Engine Stalling ?

ponylx

Hi all , new member here , I own a 2007 edge , and love it by the way . but have a quick question for you , i just got a text message from my wife who (as im typing this ) is sitting at the border waiting for almost 2 hrs now , she said the car just stalled for no reason , and had a hard time restarting it , Once it finally started she noticed all presets on radio , clock had been set back to factory , so im assuming she had a major power short which reset the computer ? Im wondering if it has something to do with it idling for a long period of time , Something getting to hot ?any ideas what would cause this, just got another text she said she had to hold the key on for quite awhile till it finally fired , and it sounded like it wanted to stall out again for about 4-5 sec then ran fine ? I actually work at the ford plant where we make the edge ,MKX , flex and MKT .and this is the first time ive heard of anything like this , any suggestions would be appreciated :)

Hi all , new member here , I own a 2007 edge , and love it by the way . but have a quick question for you , i just got a text message from my wife who (as im typing this ) is sitting at the border waiting for almost 2 hrs now , she said the car just stalled for no reason , and had a hard time restarting it , Once it finally started she noticed all presets on radio , clock had been set back to factory , so im assuming she had a major power short which reset the computer ? Im wondering if it has something to do with it idling for a long period of time , Something getting to hot ?any ideas what would cause this, just got another text she said she had to hold the key on for quite awhile till it finally fired , and it sounded like it wanted to stall out again for about 4-5 sec then ran fine ? I actually work at the ford plant where we make the edge ,MKX , flex and MKT .and this is the first time ive heard of anything like this , any suggestions would be appreciated :)

You asked for suggestions. Here's mine. NEVER EVER let your car idle for 2 hrs. It can cause a lot of things to happen. And all of them are bad.

Letting the car idle for 2 hours should do no harm, it is kinda hard on the AC but I wouldn't be surprised if even that wasn't affected. If everything went back to factory settings then the car lost batt power, I think there is a tsb for a lose batt cable/wire?

You say idling for 2 hours "SHOULD" do no harm. And you "WOULDN'T BE SURPRIZED" if the AC wasn't affected. Why take the chance?

You say idling for 2 hours "SHOULD" do no harm. And you "WOULDN'T BE SURPRIZED" if the AC wasn't affected. Why take the chance?

Whats the deferents between driving for 3.5 hours and idling for 2 hours? There isn't any. The only reason I bring up the AC is because the condenser needs air to keep it cool, but all new cars have electric fans. And most cars don't even need fans under 35mph. Those electric fans do a good job when stoped or moving slow. After that long I would put the tranny in neutral,because id be tired of holding onto the brake. There use to be a video floating around of Ford testing ground and they did a thing call Hot Box or something like that, anyways they park the car in like a large dumpster in the dead of summer and it get like 130 in there, they sit in there for a very long time with the AC maxed out. Everything gets tested and I dought we could do stuff they haven't done it to.

Whats the deferents between driving for 3.5 hours and idling for 2 hours? There isn't any. The only reason I bring up the AC is because the condenser needs air to keep it cool, but all new cars have electric fans. And most cars don't even need fans under 35mph. Those electric fans do a good job when stoped or moving slow. After that long I would put the tranny in neutral,because id be tired of holding onto the brake. There use to be a video floating around of Ford testing ground and they did a thing call Hot Box or something like that, anyways they park the car in like a large dumpster in the dead of summer and it get like 130 in there, they sit in there for a very long time with the AC maxed out. Everything gets tested and I dought we could do stuff they haven't done it to.

Okay bad choice of words guys , she wasnt stopped dead , more like rush hour traffic , moving slowly , and my wife knows to keep an eye on things ( check guages and such ), it was minus 18 with the wind chill so needless to say she had the heat on ,she said all was fine , pulled into duty free to use washroom ( kids ) and it just died and then had hard time restarting , once it did though theride home was fine , like it never happened , Once she was home I checked it out and couldnt find anything , But I thank you for responses though , much appreciated

• 1 year later...