PTU/transmission leak?

I just bought a Deep Amethyst 2007 Edge SEL AWD with just under 30,000 miles on it. I was having a problem with a burning smell so I took it to my dealer. I have the 100,000 mile Ford Premium Care extended service plan. My service guy said he was ordering a "transmission seal kit" because I have a transmission leak causing the smell. I've been reading these message boards and I'm hearing PTU over and over. Is the "transmission seal" my dealer ordered for me, the same as this PTU seal? They won't be open again until Monday, or I'd just call and ask them. I don't want repeated trips to the dealer to fix this problem.

Thanks in advance for any help.

I just bought a Deep Amethyst 2007 Edge SEL AWD with just under 30,000 miles on it. I was having a problem with a burning smell so I took it to my dealer. I have the 100,000 mile Ford Premium Care extended service plan. My service guy said he was ordering a "transmission seal kit" because I have a transmission leak causing the smell. I've been reading these message boards and I'm hearing PTU over and over. Is the "transmission seal" my dealer ordered for me, the same as this PTU seal? They won't be open again until Monday, or I'd just call and ask them. I don't want repeated trips to the dealer to fix this problem.

Thanks in advance for any help.

I haven't heard anything about a transmission seal failing. Could be. The burning smell sure sounds like PTU. I'd just ask for clarification. Axle seal is the PTU. Please keep us posted on what they do. Mine is going in this morning for the 10th time and maybe if there is a transmission seal causing it I can try to point them to look at that.

• 1 month later...

I haven't heard anything about a transmission seal failing. Could be. The burning smell sure sounds like PTU. I'd just ask for clarification. Axle seal is the PTU. Please keep us posted on what they do. Mine is going in this morning for the 10th time and maybe if there is a transmission seal causing it I can try to point them to look at that.

It's been 6 weeks since the Edge was in the shop for the burning smell. The part they replaced was part number 8T4Z-7275-DD, just listed as "seal kit" on the invoice. No more burning smell!!!!!!!!!!!! :happy feet:

They also replaced a exhausted clamp and a blown speaker :rockon: . I sure wish my Edge had the Shaker 1000 system like I have in my Mustang or the Bose system I have in my Chevy Z71.

Now it is a great daily driver :shift:

If I could just get better gas mileage. 17.8mpg is tough running up and down the foothills of WV on 2-lane winding roads.

• 11 months later...

I have a 2009 SEL but NOT the AWD. is this problem only in the AWD models? I get a strong smell only on the outside of the car but it is a very strong smell like you are all describing. I am well within my CERTIFIED warranty so I want to start my fight too if I need to.

• 8 months later...

I have a 2011 Edge Limited AWD. At about 14K miles I noticed drops of fluid on the garage floor and brought the vehicle to the dealer to have it checked. Dealer told me it was bad PTU seals that were not properly installed during the manufacturing process. It took them upwards of 2 weeks to get all necessary parts in and complete the repairs. About 6 months later, I noticed that the vehicle had started leaking again - very distinct red fluid. At 27K miles, I started smelling a burning smell inside and out; I got out to inspect the vehicle with the engine running and saw wisps of smoke coming up from underneath through the engine compartment. I could also see fluid seeping down onto what I believe is the exhaust manifold and smoking off. Very carefully brought the vehicle to the dealer service department where it now sits. Will update when I get word.

Edited by SpectreEdge

• 4 months later...