How do I replace a radiator fan switch?

much2long

I've unsuccessfully scoured the web for instructions on how to replace a fan switch on my 2007 SEL, but I don't even know where the damn thing is! My fan has stopped kicking on and after idling for ten minutes (rush-hour standstill) or so my radiator will start to overheat. I've replaced the thermostat, and it has the proper 50/50 mix, so I'm thinking the fan switch has got to be the problem.

Any ideas, pointers, instructions? They would be appreciated!

thanks,

Kyle

I've unsuccessfully scoured the web for instructions on how to replace a fan switch on my 2007 SEL, but I don't even know where the damn thing is! My fan has stopped kicking on and after idling for ten minutes (rush-hour standstill) or so my radiator will start to overheat. I've replaced the thermostat, and it has the proper 50/50 mix, so I'm thinking the fan switch has got to be the problem.

thanks,

Kyle

Have you run DC voltage to your fan to make sure it isnt the fan? I havent made the jump to the Edge yet, but my Jeep Grand Cherokee had a similar issue and the fan relay was in a very unfortunate place (had to cut a small access hole in the plastic underneath the right headlight assembly since I did not want to pull the front bumper completely off) but after I replaced it finally it seemed to be OK for about a week and then the fan wouldn't come on anymore. Ended up needing a new fan, so it would have been beneficial to troubleshoot the fan first in my experience.

I have access to ALLDATA, a computer program that will tell me where the radiator fan switch is located. let me see if the computer I installed it on is still running. If it is, I'll post the diagrams and specs on what you need, where it is, etc... I had this problem on my first car, an '82 prelude. I replaced the relays twice (at $100 each) before I decided that I just wouldnt let the car idle. Running without a thermostat helped a lot in the summer, But it sucked in the winter.

I have access to ALLDATA, a computer program that will tell me where the radiator fan switch is located. let me see if the computer I installed it on is still running. If it is, I'll post the diagrams and specs on what you need, where it is, etc... I had this problem on my first car, an '82 prelude. I replaced the relays twice (at $100 each) before I decided that I just wouldnt let the car idle. Running without a thermostat helped a lot in the summer, But it sucked in the winter.

Hi CoastGuardian,

Thanks a bunch! Have you been able to locate the diagrams, etc., yet? Much appreciated!

I have attached all the info I could dig up on the cooling fan electrical system. It looks like it is controlled by a module located just behind the radiator on the driver's side. I have attached cropped screen shots from ALLDATA. I hope this helps, It's everything I could find. Also, are you running FWD or AWD? all this info is for FWD.

thanks,

Kyle

post-12116-071151900 1300652124_thumb.jpg

post-12116-058681200 1300652126_thumb.jpg

post-12116-060470700 1300652129_thumb.jpg

post-12116-082770200 1300652130_thumb.jpg

post-12116-060062100 1300652536_thumb.jpg

post-12116-070816900 1300652537_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

I am also having the same trouble, I think it is the fan control relay that is described in the drawings previously submitted. I am currently trying to determine if the relay is bad or the thing that sends the impulse to the relay is faulty. Does anyone know if the relay is activated by electricity or a path to ground. it seems that the relay costs about 350 from the dealer and I would like to know if that is the faulty part before I buy it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• 1 year later...

There is a cylinder head temperature sensor. It inputs a signal to the PCM and the PCM sends an output signal to the fan control module. The cylinder head temperature sensor is located slightly beneath the intake manifold on the right side [firewall side] of the engine.

Fan "relays" are contained on the fan control module. I think the signal is analog or digital to vary the speed of the fans. The signal from the PCM is on pin#4 of the connector. Pin#1 is power, Pin #2 is ground. Pin #3 is not used.

Good luck!

CHT - ELECTRONIC ENGINE CONTROLS.pdf

Edited by autom8r
  • Like 1