Is towing package a rip-off?

Hi guys, I am new here and looking to get a new 2011 Edge base model.

I have a boat that is about 1900 pounds with the trailer that i need to tow.

The problem is that base model has no option to install a towing package (bigger rad, Engine Oil cooler and upgraded cooling fans, as per brochure). To install this package I need to go one model up to SEL which is about 5g's.

So the question is, would I be ok with just an aftermarket hitch or i need to go one level up?

To me it seems like ford is just trying to upsell. I am not sure if the bigger fans, bigger rad and oil cooler make such a huge deal.

Thanks in advance for your opinions

Oleg

Hi guys, I am new here and looking to get a new 2011 Edge base model.

I have a boat that is about 1900 pounds with the trailer that i need to tow.

The problem is that base model has no option to install a towing package (bigger rad, Engine Oil cooler and upgraded cooling fans, as per brochure). To install this package I need to go one model up to SEL which is about 5g's.

So the question is, would I be ok with just an aftermarket hitch or i need to go one level up?

To me it seems like ford is just trying to upsell. I am not sure if the bigger fans, bigger rad and oil cooler make such a huge deal.

Thanks in advance for your opinions

Oleg

The price difference between a SE and SEL is $2500-$3000, not $5K. By the time you add an aftermarket hitch and coolers and wiring and modify the bumper you'll probably be halfway to the cost of the SEL anyway. Get the SEL and enjoy the extra stuff and you won't have to worry whether the aftermarket stuff was done right.

depending on how much you haul that boat around, I.e. every weekend? Or Twice a year putting it in and taking it out? I think the tow package is well worth it. Id tell you to go for it and go up a level to get it.

That would be every weekend, sometimes twice the week, but not very far 30-40 km one way

I forgot to mention that I am in Canada, so the price difference is 5000 plus 500 for the towing package

That would be every weekend, sometimes twice the week, but not very far 30-40 km one way

I forgot to mention that I am in Canada, so the price difference is 5000 plus 500 for the towing package

Your post prompted me to check Ford's website and the list price difference between the base SE & the base SEL with tow package is $6,500 or close to $7,400 with taxes.

There are a couple of other considerations.

- at 1900 lbs you are at a little over half of the tow capacity of the vehicle

- boats tend to more aerodynamic than a lot of other trailers

- the tow package would have been designed so that you can safely tow in all seasons in North America. We don't see the same high temperatures in Canada that you would see in the southern US.

- a transmission cooler should be relatively inexpensive to add if you are concerned about the temps where you live.

Your post prompted me to check Ford's website and the list price difference between the base SE & the base SEL with tow package is $6,500 or close to $7,400 with taxes.

There are a couple of other considerations.

- at 1900 lbs you are at a little over half of the tow capacity of the vehicle

- boats tend to more aerodynamic than a lot of other trailers

- the tow package would have been designed so that you can safely tow in all seasons in North America. We don't see the same high temperatures in Canada that you would see in the southern US.

- a transmission cooler should be relatively inexpensive to add if you are concerned about the temps where you live.

ou know what is interesting, it is that transmission cooler is not even in tow package..... Looks like it is even in base model.

So I am thinking about getting an SE and throwing a hitch on it. The towing withoit the package is listed at 2000. The boat itself is actually only 1500, but I have added the gear and such.