Sririus Travel Link Weather Map Problems

For the last few days whenever I have tried to use the weather function on the Sirius Travel Link I get a pop up window that states "Acquiring weather data...may take several minutes, and then the pop up window disappears and nothing happens. It appears to be locked up like it needs a reboot. There is also an hourglass icon on the weather button. All of the other travel services, fuel prices, movie listings, traffic, etc work just fine. I have talked to Sirius about this twice, they have sent "signals" to my car, and yet no luck. They said to have the dealer look at it because it is probably a hardware problem. Everything else works so it sounds like a software problem to me. Any suggestions?

I have seen the hourglass issue before with the weather. It eventually fixed itself for me as well.

Ā 

I have had one other weird thing with the weather map. At one point we used the search tool to look up weather in another area of the country. After doing that every time I would start up the car an go to the weather map instead of focusing the map on my current location it would instead focus on the last area we had searched for. It kept this up for several days. The 5 Day Fourcast screen would always default to "nearby area" as it always had. Eventually I did a search on my nearby area and now my map comes on centered on my car location. Seems kind of weird that you would have to do that, maybe it's a feature instead of a bug?

• 1 year later...

I'm about to activate my Sirius and travel link. I'm told by several people to not take the first offer. You can bargain with them to get a better price and then at renewal ... do it again.

Ā 

Question is ... is the travel link built into a package with Sirius, a separate add-on, or purchased from some where else all together.

Ā 

And what is a good price for the mid line package ? I think it's called Select 130 ?

Ā 

Answer is: Sirius Travel Linkā„¢ and Sirius Trafficā„¢ are add-ons to what ever package you're getting or have. $1.99 and $3.99 respectively.

Edited by Tacyon

• 3 weeks later...

Answer is: Sirius Travel Linkā„¢ and Sirius Trafficā„¢ are add-ons to what ever package you're getting or have. $1.99 and $3.99 respectively.

Ā 

Can anybody tell me if I could get Sirius Travel Link and Sirius Traffic all by themselves? My free trial period is up and honestly I think I'll use those two features a lot more than the Sirius radio stations.

Ā 

Peace,

Ā 

DM

• 2 weeks later...

We purchased our new Ford Edge in early 2012. Sirius Weather Radar Map have never worked reliably. We recently had a horrible weather system come through the Mid Atlantic Area while on the road June 29th 2012. We could not view Weather Maps. We were hoping the "Performance Upgrade" was going to resolve this issue but never did. Ford replaced the entertainment head unit in the dash board. We continued to have this issue. Before the head unit was replaced we could see Charts and Storm data but not Radar. With the replacement of the head unit we see none of the weather overlays, Radar, Storm or Charts. It's been pretty frustrating. At times we only see some of the Sirius Weather Radar Map. There is a defined cutoff of the Map Image with no Chart Data. The only way to resolve this symptom was by removing thumb drive and SD card than performing a "Master Reset". Once Master Reset was complete, we would plug in the Navigation SD Card. All of the functions of Sirius Weather would return to normal.

Ā 

I just received an update from Ford. They are aware of this specific issue. See comment from our Ford Dealer below. The battery disconnect did not resolve this issue but removing the Navigation SD card and re-installing did temporary fix the problem.

Ā 

Ā 

"Since the prior contact engineering is investigating this concern, please monitor Oasis for updates. In the interim, removing the SD card or performing a battery disconnect should temporarily resolve the concern."

Ā 

'monitoring Oasis' is watching for a Field Service Action or Technical Service Bulletin to bring in affected vehicles once Ford has a resolution, which they clearly do not have at this time. I will monitor the situation, but we are on a wait and see setting at this time. If you would like for us to attempt the reset noted by Hotline above (battery disconnect/SD card removal) for a possible temporary resolution, please feel free to stop

Ā 

Weather map is not displaying a weather map for the past two days. I displays a traffic map, and believe me yesterday's storm would have shown plenty of radar activity on the map!

Edited by editwiz

• 5 weeks later...

Like editwiz, we've had continuous problems with Travel Link... including the Ford's Fault -Sirius' Fault finger pointing. Once you start paying for Travel Link non-performance becomes an issue. We had some nice storms in the area and zooming way out showed absolutely nothing on the radar/storm/chart maps.

Ā 

Went to the dealer (I think it was the 5th time AND after the March refresh) who asked me if I disconnected the battery - as if that would be the obvious solution. (Yes I saw that and pull fuse 29 but why in God's great earth would an ordinary Joe Edge owner need to do that?).

Ā 

We've done more Master Resets than I can count and I'd pull the battery connections (dealer did it for me once) if I didn't keep losing all my customization settings.

Ā 

As a software engineer I can't imagine designing a system that didn't keep preferences in a non-volatile portion of memory.

Ā 

As far a Sirius subscriptions - in my case I had to buy the radio service and then add-on Travel Link and Traffic options - offer to pay for a long term subscription to get a decent price - I think my offer was about $70 for 6 months.

Ā 

But then other than fuel prices it hasn't been all that reliable (I guess I have to get adept at pulling the battery connection).

When Sirius Weather Radar Maps are displayed, its difficult to determine the direction the weather is coming. The frame rate on Sirius Radar Maps are very slow to update. I wish Ford would provide a GPS product with Weather Radar Maps that have a higher frame rate. This is not an issue on my Garmin GPS640 navigation system. It appears that the proprietary navigation system that is part of Fords product line has this low frame rate issue. Ford when are you going to adopt the Garmin Product like other car manufactures? By the way we love our Ford Edge!!