in the first cup holder

I just picked mine up today from the dealer for that very thing. They too thought the light was out and ordered the console section ($600 part) I was told. When I got back into the car it was still exactly the same. The front cup holder only has one light in the rear section and the back has two. I asked to speak to the technician that worked on my Edge. He told me that when he looked at the new console section that that is how it is. There is one light in the middle that actually lights up both the rear of the front cup holder and the front of the rear one, and then there is one light in the back of the rear cup holder. There is NO light at the front section of the front cup holder. So I guess they changed it all out for no reason. Oh well that was on Ford not me so I'm ok with it. Hope this helps answer the questions about it.

I just picked mine up today from the dealer for that very thing. They too thought the light was out and ordered the console section ($600 part) I was told. When I got back into the car it was still exactly the same. The front cup holder only has one light in the rear section and the back has two. I asked to speak to the technician that worked on my Edge. He told me that when he looked at the new console section that that is how it is. There is one light in the middle that actually lights up both the rear of the front cup holder and the front of the rear one, and then there is one light in the back of the rear cup holder. There is NO light at the front section of the front cup holder. So I guess they changed it all out for no reason. Oh well that was on Ford not me so I'm ok with it. Hope this helps answer the questions about it.

My wife just picked up my Edge from the dealer today for getting the passenger door ambient lighting fixed. I considered it a trivial problem to even make them fix it until she saw the bill of what they would have charged to fix it after the warranty expired. I guess there is one wiring harness in the door that runs everything (power windows, locks, related switches, etc, along with the ambient lighting). Parts and labor for this was $450. Yikes! Car is new and obviously we were not asked to pick that up, but knowing what after warranty repairs are going to be I would recommend folks take a quick look at all their lighting at about the 30k mileage point...

• 2 months later...

I also noticed the front cup holder is not as bright as the second cup holder, only a little light from the back of the front cup holder light up. I asked the service people when I have the first oil change and they said they don't know, they said they will check other edge and get back to me. So, if I read it right here, the front cup holder lighting strip is normal to be dull and not as bright as the second cup holder ?? Thanks for any reply ...

• 1 year later...

This is an old topic I realize, but having just picked up a 2013 Limited last week I have some free time today and am reading many of the posts on here. I noticed the same lighting setup on my cup holders. I have a small hit list of items to be taken care of when I go in for my first service. I guess I can cross off the "Dim light in front cup holder".

I wonder if an additional light could be tapped into the wires and installed in front of the front cup holder? Sure would look a lot nicer being brighter instead of looking like a bulb is burned out!

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...