Fuel gauge problem

slt780

I have a 2008 Edge Limited that seems to have a problem with the fuel gauge. It seems that when I put fuel in it, the gauge is very slow to react, I pulled the float and tested it and it seems to work properly. Anyone else experience this and have any suggestions?

Thanks

I have a 2008 Edge Limited that seems to have a problem with the fuel gauge. It seems that when I put fuel in it, the gauge is very slow to react, I pulled the float and tested it and it seems to work properly. Anyone else experience this and have any suggestions?

Thanks

Are you turning off the vehicle when you're fueling it?

Are you turning off the vehicle when you're fueling it?

Yeah...

Went out to clean it yesterday and turned the key on and now the gauge and DTE are reading correct. It seems that it takes awhile for it to get the correct reading. Is this common?

Edited by slt780

Yeah...

Went out to clean it yesterday and turned the key on and now the gauge and DTE are reading correct. It seems that it takes awhile for it to get the correct reading. Is this common?

Hi slt780. :D No, not a common problem. Usually only occurs when the driver forgets to turn off the car during refueling (as akirby alluded to). That means key to the complete "Off" position. When that situation occurs, the gauge often will not read correctly for a long period of time, or until the vehicle is turned off and restarted, as the Owners Manual explains (in other words, user error).

If you are turning off the car during refueling and this continues to occur, then you may have another issue which should be checked into.

Keep us updated.

Good luck. :beerchug:

It seems that if there is 1/4 tank of gas in the car and I put , lets say, 1/2 a tanks worth of gas, the needle will immediately rise once I start ther car but if there is any less than 1/4 tank when I put gas in it, the needle and DTE are very slow to respond to this extra fuel. Very weird. I will tell you that this vehicle was in an accident in the driver's side 1/4 panel...could that have somehow damaged the float assembly? Like I said above, I removed the assembly and tested it with an ohmeter and it seems to be working. Maybe I should try replacing the assembly to see if that's the problem. Weird that I only have a problem when there is less than 1/4 tank of gas in the vehicle.

• 4 years later...