Any ideas for hiding cargo?

Hi All

New owner here :yup: . Just got a Carbon Metallic / Lt. Stone and was surprised to see that there is no rear cargo shade/cover option. I know the Edge has privacy glass but one can still peek inside the rear from outside. Any ideas for covering up any items that are laying in the rear ? Are there any aftermarket shades (adjustable maybe?) that might somehow fit into the Edge. Thanks.

Well, I went to Wally World and bought a large rubber maid type container. Then I can put whatever I want inside that and no one can see in. Not that I have any secrets, but it is mostly to keep the rear area organized and clean.

If you find anything else let us know.

Well, I went to Wally World and bought a large rubber maid type container. Then I can put whatever I want inside that and no one can see in. Not that I have any secrets, but it is mostly to keep the rear area organized and clean.

If you find anything else let us know.

Thanks Jimmerz

What I actually want is someway to cover up large items such as luggage, golf bag, shopping bags etc... so that when I am on the road and have to stop somewhere these larger items won't be visible from outside.

Factory alarm is standard but it only goes off if the door are opened. Smashing the glass and taking stuff won't set it off.

without making any accusations, do you have a source for this that says how it works... I looked at the manual online and the ford site and couldn't find any info on a standard factory alarm. I did find this... Ford Accessories alarm system

Bryce

Edited by Bryce

without making any accusations, do you have a source for this that says how it works... I looked at the manual online and the ford site and couldn't find any info on a standard factory alarm. I did find this... Ford Accessories alarm system

Bryce

My source is owning 7 factory alarm equipped Fords and reading the owner's manual in those vehicles. It looks like they left out this section in the Edge owner's manual (this is from my Fusion owner's manual).

Triggering the anti-theft system

The armed system will be triggered if:

• Any door, the hood or the trunk is opened without using the door key

or the remote entry transmitter portion of your IKT.

• The ignition is turned to the 3 (ON) position with an invalid

SecuriLock key.

Triggering the anti-theft system

The armed system will be triggered if:

• Any door, the hood or the trunk is opened without using the door key

or the remote entry transmitter portion of your IKT.

• The ignition is turned to the 3 (ON) position with an invalid

SecuriLock key.

While I'll agree that the manuals are not perfect (see my Message Center/TPMS issue), and I see the non SecuriLock Key doing something (I think the manual actually says it immobilizes the vehicle), I'm sitting here scratching my head trying to figure out how that you open a locked door without the key or remote... actually, I can think of lots of ways, but something that would be easier/quicker/less conspicuous than breaking a window.

Sorry, e-Mel, about the thread hi-jack.

Bryce

While I'll agree that the manuals are not perfect (see my Message Center/TPMS issue), and I see the non SecuriLock Key doing something (I think the manual actually says it immobilizes the vehicle), I'm sitting here scratching my head trying to figure out how that you open a locked door without the key or remote... actually, I can think of lots of ways, but something that would be easier/quicker/less conspicuous than breaking a window.

Bryce

Sit in the front seat, lock all the doors, then open the door without hitting the unlock button. The door opens even though it's locked. If you do this with the perimeter alarm on it will set off the alarm. Happens all the time when you lock the kids in the car outside a store and they decide to come inside later.

If you're outside the vehicle, you can reach inside the vehicle through an open window or break the window and use the manual unlock button (or just use the door handle as evidenced above) OR they could use a tool to manually force the lock open (a flat bar e.g.).

Similarly the hood or trunk could be forced open by cutting or using a pry bar.

Sit in the front seat, lock all the doors, then open the door without hitting the unlock button. The door opens even though it's locked. If you do this with the perimeter alarm on it will set off the alarm. Happens all the time when you lock the kids in the car outside a store and they decide to come inside later.

If you're outside the vehicle, you can reach inside the vehicle through an open window or break the window and use the manual unlock button (or just use the door handle as evidenced above) OR they could use a tool to manually force the lock open (a flat bar e.g.).

Similarly the hood or trunk could be forced open by cutting or using a pry bar.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong here.... how do you set the alarm? The fusion manaul says to press the lock function on the ITK and 20 seconds later it's armed.

I rolled down the window, got out, shut the door, locked it with the ITK and left for 10+ minutes. Came back, reached inside, grabbed the inside door opener handle, opened the door, got in, started it up and drove off.

No horn, siren, immobilization... just a normal car.

Anyhow... if someone is brave enough to break out a window or pry a door/hood/hatch open, they probably won't give a crap about a horn honking either... I think the general public just ignores car alarms now days, too.

Bryce

Edited by Bryce

Thanks Jimmerz

What I actually want is someway to cover up large items such as luggage, golf bag, shopping bags etc... so that when I am on the road and have to stop somewhere these larger items won't be visible from outside.

These cargo shades are pretty useless. If I saw a car with the shade closed, I'd assume there's something of value beneath it to steal.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong here.... how do you set the alarm? The fusion manaul says to press the lock function on the ITK and 20 seconds later it's armed.

I rolled down the window, got out, shut the door, locked it with the ITK and left for 10+ minutes. Came back, reached inside, grabbed the inside door opener handle, opened the door, got in, started it up and drove off.

No horn, siren, immobilization... just a normal car.

Anyhow... if someone is brave enough to break out a window or pry a door/hood/hatch open, they probably won't give a crap about a horn honking either... I think the general public just ignores car alarms now days, too.

Bryce

That should have triggered the alarm. I'll have to try it on my Fusion. Maybe they've made it smarter.

• 2 weeks later...